GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Animal Crossing rant - To cross or not to cross"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Animal Crossing'.
Sun 08/12/02 at 02:25
Regular
I have done quite a bit of research on my most wanted game. Yes, you heard. More than Zelda. More than Metroid. And Resy0, Final Fantasy or anything else. If you don't know, Animal Crossing is a quirky but immensley enjoyable nintendo game not alot like anything else (possibly Harvest Moon?) You live in a town, events happen daily featuring a real time clock. The game links up to the GBA, E-reader and E-cards, and comes with it's own memory card. It is currently out in the US and Japan.

NGC gave it 90% and pleaded for a PAL release in issue 74 and CUBE gave it 8.5/10 in issue 12, and they now have a monthly diary feature on the latest exploits of the game.

The news of an apparent Australian release of Animal Crossing has definately brought smiles onto many peoples faces who, like me have long awaited this gem. Although Australia is the other side of the world and it is a PAL territory, this means Freeloader or Action Replay discs / a modded cube, which both still need an NTSC compatible TV will not be needed (which is just as well, as neither Freeloader or Action Replay show no signs of imminent release.

Yet you might as well just wait as an Australian release is only TBA on the Ninty of Australia site, as it was on the Ninty of Europe site before all the Animal Crossing pages and content (in fact any evidence it existed) was taken off the site ;'(

Unfortunately, Nintendo long ago said animal crossing would never come out in europe, as we would get Doshin and not Animal Crossing (an infinitely better game), while the US would get it the other way around.

See interview with Ninty of Europe guy, (sorry it's Google cache, but if you visit the real page it just asks you to register - delete spaces):

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:mfWMWAcR7GIC: [SPACE] www.dreamcastmagazine.co.uk/t/article/id79787/ [SPACE]style/doshinhitseuropebutanimalsnotcrossing.htm [SPACE]
+PAL+animal+crossing+-confirmed!&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Here he says: "Animal Crossing? No. We have no plans currently to release in Europe. I'm not saying we're not releasing it. I'm saying we currently have no plans. When you check out a schedule we have for your coming week, it's quite crowded. There is no need for this game in a moment. We'd like to see how it goes in America first. Then we can consider it for launch in Europe."

Well mate it's done very well in the US. SO RELEASE IT HERE!!! It genarates lots of money there beacuse:
1) The game is bought
2) Some people buy GBA cord to link Cube to GBA
3) Some people buy an E-Reader and some Animal Crossing e-cards
4) People buy more cards, and more, and more.... (sorry, 1999 pokémon flashback)

Because of this, neither territory got both games (and japan got both as well as Animal Leader - which may come out in the US under the title "Cubivore". As for a release here... well don't hold your breath.)

However in September some guy who works at Edge emailed one of his friends at Nintendo Europe who was apparently testing the game in London the next day. Yet since then, the 2003 Nintendo release list for Europe has been and gone and there was no sign of Animal Crossing.

And now the news of an Australian release. This for me seems very unlikely. There are some Major flaws which will probably mean the game will never get a release. Usually Australian releases of games are based on the European PAL version, same language, same TV system etc, and since Europe and Australia combined is a large market it is usually in the interest of the game company to make a version available.
But here no European version is availaiable. I'm sorry, but I can't see Nintendo making a PAL game just for Australia. It's always the other way round. The game is made for Europe, then, if it sells well, it gets released in Australia.

The game is almost hampered by its brilliance. Because it happens in real time ie: one day in the real world is one day in AC there is a pretty apparent problem. The US version has date triggers for seasons which start on the solstice and equinox, not every three months like the UK and in AU.
And now for the big problem: the US version was made with the monthly season dates with weather happening and the environment changing as seasons pass (eg. snow in winter, brown leaves on the ground in autumn).
Because Australia is in the southern hemisphere they would be the opposite, meaning blistering winter heat outside but snow in the AC. world.
Essentially what I'm getting at is there will have to be a specifically reprogrammed version for the southern hemisphere, with the australian dates, seasons and calendar. Do you think Nintendo considers this worthwhile?
If, though by some miricle, Nintendo manages to re-program the game (which just won't happen) do you really want to import it next summer and find snow on the ground in the game?

Will Animal Crossing or Cubivorecome out in Europe? I emailed Nintendo of Europe with that very question a week ago. What did they say? Nothing.

Please help. If your a Nintendo VIP put something in the thread on their retarded but ok message board. There is a petition on it here (delete spaces):
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/ [space]
community/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=28329 [space]&addThreadWatch=true&start=1

or a petiton on petitons-online here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/aceurogc/petition.html
Thu 12/12/02 at 08:14
Regular
"^_^"
Any one got any better responses yet? If we just bombard them with emails HOPEFULLY they will take some notice.
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:51
Regular
"thursdayton!"
WebDVDuk wrote:
> do i win?!!?

yes, you win a piece of fluff (from the Pianta villiage fluff festival - from mario sunshine)
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:49
Regular
Tphi *<:-) wrote:
> "a hive of scum and villainy"
>
> Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Kenobi says this to Luke about Mos Eisely,
> when they see it for the first time at the top of the cliff on Luke's
> landspeeder.
>
> as for "nothing?, nothing? Tra La La" I have no idea. I'll
> look here tommorro, and I want clues!
> night

see i was right!
yay me!!

um, um, clues, clues, it was an 80s film, with a few songs in it, also kind of a fantasy film.

another quote would be "ludo friend"

and thats your lot!

ill check back tomorow to see if you have it!!
lol

night all
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:47
Regular
"thursdayton!"
"a hive of scum and villainy"

Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Kenobi says this to Luke about Mos Eisely, when they see it for the first time at the top of the cliff on Luke's landspeeder.

as for "nothing?, nothing? Tra La La" I have no idea. I'll look here tommorro, and I want clues!
night
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:45
Regular
> ok, better go, my last couple of exams tommorow, including french
> orals. see ya later!

i got it!!!
its bloody Star Wars Obi Wan says it about Mos Eisley!!!
do i win?!!?
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:44
Regular
"thursdayton!"
ok, better go, my last couple of exams tommorow, including french orals. see ya later!
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:42
Regular
> WebDVDuk wrote:
> was it um,um, wind in the willows???
>
> *ting* is the right answer. the assault on toad hall at the end is led
> through into the hall via a secret trapdoor, which no-one but badger
> knows of, and is knowledge passed down from toad's father, years ago.
>
> however, to badger's dismay, toad already knwos of it, asking him if
> it's the one under "the squeaky floorboard in the butlers
> pantry". it is.
> the film is actually very good, and the tv spin off series by the smae
> company was on Five last year.
>
> next one: "a hive of scum and villainy"

oh my god!
you ll have to give me more clues than that!!

year of film, and an actor/actress would be good

heres one for you aswell then.....

"nothing?, nothing? Tra La La"
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:36
Regular
"thursdayton!"
WebDVDuk wrote:
> was it um,um, wind in the willows???

*ting* is the right answer. the assault on toad hall at the end is led through into the hall via a secret trapdoor, which no-one but badger knows of, and is knowledge passed down from toad's father, years ago.
however, to badger's dismay, toad already knwos of it, asking him if it's the one under "the squeaky floorboard in the butlers pantry". it is.
the film is actually very good, and the tv spin off series by the smae company was on Five last year.

next one: "a hive of scum and villainy"
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:27
Regular
was it um,um, wind in the willows???

i cant think of any other ones, or possibly the golden age?!?!!?
Thu 12/12/02 at 00:22
Regular
"thursdayton!"
WebDVDuk wrote:
> you may well have done!
> um, film bloody hell!
> i was an 80s kid so i may well have seen it!
> ive heard of wymondham, it used to make me laugh when it was on news
> they used to call it wy mond ham, instead of the usual
> "windum" pronouncination (spelling and stuff is poor
> tonight, i need more sambuca!)

sambuca? anyway...

1) yep the pronounciation thing annnoys me too. someone in my school had a letter read out on CBBC once, and the stoopid old presneter Kirsten (rmember her?) said "yes thats from sorrel needle in 'wimdam'. I hope I've said that right!"
that really annoys me when people say "i hope i've said that right", like when the teacher does the register and reads out a foreign name.

2) the film: a book by Kenneth Graham, the film was animated with models (not cartoons).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.