GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Emailing one's self"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/01/13 at 20:39
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Is it by design thet you can't send an email to yourself (MAPI)?

On my Andriod tablet I wanted to email a document (pdf) to myself so I could pick it up off my laptop and print it... but the message kept getting bounced with a message stating:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host mx6.freeola.com [109.71.173.47]: 550 Sender address has been blacklisted
Wed 06/02/13 at 13:11
"Are you sure?"
Hi dean5,
I'm not sure that sounds right.

Surely if you block someone, whether they be malicious or just keep sending bad jokes, you don't want to tell them they are blocked?

In the past Freeola didn't send similar failure type messages when incorrect accounts were used. Freeola's Bob explained in this old post how it was connected to spammers and server load.

I notice now that things have moved on a bit and aren't consistent.
Standard Freeola email does now send a failure message if you try [email protected] while EmailPro doesn't send any response.

I would rather NO error was returned when blacklisting and/or if someone is using a dictionary attack on your domain.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 06/02/13 at 12:31
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
I'd expect that this is what is supposed to happen. From what I understand, those that send spam messages in mass are more likely to remove your address from their list if they get this message, then if they don't get a bounce.

If they get this bounce, it gives a "550" code which is also often used for user unknown. As it's unlikely that they will read the message accompanying the code manually, this should be enough to tell them your address doesn't exist (and maybe remove you from the list).

On the other hand if a legitimate sender contacts you on your address, they are likely to read the message after the code on the bounce and get in touch (like in your case with sending to your own address).

If no bounce message was sent, as far as the sender is concerned, the message has gone through successfully, you've received it and it is safe to keep sending messages through. This means that if they are sending spam, your email address is likely to remain on the list.

The other problem with this is if a legitimate sender tries to contact you, they are not aware that there has been a problem, and would think you have received the message.
Wed 06/02/13 at 10:01
"Are you sure?"
I've just setup a 'blacklist' test and also received the 'blacklisted' failure message.

Could Freeola please say if they need a Support Ticket to investigate this?

Thanks,
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 04/02/13 at 22:13
"Are you sure?"
Not too good.
I'm sure I didn't see any bounce when I tested this a while back.
Hopefully Freeola can stop the message.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 04/02/13 at 21:25
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Bounce message from blacklisted email address sent outside of my domains/freeola.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected]
A problem occurred during the delivery of this message to this e-mail address. Try sending this message again. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

The following organization rejected your message: mx6.freeola.com.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: severname.domain.co.uk

[email protected]
mx6.freeola.com #<mx6.freeola.com #5.0.0 smtp; 550 Sender address has been blacklisted> #SMTP#

remainder of message removed....

Any spammer getting this back will know that the lights are on and there's someone home.

JTD
Fri 01/02/13 at 20:43
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
good thought.... I will do that and let you know.
Thu 31/01/13 at 21:44
"Are you sure?"
Try testing things with a third party email account - when I've tested my emailpro blacklisting in the past I didn't see any bounce message.

I'm guessing you only saw the error due to your IMAP setup.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 31/01/13 at 21:20
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
Just a further thought on this...

If a known spammer sends me an email - and his address is blocked - then he gets a notification stating the mail has not been delivered because he is blacklisted.

Does this not give the spammer the green light to spam me all the more using a different address because he knows my address is active?
Wed 30/01/13 at 21:27
Regular
"Ctrl, Alt, Woof"
*sigh* how did that happen? (rhet)

Sorted.

Thanks.
Wed 30/01/13 at 15:49
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I would STRONGLY advise checking your blacklist for, what I assume, is your main address. This is likely to shed some light on the problem.

:)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.