GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Gamecube will go online next year!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/12/02 at 12:35
Regular
An official statement has been published by Nintendo Europe on their website. Here is an extract:

Plus there's a storming line-up of third-party titles, including the Nintendo GameCube-exclusive Resident Evil 0 (the long-awaited prequel to the survival horror series). Other highlights include the legendary RPG Phantasy Star Online, which will use the forthcoming broadband and modem adaptors, and speherical simian sequel Super Monkey Ball 2

It explains that we will get the online adapters next year. This statemeent is part of the 2003 release dates news article from www.nintendo.co.uk
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:01
Regular
Aha

Actually, So do I...damn all those lost Lightsaber battles
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:06
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Ask a stupid question.....

But where is the release date for the online adapter, and what about a beta test, and how are you supposed to communicate with others... and it's supposed to be out in Q1 !? Theres a hell of a lot of vagueness.

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:13
"+ suspicious minds"
stop being so intellegent, you cackpants!
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:18
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
phi11ip wrote:
> Belive me, the lag on a 56k modem is HUGE!
>
> I played quake 3 on a modem and got a 150 ping which is really
> annoying!
>
> On my 128k cable line though I can get pings of 15 easily!
>
> The difference is amazing!
>
> I hate playing games on modems though, I rarely did it!

I think you exaggerate... I remember years ago, playing Team Fortress Classic (Half-Life mod) over my 28.8k modem. My ping was usually 250-350, and hardly anyone had a ping under 100 (except the host of the game). The game was still perfectly playable, although you did get a fair bit of lag if there was a lot of fighting and explosions going on... But still...
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:25
Regular
It's already happening in America and Japan.

There was no beta test, not a public one. It isn't needed because SEGA are doing the network, and they alredy had it set up with the Dreamcast, which by the way, had no public testing either.

The modem and adaptor go o nsale the same day as the game is released, so when PSO has a release date so will they.
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:30
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
You get pings of 200+ with a 56k on the whole...

That is enough though to really make a game hard...

Your accuracy on FPS goes downhill an it just turns the game into a game of luck...
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:37
Regular
ellisuk wrote:
> Alcofrolic wrote:
> Roobo wrote:
> Will it just be braodband?
>
>
> no, there is the other, slower option of dial up, which in my
> opinion
> is very lame and a waste of money
>
> but thats MY opinion
>
> Actually, I don't think it would be that bad at all. The Dreamcast
> only used a 33k modem and the online games played perfectly with no
> slowdown at all. Therefore a 56k modem would run GC games perfectly.
> I'd still prefer it on broadband because it will run better than
> perfect.
>
> It someone with broadband had a game against a dial-up user then the
> advantage would be on the broadband user as it has less, if any, lag
> time.

the main reason that dc was ok is cos of the low resolution and slow refresh rate
and the less amount of people playing at the same time
Sat 07/12/02 at 20:23
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Just to point out to people here that 56k modems don't actually run at 56k at all. They have a maximum of 53k, but the best you will get down a telephone line is 46k. Oh, and that's just in one direction! When you are SENDING data, the modem acts exactly like a 28.8k modem. You can only receive at 46k.

Sonic
Sat 07/12/02 at 20:33
Regular
At least I will (hopefully) be gettingh broadband soon, very soon, probably a 512k connection, imagine the ping on that...
My lucky friend got broadband installed yesterday and gets a free 1024k connection for a month, he went on a downloading frenzy!
Sat 07/12/02 at 20:41
Regular
I've just looked on bt.com and my town is over half way to getting broadband.

In conclusion

Only another year to go before I can get broadband.

:(

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.