GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Movie Remakes - are there any good ones?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/10/12 at 11:04
"possibly impossible"
After seeing how badly Total Recall turned out, I was trying to think of a good movie remake and I just couldn't think of that many.

I can think of plenty of terrible or just plain pointless ones; Bedazzled, Psycho, carrie, The Omen and many more.

A few good ones come to mind; The Birdcage, Always, Ben Hur, Brewsters Millions, The Magnificent Seven, Flash Gordon.

So I was wondering, why bother at all if the original is any good?

There are several types of remake; foreign films remade for an English market (The Ring, Vanilla Sky, Dark Water, REC), modern remakes of really old films (Sabrina, Ben Hur), different takes on the same theme or alternate versions that are not sequels (Planet of the Apes, I Am Legend).

Any that you can think of?
Wed 17/10/12 at 21:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
I can handle a bit of nastiness just as long as that's not all there is to it.

Forgive me pete and any others ... but just what is it about this 'Evil Dead/Zombies/Horror genre that seems to be so appealing within the movie business to day? We did have 'snuff movies' many years ago and they didn't seem to last long or maybe they did?
Wed 17/10/12 at 20:27
Regular
"I like turtles"
Just watched 'that' trailer for The Evil Dead remake, wasn't at all convinced that this was going to work but I'm secretly quite looking forward to it now. Looks like it's going to be quite a different beast than Sam Raimi's original. I can handle a bit of nastiness just as long as that's not all there is to it.
Tue 16/10/12 at 19:19
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Don't know why I watched it last night but I did ... 'Zulu' ... Stanley Baxter, Michael Caine, Nigel Green! 1964, one brilliant film and one that I hope that they don't remake!

I doubt that they would dare these days
Tue 16/10/12 at 18:04
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dr. Garin wrote:
Never seen the original but Cage's version is vaguely entertaining. Cage's craziness is perfectly suited to it.

So a remake can actually be better than the original then? Just as long as the original was bloody awful!
Tue 16/10/12 at 17:19
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
pete_21 wrote:
DL wrote:
[i]Haha pete ... that was brilliant :¬D

Really loved the plot of 'Space Ass' :¬)

If any of those films did actually get made they would probably be better than The Wicker Man! Regarding Cage rehashes, has anyone seen his Bad Lieutenant? It's just I class the original as one of the biggest pieces of pointless crap I've had the misfortune to sit through, I'm curious to know if Cage's remake could actually have been any worse?[/i]

Never seen the original but Cage's version is vaguely entertaining. Cage's craziness is perfectly suited to it.
Tue 16/10/12 at 16:49
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
Haha pete ... that was brilliant :¬D

If any of those films did actually get made they would probably be better than The Wicker Man! Regarding Cage rehashes, has anyone seen his Bad Lieutenant? It's just I class the original as one of the biggest pieces of pointless crap I've had the misfortune to sit through, I'm curious to know if Cage's remake could actually have been any worse?
Tue 16/10/12 at 14:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Haha pete ... that was brilliant :¬D

Tue 16/10/12 at 13:50
Regular
"I like turtles"
bleeding_a wrote:
no, The Wicker Man remake was absolutely incredible. It's my favourite film ever and Nicolas Cage is the greatest actor of all time reddit.com/r/onetruegod

I take it that you didn't find this amusing then?
Tue 16/10/12 at 12:49
Regular
"nus"
pete_21 wrote:
bleeding_a wrote:
[i]The Wicker Man

The Wicker Man remake was terrible, although I suspect you probably thought that as well.[/i]

no, The Wicker Man remake was absolutely incredible. It's my favourite film ever and Nicolas Cage is the greatest actor of all time reddit.com/r/onetruegod
Mon 15/10/12 at 09:13
Regular
"I like turtles"
Show Spoiler

I would actually class all versions of Let The Right One In as horror but perhaps not in the conventional sense of the word, I always felt that the real horror in this story never came from 200 year old fictional creatures but from things far more real. I actually find it really interesting that people (who mainly seem to have enjoyed/ appreciated it) seem to take differing experiences away from Lindqvist's creation. In a slightly similar vein I also enjoyed The Devil's Backbone, again maybe not conventional horror but it was an excellent spin on the ghost story IMO.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.