GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Movie Remakes - are there any good ones?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/10/12 at 11:04
"possibly impossible"
After seeing how badly Total Recall turned out, I was trying to think of a good movie remake and I just couldn't think of that many.

I can think of plenty of terrible or just plain pointless ones; Bedazzled, Psycho, carrie, The Omen and many more.

A few good ones come to mind; The Birdcage, Always, Ben Hur, Brewsters Millions, The Magnificent Seven, Flash Gordon.

So I was wondering, why bother at all if the original is any good?

There are several types of remake; foreign films remade for an English market (The Ring, Vanilla Sky, Dark Water, REC), modern remakes of really old films (Sabrina, Ben Hur), different takes on the same theme or alternate versions that are not sequels (Planet of the Apes, I Am Legend).

Any that you can think of?
Fri 12/10/12 at 13:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Oceans Eleven
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The Fly
You've Got Mail

Maybe The Thing and True Gritt but I bet the makers would argue their "remakes" are based off the books more than the previous films.
Fri 12/10/12 at 13:13
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
I enjoyed Total Recall, the secret was not judging it against the original. As a sci-fi film on it's on, it was good.

In answer to the question; Dredd was by far better than the 90's version, although nobody went to see it.

I also enjoyed the American remake of 'Girl With a Dragon Tattoo' as much as the Swedish one.

Does The Hobbit count? Obviously the three upcoming films with outshine the old animated one.
Fri 12/10/12 at 11:04
"possibly impossible"
After seeing how badly Total Recall turned out, I was trying to think of a good movie remake and I just couldn't think of that many.

I can think of plenty of terrible or just plain pointless ones; Bedazzled, Psycho, carrie, The Omen and many more.

A few good ones come to mind; The Birdcage, Always, Ben Hur, Brewsters Millions, The Magnificent Seven, Flash Gordon.

So I was wondering, why bother at all if the original is any good?

There are several types of remake; foreign films remade for an English market (The Ring, Vanilla Sky, Dark Water, REC), modern remakes of really old films (Sabrina, Ben Hur), different takes on the same theme or alternate versions that are not sequels (Planet of the Apes, I Am Legend).

Any that you can think of?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.