GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Movie Remakes - are there any good ones?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/10/12 at 11:04
"possibly impossible"
After seeing how badly Total Recall turned out, I was trying to think of a good movie remake and I just couldn't think of that many.

I can think of plenty of terrible or just plain pointless ones; Bedazzled, Psycho, carrie, The Omen and many more.

A few good ones come to mind; The Birdcage, Always, Ben Hur, Brewsters Millions, The Magnificent Seven, Flash Gordon.

So I was wondering, why bother at all if the original is any good?

There are several types of remake; foreign films remade for an English market (The Ring, Vanilla Sky, Dark Water, REC), modern remakes of really old films (Sabrina, Ben Hur), different takes on the same theme or alternate versions that are not sequels (Planet of the Apes, I Am Legend).

Any that you can think of?
Mon 22/10/12 at 09:03
"possibly impossible"
Just thought of another one: Never Say Never Again.

Less obvious, but I reckon that still counts as a remake.
Thu 18/10/12 at 17:10
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
Isn't that the subheading for The Daily Mail?

You have now offended me beyond belief! I cannot believe it!
Thu 18/10/12 at 16:17
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
Haha ... everyday life is scary :¬D

Isn't that the subheading for The Daily Mail?
Thu 18/10/12 at 15:36
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Haha ... everyday life is scary :¬D
Thu 18/10/12 at 14:32
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]People like to be frightened in a 'safe' environment.

Boo!!!!! :¬)[/i]

I enjoyed that...
Thu 18/10/12 at 13:46
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
People like to be frightened in a 'safe' environment.

Boo!!!!! :¬)
Thu 18/10/12 at 08:23
"possibly impossible"
People like to be frightened in a 'safe' environment.

Horror films are just a progression from ghost stories, which have been around for many thousands of years.

Suspense style horror films play on perception, rather than horror in a physical form, but it's always interesting to explore the psyche of a human protagonist in a more realistic horror film, in the same way as it is in a crime drama or gangster movie.

In the same way, humans have always been intrigued by the more supernatural or unidentified forces of good and evil, whether these are perceived as real or imaginary. Many horror films are less about the gore itself as they are about the main character(s) overcoming insurmountable odds to escape or defeat the threat, an age old story told in modern form which can be traced back to early stories. Think of Odysseus trying to resist the deadly lure of the sirens or many of the other Greek tragedies.
Thu 18/10/12 at 07:47
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
So if you know it is ... then why watch it?

In most cases I don't generally bother TBH DL. If yet another CGI-tastic spook film or gory teen slasher turns up I will generally avoid it like the plague, not for any other real reason than I find that stuff boring. However if something that does catch my attention comes out then I will usually give it a whirl (quite often regret bothering after though!). I have actually quite enjoyed a few things which I would class as nonsense although some people don't always appear to share my view. Noticed some idiot in the comments section on YouTube the other day harping on about how the Dead Or Alive video games should be banned because they glorify violence towards women!, can't say I've experienced that while playing one myself? (and actually doubt that 'crusader' had even played one TBH). I suppose it's easy for some to question why bother with this or that genre but some creators do occasionally come up stuff that is actually pretty good within those genres.
Wed 17/10/12 at 23:04
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
No one wants to see what I would class as 'realistic horror', there's sadly enough of that in the real world.

It's a shame that people don't see the realistic horror that is inflicted around them each and every day by ordinary folk ... stuff that movies are made from!

Monsters, ghosties, demons and the like are all good though, as when the 90 minutes are over we know what we have just experienced was really nothing more than load of old b******s.

So if you know it is ... then why watch it?
Wed 17/10/12 at 22:18
Regular
"I like turtles"
DL wrote:
Forgive me pete and any others ... but just what is it about this 'Evil Dead/Zombies/Horror genre that seems to be so appealing within the movie business to day? We did have 'snuff movies' many years ago and they didn't seem to last long or maybe they did?

I'm probably not I'm the best person to answer this as I'm not really a massive horror film fan. As with other genres though, when horror is done well (or sometimes just differently) the result can be good entertainment. There's a reason people watch horror, they like being scared and mostly by things which are a million miles away from reality. No one wants to see what I would class as 'realistic horror', there's sadly enough of that in the real world. Monsters, ghosties, demons and the like are all good though, as when the 90 minutes are over we know what we have just experienced was really nothing more than load of old b******s.

As for 'snuff movies' they don't seem quite so popular these days, apparently filmmakers had terrible trouble getting the stars to return for sequels... :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.