GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hacked Xbox Live Account"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/10/12 at 08:03
Regular
"I like turtles"
Last night I appear to have had my XBL account hacked, this person has somehow managed to clear out my MS points balance as well as transfer another £21 for purchases which appear in my transactions list on Xbox.com but also appear to have been transferred off my account. These purchases were for a downloadable copy of FIFA 13 & an online pass for this game, a third transaction for a further £42.50 looks like it was declined (either by Paypal, my bank or MS).

Luckily I was actually online when these transactions occurred and spotted them in my email client. I quickly logged into my XBL account (via Xbox.com) and changed my account password which was a good thing as I have repeated emails from MS which would appear that this person was still attempting to access my account after the password change. Once I logged back into my account using the new password (which required a further security check) I found out that I could not remove the payment method from my Xbox account, there is an option to do this but the site does not seem to let you (says something like this option is not available at this time).

Anyway, after getting in a queue to chat to an online MS advisor, one long wait later and I did get to report this problem. The advisor told me that once you enter payment details into your XBL account (either Paypal or Credit card) only MS can remove it! I would strongly suggest anyone in this situation to contact them and get this done. I always redeem pre-paid codes for MS stuff (live subs & points purchases) and actually can't recall ever linking my Paypal account to my XBL account, perhaps it was when I first joined? (which was about 5 years ago).

Anyway, this MS agent has now put a temporary ban on any purchases being made using my XBL account until they complete an investigation on this reported activity. I have to call their helpline when it opens at 9am this morning (the number if anyone needs it is 0800 5871102) to launch this investigation and hopefully get my stolen money back.

Just a heads up really in case anyone on here is also unlucky enough to experience this, as a quick Google search would appear to suggest that this problem is not quite as rare as you might think...
Tue 23/10/12 at 16:33
Regular
"May contain nuts"
pete_21 wrote:
Despite many promises still not had my money back. Also until this done MS cannot remove the payment link from my a/c. Getting fed up with this now.

Take it up with Halifax mate, MS are dragging their feet.
Tue 23/10/12 at 16:05
Regular
"How Ironic"
I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. Logged into my Guild Wars 2 which had been comprimised a few weeks ago, somebody's left all my items, money, friend list etc. alone, but they've been busy collecting items etc. Made a ton of money of it, and have now changed my password. Hacking's not bad if you get a stupid hacker.
Tue 23/10/12 at 12:32
Regular
"I like turtles"
Despite many promises still not had my money back. Also until this done MS cannot remove the payment link from my a/c. Getting fed up with this now.
Thu 11/10/12 at 16:56
Regular
"I like turtles"
Thanks for that, if I've not had my refund by the start of next week I'll given them a call. I want to remove the link to my Paypal account as well but can't do this until I've had my money back.
Thu 11/10/12 at 12:21
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Give it a couple of days for the refund to process through Visa.

If it doesn't appear I would as I generally take a lot of what MS say with a pinch of salt.
Wed 10/10/12 at 12:37
"possibly impossible"
Glad that it looks to be getting sorted now.

Does make me want to check my account more closely now, though.
Wed 10/10/12 at 11:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
pctech wrote:
Have you reported the issue to Halifax yet?

No, do you think I need to as MS have agreed to the refund? Checked my account and no further money was taken.
Wed 10/10/12 at 11:47
Regular
"May contain nuts"
Have you reported the issue to Halifax yet?
Wed 10/10/12 at 11:46
Regular
"I like turtles"
''Our investigation revealed that purchases were made while your account was out of your control.''

MS sent me a code this morning apparently worth the points that were stolen from my account with a promise that the additional transferred funds will be refunded by Paypal. Apparently they have removed my gamertag off my registered console so I need to download it back off XBL. They said that if anything has been altered on it I can select a new one and they will reimburse me the 800 MS points it will cost to do this, happy with that.
Wed 10/10/12 at 08:33
Regular
"I like turtles"
pctech wrote:
Dr. Garin wrote:
[i]Standard procedure Pete. They wont deviate from it even if its not entirely relevant for your case.

Not convinced much "investigating" ever goes on.

Agreed on that Dr. Garin

Once MS gets hit with a tsunami of credit card charge backs they will soon beef up the security.[/i]

Tend to agree with both of you, although I have to say MS have been quite a bit more helpful than my bank (Halifax) were when I had funds stolen out of my current account a few years ago. I'm hopeful of getting my money back in this case but that's not exactly the same as having it back is it? Maybe this is standard protocol but the first MS agent I spoke to made no mention of having to lock me out of my own account and the guy I spoke to yesterday only confirmed this after reading through the case notes that MS fraud dept. had attached to my file. I'm wondering if this person has made multiple further attempts to access my account after I had changed my password? I'm presuming that this person did not gain access again after this point but as my account is currently locked for purchases but I would have no way of knowing this. I suppose the amount of money and resources a company like MS will throw at cases like this will be down to how much problems like this are costing them and which is cheaper, to reimburse stolen funds or find out exactly how things like this are occurring and make a serious attempt at plugging the hole.

Read an article the other day from a guy in the US who had $1200 stolen off his credit card using his XBL account in exactly the same way as I have. He got everything sorted, security details were all changed, his account was fully reinstated and MS did refund him his money. A couple of months later another $1200 went missing...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.