GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Office Ultimate Edition for just £38.95"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/09/07 at 22:14
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Wowza! I have OpenOffice.org anyway, which is free, but I might get this just for the sake of getting Publisher and a few other apps in that package. It really is the ultimate steal, especially from Microsoft! Well, not literally - you don't steal it. And it's perfectly legitimate from Microsoft. However, you need to be able to prove that you're a student, with an NUS card or valid college email address or something.

Also, the thing about Office Ultimate is that it can be installed (legally) on two computers!

RRP: £599.99
But you can get it for just £38.95!

This is perfectly legit too. Honest. It's being advertised in my college.

http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk

I know there is a rule on the Freeola forums which disallows the posting of illegal downloads. Therefore, this post does not break that rule. It is legitimate. If it isn't, please accept my appologies and delete this thread. It looks legit to me...
Tue 02/10/07 at 20:03
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Twain wrote:
> My experience
> with all the Linux distros that I've used has differed each time,
> but there were a few common problems across the lot, like
> wireless not working, sound working only occasionally for no
> apparent reason without any user intervention, mouse and
> keyboard not working occasionally for no apparent reason, ad
> pretty mcuh every time I've used it, a problem with GRUB (GNU
> Really Useless Bootloader).

Hm, yes, wireless is a problem with Linux. It's gradually getting better, I think, but I don't have a wireless card so I don't know. Did you try ndiswrapper? I think tries to implement some Windows networking API on Linux so you can use the Windows drivers for your card.

> What I meant by "support" was support from developers,
> like a said. ie. there is very little software made for it that
> isn't open source. I don't mind that, but then who do you turn
> to when it goes wrong?

It's open source, you boot up a text editor and a compiler and figure it out yourself :)
No not really (unless you're hardcore), you go Googling, or you ask on the software's official forums, you ask on distro specific forums, you ask on general Linux forums, or if you can't find anything, you file a bug report.
I know that sounds terribly unreliable but it generally proves not to be. There is *a lot* of information in the Fedora and Ubuntu forums alone. And I'm not sure about you, but my limited experience with commercial customer support hasn't always inspired confidence.

> I don't find command lines scary, I just prefer the graphical
> way. You aren't forced into using the GUI for Windows. Well,
> okay, you are when it first boots, but you can load the command
> prompt from the Accessories menu in Windows and then Alt + Enter
> it to make it fullscreen. I know it's not the best command line
> interpreter ever,

It's an awful place to be! I mean, it's seriously limited. I don't think you can you edit text files or unzip/tar/rar/whatever things from a Windows command terminal? Whereas in Linux it's fairly trivial and aids so much in the efficiency of doing boring tasks. It's not at all designed with the thought of the user actually using it, it's assumed they'll use the GUI.

> A simple task of installing a program in Windows is basically
> starting the installer, and unless you want anything changed,
> you just click Next all the way through. If you want something
> changed, it's point and click.
>
> With Linux, you download a package instead, which you then have
> to unpack and issue commands via terminal to get it to unpack
> and install itself.

That's not entirely true about installing packages. If you want a package installed then there's a good chance it'll be in your distro's repositories, in which case you'll be able to use a GUI tool to just download it and the distro's package manager will sort out everything itself (with occasional exceptions that are fixed within a day or two). Or, you can download a binary (RPM, .deb, whatever is relevent for your distro) from a website and again, double clicking that should (if your file manager's set up right), install it using the package manager. This way is actually better to the Windows way, because you can run the update command and your entire system (or at least the bits handled by the package manager) is then up to date :)
If you download a source package though, then yes you do need to venture into the command line and compile it yourself. Things can get complicated from here if you don't have the right dependencies, but it's rarely necessary. And most of the dependencies can probably be found in your repos.

It sounds like the LiveCD you are talking about already had a root password set. I'm sure there's something in its documentation about obtaining root access, though I'm curious as to what you'd want to do with a liveCD that would require root.
Tue 02/10/07 at 22:13
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> It sounds like the LiveCD you are talking about already had a
> root password set. I'm sure there's something in its
> documentation about obtaining root access, though I'm curious as
> to what you'd want to do with a liveCD that would require root.

It was nothing serious. I was just exploring the Control Centre. I only wanted to look. I can't remember if, when I encountered this problem, if I was using Knoppix or Kubuntu. I think it was Knoppix. But anyway, when I checked the documentation to see what the password was, it said there wasn't one.

As for getting my wireless going, I never managed to get it because without my wireless, I can't get online, but I know that Linuxant DriverLoader supports my card.
Wed 03/10/07 at 11:42
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
As mentioned NDIS Wrapper supports most wireless chips. The problem is that some chip manufacturers refuse to release code for Linux or can't be bothered (Broadcom). This usually forces the Linux community to reverse engineer the Windows driver or add support to NDIS wrapper to use the Windows driver.
If you have a Debian based system (including Ubuntu), installing software is easy. Ubuntu has a GUI package manager called Synaptic, you just search, tick and the click install. Any other software that may be needed for you chosen package to run is also downloaded and installed. You can also do this on command line
apt-get install whatever or on a Redhat based system yum install whatever. There's nothing in Windows that lets you search and install for free or paid for software and installs it for you.
Wed 03/10/07 at 12:15
"nope"
Twain wrote:
> Wowza! I have OpenOffice.org anyway, which is free, but I might
> get this just for the sake of getting Publisher and a few other
> apps in that package. It really is the ultimate steal,
> especially from Microsoft! Well, not literally - you don't steal
> it. And it's perfectly legitimate from Microsoft. However, you
> need to be able to prove that you're a student, with an NUS card
> or valid college email address or something.
>
> Also, the thing about Office Ultimate is that it can be
> installed (legally) on two computers!
>
> RRP: £599.99
> But you can get it for just £38.95!
>
> This is perfectly legit too. Honest. It's being advertised in my
> college.
>
> http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk
>
> I know there is a rule on the Freeola forums which disallows the
> posting of illegal downloads. Therefore, this post does not break
> that rule. It is legitimate. If it isn't, please accept my
> appologies and delete this thread. It looks legit to me...

Hehe,

Did you read the entire license and expanded form?
Unless they have changed their license tactics you do not fully own your output.

Perhaps you do not care though. You probably upload your documents to google too so that they can scan for keywords and keep your exometricpsyche profile.

As for operating systems, you should use Spectrum OS it is the way forward (hahahhaa)
Wed 03/10/07 at 12:57
"nope"
Twain wrote:

> http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk
>

did you look at the versions of this site for other languages, we are the only country worthy of the shopping trolley image. I take this as an indication that only British students are cultured in the virtues of that great and powerful form of transportation.
Wed 03/10/07 at 13:08
"nope"
iggvopvantoodlewin wrote:
> Twain wrote:

> Hehe,
>
> Did you read the entire license and expanded form?
> Unless they have changed their license tactics you do not fully
> own your output.
>
> Perhaps you do not care though. You probably upload your
> documents to google too so that they can scan for keywords and
> keep your exometricpsyche profile.
>
> As for operating systems, you should use
> Spectrum OS it is
> the way forward (hahahhaa)

Can you tell if the above is completely unfounded... or in some part actual truth?
Thu 04/10/07 at 22:53
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Twain wrote:
> As for getting my wireless going, I never managed to get it
> because without my wireless, I can't get online, but I know that
> Linuxant DriverLoader supports my card.

Ah yes, the age old problem :) I don't know about other distros though, but in Fedora you can easily grab the relevant RPMs off the CD/DVD. I think you can even set up a local repository for yum.

Good to see you were going with KDE over that horrible GNOME environment though.
Fri 05/10/07 at 13:19
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I had Fedora Core 3 a while back, but still couldn't get my card working on that. I didn't know as much as I do now about it, but I still don't know much. Back then I was going on the advice one particular Linux fan, who I think tried to make me do too big a leap from Windows - starting me with Red Hat, then Mandrake, then Fedora Core 3, and then when he realised I wasn't understanding, he recommended a few easier ones, like Knoppix, Suse and Ubuntu. Ubuntu was the one I hated most, until I checked over their site and found out about Kubuntu, which is so much better! :)

All on Live CDs where available, obviously!

But still, I don't think my wireless card will work at all, except with DriverLoader, but I'm not sure. It's a USR card, see, and as far as I know, they only make drivers for Windows...
Fri 05/10/07 at 15:45
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
The latest version of Ubuntu (Kubuntu) 7.04 (or Feisty Fawn I think it's code named) has made big improvements to wireless. I think that is partly because manufacturers are beginning to come onboard and start actually supporting the Linux users, that was what always held up wireless functionality.
Fri 05/10/07 at 17:13
Regular
we got recommended www.software4students.co.uk by our school, they have more products and you don't need a .ac.uk e-mail address, it's open to everyone in education

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.