GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Gamecube will go online next year!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/12/02 at 12:35
Regular
An official statement has been published by Nintendo Europe on their website. Here is an extract:

Plus there's a storming line-up of third-party titles, including the Nintendo GameCube-exclusive Resident Evil 0 (the long-awaited prequel to the survival horror series). Other highlights include the legendary RPG Phantasy Star Online, which will use the forthcoming broadband and modem adaptors, and speherical simian sequel Super Monkey Ball 2

It explains that we will get the online adapters next year. This statemeent is part of the 2003 release dates news article from www.nintendo.co.uk
Sat 07/12/02 at 20:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
512k... ha! You're joking right?

When BT originally announced their plans, you would be getting four times that at the same price. But BT decided to split connections accross households so that, if more than a few houses on one road are all surfing at the same time, the connection speed is cut down drastically. BT's 512k connection speed is based on the fact that no more than about half the houses with broadband plugged into a local exchange* will use it at the same time. If they all decide to download a song then the connect suffers.

Sonic

*Local exchanges don't actually exist anymore... it's just the term used for your local telephone network
Sat 07/12/02 at 20:52
Regular
My friend uses BT BB, he gets 250k upload and about 350k download.
Sat 07/12/02 at 20:56
"+ suspicious minds"
you tell alco-neB, you tell him whitestripes, you tell him about the legend of the buxham wenchmobile!
Sat 07/12/02 at 21:08
Regular
"^_^"
I would just like to point out that it is in Bits not bytes. So a 56k modem is 56kiloBITS.

There are 8 BITS in a BYTE so your 56k modem is actually connected at 7KiloBytes.

So my 128K broardband is only running at 16KileBytes!
Sat 07/12/02 at 21:26
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Whitestripes wrote:
> There was no beta test, not a public one. It isn't needed because SEGA
> are doing the network,

So Sega are doing this much vaunted network, which also includes the PS2,supposedly, and it's going to run from day one without extensive testing....and whilst it's a no brainer that the online stuff goes on sale the same day as Phantasy Star, that still does not address the question of gamers communicating... and how you can ahve a gaming network that, by using broadband and dial up, is effectively a two tier system - all the top players will have broadband and be untouchable to dial up users.

At least Sony is sticking to broadband. Whilst most gamers have easy access to dial up connections, the fact that they suck for games is undeniables, at the very least ISDN should be a minimum.#

One way or another Britain has to improve broadband access - which is stupidly expensive if you can't go the cable way - or we'll be left behind the rest of the normal, and gaming, world :(

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 07/12/02 at 21:34
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
phi11ip wrote:
> You get pings of 200+ with a 56k on the whole...
>
> That is enough though to really make a game hard...
>
> Your accuracy on FPS goes downhill an it just turns the game into a
> game of luck...

Ture. I kinda have quick guessing of where a person will jump too.

Hehe, I image u jumping the way the rocket will be headed.
Sat 07/12/02 at 22:31
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Parr wrote:
> I would just like to point out that it is in Bits not bytes. So a 56k
> modem is 56kiloBITS.
>
> There are 8 BITS in a BYTE so your 56k modem is actually connected at
> 7KiloBytes.
>
> So my 128K broardband is only running at 16KileBytes!

Did you not read my posts? There is no such thing as a 56k (bits) modem. 56k "modems" send data using a normal 28.8k mode, and receive things at about 46k max!

Oh, and Whitestripes, I hope you now understand why your friend doesn't get the full 512k connection speed. It's another example of BT's money-making arm cutting down on quality of service.
Sat 07/12/02 at 22:35
Regular
"^_^"
Yeah, you are right Sonic. my 56k only connects at 44k max!
Sat 07/12/02 at 22:40
Regular
My little internet connection box in my sytems tray say

connected at 52000 bps

Does that sound about right?

I can't wait to ghet broadband
*dances in circles*
Sat 07/12/02 at 23:17
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Whitestripes wrote:
> There was no beta test, not a public one. It isn't needed because
> SEGA
> are doing the network,
> ****
> So Sega are doing this much vaunted network, which also includes the
> PS2,supposedly, and it's going to run from day one without extensive
> testing....

Without public testing

And it doesn't need public testing. Every new PC game that comes out isn't given a public test is it? Why? Because the networks are already in place. Same thing applies.

and whilst it's a no brainer that the online stuff goes on
> sale the same day as Phantasy Star, that still does not address the
> question of gamers communicating...

Haven't you seen the keyboard? It's a normal GC controller with a keyboard in the middle seperating the two halves of it. It looks really cool.

and how you can ahve a gaming
> network that, by using broadband and dial up, is effectively a two
> tier system - all the top players will have broadband and be
> untouchable to dial up users.
>

> One way or another Britain has to improve broadband access - which is
> stupidly expensive if you can't go the cable way - or we'll be left
> behind the rest of the normal, and gaming, world :(
>

Well to be fair, 98% of users in America and Japan will be using broadband, so it isn't really a problem. I don't know any Americans who don't have an ISDN speed equivalant or higher. So really, it's just down to Britain being so far behind, the modem will probably only ever be used by us :(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.