GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"General Web/Technical Chat"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 25/10/12 at 22:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Read the title of this thread .... where is it?

Well it's here now ... so start webbing and technicalling chatting ...

Google 'exposed'

End of Windows?

Not all surprising, but worthy of a read :¬)
Wed 16/01/13 at 16:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hoorah McLong and Team ... works a treat :¬)

Edit: Super quick now Team McLong
Wed 16/01/13 at 15:30
Regular
Yeah this was just a temporary cookie for the Chat pages only, so you guys could let us know if it solved the problems.

It seems like the Facebook plugin was the cause of the issues, so we'll have a little discussion shortly and decide whether it's worth ditching the plugins from the entire site completely.

Will let you know about this. Thanks for testing it for us.

Edit: Well, that was a quick discussion. Unanimous decision to ditch the Facebook plugins from our network completely.

Hopefully every page should load within a normal amount of time for you guys now. Please let us know otherwise, and thanks again for helping us test it.
Wed 16/01/13 at 13:42
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Nice McLong ... a vast improvement and thanks :¬)

EDIT: Still seems to appear on Freeola Gaming main page though
cheats.freeola.com/gaming/
Wed 16/01/13 at 13:14
"Are you sure?"
Seems better for me! :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 16/01/13 at 13:05
Regular
Hmm, the cookie has no effect on that page. Give me a moment and I'll get that sorted.

Edit: Ok, with the cookie set, Facebook should also be removed from that page too now.
Wed 16/01/13 at 12:57
"Are you sure?"
Seems to improve things for me :¬)

But... I'm also finding these pages: http://chat.freeola.com/Games-3-chat/ still hang after loading. Should they have improved as well?

I get a 'done' in IE8 but have to wait a second or two for the progress bar to complete before I can use the browser again.

No problems in Chrome - so to be fair (for me) I think it's because IE8 is really starting to creak!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 16/01/13 at 12:42
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Ok, here's something for you to try:

Visit this URL to set a cookie: No Facebook Plugin.
This will set a cookie on the chat.freeola.com domain only that will stop the Facebook stuff being called. Try that and let me know how it goes. If you visit any other part of the site, such as cheats or walkthroughs the cookie will have no affect, so could be handy to compare.
Wed 16/01/13 at 12:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks Eccles
Wed 16/01/13 at 12:05
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I will pass on the feedback about the Facebook stuff. To me it does seem a little pointless but then I don't really 'do' Facebook! It certainly seems to be the main cause of the page loading problems and need looking into.
Tue 15/01/13 at 20:02
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
That you can ignore for now DL. Not a lot we can do about the Facebook stuff.
If you look at Freeola.com that has already been pretty optimised but you're saying you still get the occasional pause?

Sorry Eccles, it's just nice for it to be finally recognised that certain 'links' have become detrimental to a perfectly working site especially "the Facebook stuff"! I'd love to know it's 'value' ... most of the 'likes' are 'public' and/or 'company profiles' ... totally worthless! If I remember correctly, I made comment and pb replied about a year ago regarding the decline in 'Facebook likes' ... it stood at over 1000 then, seems to be in decline now and so is probably worthless ... except it probably does fill a gap in some site pages.

As for the 'occasional pause' ... the 'pause' is like forever and the solution is to stop the page loading and refresh or reboot the router!

Now, if I change my Home page from Freeola to whatever ... it doesn't happen as much!

Got to thinking though, I need to change my newish router to something else and NOT Netgear;¬)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.