GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wasn't too impressed with the Getaway"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Getaway'.
Wed 04/12/02 at 21:37
Regular
For those of you that have played the demo, were you really really amazed by it. I was expecting it to be like 10X better than Vice City but it wasn't. Sure the graphics were, but the controls and camera angles were awful and the way the cars were handled were a bit too realistic it ruined it.

The gun fighting was excellent though.

Your thoughts?
Thu 05/12/02 at 21:49
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I'm getting on the release date. But where from?
Thu 05/12/02 at 21:47
what you have to remember though is that its a demo, it doesn't show the finished quality of the final thing. when demos are made the game's are usally going through their tweeking stage, trying to make to polish it off and improve some aspects of it.

i wouldn't say i'd buy it just yet, i'll go into SR once its out and have a go there. to play the finished game it a far better way to judge if a games good or not.
Thu 05/12/02 at 19:54
Awwwwwwww, I was reaally looking forward to this game. And everyone hates it? Or just thinks it is inferior to say Vice City?
Thu 05/12/02 at 19:15
Regular
"Max Power"
i dont think it was that good when i played it just like Vice city it was too hyped up
Thu 05/12/02 at 19:13
Regular
"I dont like tagline"
Blank wrote:
> Possum in a bottle wrote:
> the way the cars were handled were a bit too realistic
>
> That's like saying "He's more like Michael Jackson than Michael
> Jackson", one of the most stupid phrases of our time. So, you'd
> like everything to be perfectly realistic apart from the handling,
> then? Like....you press left, it goes right? Or maybe you'd like
> everything to be less realistic? Buckingham Palace in psychadelic
> pink, Skodas that are twenty feet high, people walking on their hands
> around the nation's capital?

I thought the cars handling was quite similar to GTA3, i didnt seem to be that realistic at all.
Thu 05/12/02 at 18:56
Possum in a bottle wrote:
> the way the cars were handled were a bit too realistic

That's like saying "He's more like Michael Jackson than Michael Jackson", one of the most stupid phrases of our time. So, you'd like everything to be perfectly realistic apart from the handling, then? Like....you press left, it goes right? Or maybe you'd like everything to be less realistic? Buckingham Palace in psychadelic pink, Skodas that are twenty feet high, people walking on their hands around the nation's capital?
Thu 05/12/02 at 16:47
Regular
"Notable"
the getaway reminds me of mafia on the P.C
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:29
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I wasn't talking about the games graphical style; I was talking about the games graphical glitches, which I've been noticing allot since I got the game. At one point I turned a corner when I was in a car only to hit an invisible wall, well it was invisible for a couple of seconds before the actual wall faded in.

Its things like that I'm talking about, and it's the only real gripe I have with the game.
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:18
Regular
"360: swfcman"
In all honesty, i think the GTA graphics are like what they are on purpose. If your going to have ultra realistic graphics for a game with GTA's content then your putting your self in the firing line for some real back lash from many people. keeping the graphics to a 'cartoony' style keeps the game away from that, and means its not going to be taken as seriously.

Saying that though, some of the building were a little plain when you are traveling around, and many often look the same. A bit of colour or variety wouldnt have gone a miss.

As for Getaway, i like what ive seen and read, im looking foward to this game.
Thu 05/12/02 at 13:06
Regular
"A man with a stick"
To be honest the graphics in Vice City weren't all they where cracked up to be. They where slightly improved in areas, but lacking in others. There's allot more pop-up, much more noticeable slow down and there's a wealth of small graphical glitches that I've noticed around the game such as seeing characters and cars getting stuck in scenery.

The graphics in the Getaway are better, pop-up is reduced, slowdown is minimal and the buildings, roads, cars ect... look great. Not that I'd rate games on their graphical quality, but to me the getaway looks a hell of allot better than the slightly rushed job the developers did on Vice City.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.