GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Office Ultimate Edition for just £38.95"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 30/09/07 at 22:14
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Wowza! I have OpenOffice.org anyway, which is free, but I might get this just for the sake of getting Publisher and a few other apps in that package. It really is the ultimate steal, especially from Microsoft! Well, not literally - you don't steal it. And it's perfectly legitimate from Microsoft. However, you need to be able to prove that you're a student, with an NUS card or valid college email address or something.

Also, the thing about Office Ultimate is that it can be installed (legally) on two computers!

RRP: £599.99
But you can get it for just £38.95!

This is perfectly legit too. Honest. It's being advertised in my college.

http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk

I know there is a rule on the Freeola forums which disallows the posting of illegal downloads. Therefore, this post does not break that rule. It is legitimate. If it isn't, please accept my appologies and delete this thread. It looks legit to me...
Sun 30/09/07 at 22:14
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Wowza! I have OpenOffice.org anyway, which is free, but I might get this just for the sake of getting Publisher and a few other apps in that package. It really is the ultimate steal, especially from Microsoft! Well, not literally - you don't steal it. And it's perfectly legitimate from Microsoft. However, you need to be able to prove that you're a student, with an NUS card or valid college email address or something.

Also, the thing about Office Ultimate is that it can be installed (legally) on two computers!

RRP: £599.99
But you can get it for just £38.95!

This is perfectly legit too. Honest. It's being advertised in my college.

http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk

I know there is a rule on the Freeola forums which disallows the posting of illegal downloads. Therefore, this post does not break that rule. It is legitimate. If it isn't, please accept my appologies and delete this thread. It looks legit to me...
Mon 01/10/07 at 11:15
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
It is legitimate. It seems that Microsoft are desperate to get people to switch to Office 2007 and Vista. I wonder if they'll sell Vista Ultimate for £5.85 (they're selling Office 2007 at about 6.5% of their original RRP).
Mon 01/10/07 at 19:37
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
This is even cheaper than what they charge for just one application from the Office suite I think.

I showed it to my lecturer at college today, who was naturally sceptical about it. We spent a good hour or two scrutinising the site, making sure it was legitimate.

Also, on MS's proper site microsoft.com, I can't remember how you get there, but there is a list of sites full of software for students at reduced prices, one of which had Halo on it (the first Halo). If anyone could enlighten me to how that helps with education, feel free to post!
Tue 02/10/07 at 10:00
Regular
I showed this to my youngest son today and he said that Mr Microsoft is the spawn of satan? my son loves his computer and is doing his HNC at college and I thought he would have snapped this deal up! but no I got told about how bad Mr Microsoft was and I was told not to mention this to anyone! my son actually decided a while ago that he would run Linux? as he did not like microsoft, that said he bought a new PC with vista premium and appears to be happy with that! (wonder if he knows vista is a Mr Microsoft thing?) any way if I download it for him will it run on XP ? thats my question

Kev
Tue 02/10/07 at 11:50
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Yes, it will run in XP. I assume it'll run in every edition of XP (Home, Pro, Media Center), but am not sure. I would expect it to. I know it runs in Home though.

We all believe Microsoft is the scum of the universe, but this is an offer I simply can't turn down! I'll go for anything as long as it's a half reasonable price for something that's normally a rip off!

I wonder if he knows how awkward Linux is, with its incompatibilities, command-line requirements and lack of support from software developers.

I've tried Linux many times with several distros, and will never ever go back ... unless maybe it's made as compatible as Windows is.

Just remind him that if it wasn't for Microsoft, we wouldn't have Halo. ;-)
Tue 02/10/07 at 12:51
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Oooh the Linux debate!
Anyone tried the latest Version of Ubuntu. Installed on my laptop and all the hardware worked, including the wireless. You try that with any version of Windows and I bet you'll have at least one driver to install.

As for support, you get more support from the Open Source community than you do for Microsoft. If a bug is found someone will fix it and you don't have to wait for MS to roll a fix into a Service Pack or a Patch Tuesday.

Aren't you using Open Office anyway Twain? That's Open Source and gets plenty of support.

The fact is the Linux is 'different' for your usual Windows desktop user. Probably in real terms it's no harder to use. With a lot of distros you probably never have to touch the command line if you don't want to. What's wrong with a little learning anyway, the command line isn't scary!
Tue 02/10/07 at 15:36
Regular
Hi Twain and Eccles thanks for the input.

Twain my son says as a student he feels £38 would be better spent else where and he also uses open office thingy and as he says its £38 cheaper and does his needs fine (its a good point actually) why spend money on some thing that you already have? now I need to go ponder his thoughts.

I use office 2003 on XP and its grand for my needs, how much better would the newer version be? or would it use more resources from my old PC and slow things down? Ohits a ballancing act this PC thingy.

Eccles ... command lines and linux? so my grounding in PCs goes back to spectrums and DOS are these the same comand prompts you refer to? My son says, "Linux does not get viruses " is that true? he says every virus ever invented was to get at Microsoft?
Tue 02/10/07 at 15:45
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
I've been running Fedora for about a year now and I can't realistically see any reason I'd have to go back to Windows.

And I completely disagree with the words/phrases 'awkward' and 'command line requirements'. The average user very rarely 'requires' the command line, anyway.
I now find Windows awkward because it actually forces you into a GUI environment for tasks which would be far easier and faster performed via a command line.
Tue 02/10/07 at 15:57
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Digi ~ Power wrote:
> Eccles ... command lines and linux? so my grounding in PCs goes
> back to spectrums and DOS are these the same comand prompts you
> refer to? My son says, "Linux does not get viruses "
> is that true?

Basically, yes. Linux has a tiny desktop market share so it's not going to be targeted by many viruses, but Linux does make it more difficult for software to do things behind the user's back than Windows does. Plus, unless it's got root access, all it's going to have available to it is a very small set of things.

Ach, sorry this was misleading. Yes it's possible to get viruses for Linux but they are incredibly rare, was what I meant.
Tue 02/10/07 at 17:28
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Eccles wrote:
> Oooh the Linux debate!
> Anyone tried the latest Version of Ubuntu. Installed on my
> laptop and all the hardware worked, including the wireless. You
> try that with any version of Windows and I bet you'll have at
> least one driver to install.

Yeah, two people on another forum that I use have problems with it already and have both had it less than a month! My experience with all the Linux distros that I've used has differed each time, but there were a few common problems across the lot, like wireless not working, sound working only occasionally for no apparent reason without any user intervention, mouse and keyboard not working occasionally for no apparent reason, ad pretty mcuh every time I've used it, a problem with GRUB (GNU Really Useless Bootloader).

> As for support, you get more support from the Open Source
> community than you do for Microsoft. If a bug is found someone
> will fix it and you don't have to wait for MS to roll a fix into
> a Service Pack or a Patch Tuesday.

What I meant by "support" was support from developers, like a said. ie. there is very little software made for it that isn't open source. I don't mind that, but then who do you turn to when it goes wrong?

> Aren't you using Open Office anyway Twain? That's Open Source
> and gets plenty of support.

Yeah, I am, and I know OOo is very similar to MS OFfice, but very often when saving OOo files as MS Office files, things are lost during the save or conversion. These things are usually images, presentation animations and sounds, the three most important things in my Interactive Media course. Also, I'm not keen on OpenOffice Draw. I prefer Publisher. And it doesn't come with anything like Outlook either, which is more than just an email program.

> The fact is the Linux is 'different' for your usual Windows
> desktop user. Probably in real terms it's no harder to use. With
> a lot of distros you probably never have to touch the command
> line if you don't want to. What's wrong with a little learning
> anyway, the command line isn't scary!

I don't find command lines scary, I just prefer the graphical way. You aren't forced into using the GUI for Windows. Well, okay, you are when it first boots, but you can load the command prompt from the Accessories menu in Windows and then Alt + Enter it to make it fullscreen. I know it's not the best command line interpreter ever, because it'll often throw you back out into Windows for the sake of asking a question in a dialog box rather than in the prompt, but apart from people who use UNIX (ie. UNIX, not an OS based on UNIX like Mac OS X)?

Bob_The_Moose wrote:
> I've been running Fedora for about a year now and I can't
> realistically see any reason I'd have to go back to Windows.
>
> And I completely disagree with the words/phrases 'awkward' and
> 'command line requirements'. The average user very rarely
> 'requires' the command line, anyway.
> I now find Windows awkward because it actually forces you into a
> GUI environment for tasks which would be far easier and faster
> performed via a command line.

Most other operating system apart from the one you use every day do tend to be awkward and that's probably why I find Linux awkward. I'm fine with actually using it for everyday stuff, but whenever I get a problem, it's back to the command line, where a lot of commands aren't all that obvious.

A simple task of installing a program in Windows is basically starting the installer, and unless you want anything changed, you just click Next all the way through. If you want something changed, it's point and click.

With Linux, you download a package instead, which you then have to unpack and issue commands via terminal to get it to unpack and install itself.

I know I don't know much about what I'm saying, because that's about as far as I got with it when I realised how awkward it was. Installing a distro of Linux itself is really easy, but once you're in it, not so much.

With every Live CD I've used of Linux distros, if I ever wanted to change something simple within the control centre, I'd need root access, so it'd ask for a password. But becauset he Live CDs don't have a password associated with root by default, you'd leave it blank, yes? No - it'd complain that the password is invalid. So you go to set the root password, and it'd ask for the current one first, which is obviously for security so that not just anyone can change the password. SO, because there's no password, you leave it blank and enter a new password, yes? No - it complains that you haven't provided the correct password, which is blank anyway! So you end up not being allowed to do anything useful with it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.