GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Animal Crossing rant - To cross or not to cross"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Animal Crossing'.
Sun 08/12/02 at 02:25
Regular
I have done quite a bit of research on my most wanted game. Yes, you heard. More than Zelda. More than Metroid. And Resy0, Final Fantasy or anything else. If you don't know, Animal Crossing is a quirky but immensley enjoyable nintendo game not alot like anything else (possibly Harvest Moon?) You live in a town, events happen daily featuring a real time clock. The game links up to the GBA, E-reader and E-cards, and comes with it's own memory card. It is currently out in the US and Japan.

NGC gave it 90% and pleaded for a PAL release in issue 74 and CUBE gave it 8.5/10 in issue 12, and they now have a monthly diary feature on the latest exploits of the game.

The news of an apparent Australian release of Animal Crossing has definately brought smiles onto many peoples faces who, like me have long awaited this gem. Although Australia is the other side of the world and it is a PAL territory, this means Freeloader or Action Replay discs / a modded cube, which both still need an NTSC compatible TV will not be needed (which is just as well, as neither Freeloader or Action Replay show no signs of imminent release.

Yet you might as well just wait as an Australian release is only TBA on the Ninty of Australia site, as it was on the Ninty of Europe site before all the Animal Crossing pages and content (in fact any evidence it existed) was taken off the site ;'(

Unfortunately, Nintendo long ago said animal crossing would never come out in europe, as we would get Doshin and not Animal Crossing (an infinitely better game), while the US would get it the other way around.

See interview with Ninty of Europe guy, (sorry it's Google cache, but if you visit the real page it just asks you to register - delete spaces):

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:mfWMWAcR7GIC: [SPACE] www.dreamcastmagazine.co.uk/t/article/id79787/ [SPACE]style/doshinhitseuropebutanimalsnotcrossing.htm [SPACE]
+PAL+animal+crossing+-confirmed!&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Here he says: "Animal Crossing? No. We have no plans currently to release in Europe. I'm not saying we're not releasing it. I'm saying we currently have no plans. When you check out a schedule we have for your coming week, it's quite crowded. There is no need for this game in a moment. We'd like to see how it goes in America first. Then we can consider it for launch in Europe."

Well mate it's done very well in the US. SO RELEASE IT HERE!!! It genarates lots of money there beacuse:
1) The game is bought
2) Some people buy GBA cord to link Cube to GBA
3) Some people buy an E-Reader and some Animal Crossing e-cards
4) People buy more cards, and more, and more.... (sorry, 1999 pokémon flashback)

Because of this, neither territory got both games (and japan got both as well as Animal Leader - which may come out in the US under the title "Cubivore". As for a release here... well don't hold your breath.)

However in September some guy who works at Edge emailed one of his friends at Nintendo Europe who was apparently testing the game in London the next day. Yet since then, the 2003 Nintendo release list for Europe has been and gone and there was no sign of Animal Crossing.

And now the news of an Australian release. This for me seems very unlikely. There are some Major flaws which will probably mean the game will never get a release. Usually Australian releases of games are based on the European PAL version, same language, same TV system etc, and since Europe and Australia combined is a large market it is usually in the interest of the game company to make a version available.
But here no European version is availaiable. I'm sorry, but I can't see Nintendo making a PAL game just for Australia. It's always the other way round. The game is made for Europe, then, if it sells well, it gets released in Australia.

The game is almost hampered by its brilliance. Because it happens in real time ie: one day in the real world is one day in AC there is a pretty apparent problem. The US version has date triggers for seasons which start on the solstice and equinox, not every three months like the UK and in AU.
And now for the big problem: the US version was made with the monthly season dates with weather happening and the environment changing as seasons pass (eg. snow in winter, brown leaves on the ground in autumn).
Because Australia is in the southern hemisphere they would be the opposite, meaning blistering winter heat outside but snow in the AC. world.
Essentially what I'm getting at is there will have to be a specifically reprogrammed version for the southern hemisphere, with the australian dates, seasons and calendar. Do you think Nintendo considers this worthwhile?
If, though by some miricle, Nintendo manages to re-program the game (which just won't happen) do you really want to import it next summer and find snow on the ground in the game?

Will Animal Crossing or Cubivorecome out in Europe? I emailed Nintendo of Europe with that very question a week ago. What did they say? Nothing.

Please help. If your a Nintendo VIP put something in the thread on their retarded but ok message board. There is a petition on it here (delete spaces):
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/ [space]
community/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=28329 [space]&addThreadWatch=true&start=1

or a petiton on petitons-online here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/aceurogc/petition.html
Sun 08/12/02 at 17:40
Regular
"thursdayton!"
well, the i can see your point but i would rather do something that might not help rather than do nothing.
and animal crossing is more likely to come out here than 3G phones, as they will need a new type of network, whereas the game only needs to be translated into some Euro languages for a release here.
Sun 08/12/02 at 13:32
Regular
Tphi wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I have just read and signed the online petition:
>
> "ANIMAL CROSSING FOR EURO GAMECUBE OWNERS!"
>
> hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
> service, at:
>
> http://www.PetitionOnline.com/aceurogc/
>
> I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you
> might
> agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and
> consider
> signing yourself.

im not being funny here, but signing an online petition will not help.
if nintendo dont want to release it it wont be released..

take this for example, in Japan you have I-mode phones, nice, full colour 3G phones with video phone capabilities.

Now, why dont we get them here?
because due to difference in the countries and environment it wont happen.

now i might start a petition to get them brought over here, it may sell well on our UK networks, but at present and not for the next 3-4 years at least these phones wont work here, our networks dont and CANNOT support it.
Lets sign a petition and make them change the way they work shall we??

wont happen!

much like Nintendo taking a big risk with having to change all the languages, the seasons, the in game events just to release it over here.
to them, what you lot (and there arent many) say and no matter how much you beg and plead isnt likely to make it on the list of things to do at Nintendo.

sorry its the way it goes.

the only way i can see them taking the slightest bit of interest and notice is if the amount of import sales for these kind of things go up dramatically!
this would prove to them that the demand is there, not jsut some online petition!
Sun 08/12/02 at 12:16
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dear Friends,

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"ANIMAL CROSSING FOR EURO GAMECUBE OWNERS!"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition
service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/aceurogc/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might
agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider
signing yourself.
Sun 08/12/02 at 11:35
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Whitestripes wrote:
> Don't forgt that a Aussie release would mean they don't have to do any
> translating at all, just a conversion from NTSC to PAL

but they have different seasons over there, so they would need to cange the game.
Sun 08/12/02 at 10:53
Regular
uhh..It's been confirmed for an Aussie release, just not a set date. It's down as TBA on their release list, and if you look on the european list it isn't there at all.

Don't forgt that a Aussie release would mean they don't have to do any translating at all, just a conversion from NTSC to PAL, and seeing as it would sell loads, sounds econmically viable to me.
Sun 08/12/02 at 10:12
Regular
i admit it will be ashame, i was looking forward to swapping and tading items with some of you guys on here, but as it stands i agree 100% with what you have said.

it wil not get a UK or AU release date, it wouldnt be economically viable to nintendo.

anyways, with the price of chipping cubes and also with the "freeloader" which looks never to come out you still have 2 possible options if you want it.

just remember, december is the most exciting month!
snow, xmas decor, snowball fights and lots of fun!

then theres also my b-day in april, cant wait to see what pressie i get from my local friendly towns folk
Sun 08/12/02 at 02:25
Regular
"thursdayton!"
I have done quite a bit of research on my most wanted game. Yes, you heard. More than Zelda. More than Metroid. And Resy0, Final Fantasy or anything else. If you don't know, Animal Crossing is a quirky but immensley enjoyable nintendo game not alot like anything else (possibly Harvest Moon?) You live in a town, events happen daily featuring a real time clock. The game links up to the GBA, E-reader and E-cards, and comes with it's own memory card. It is currently out in the US and Japan.

NGC gave it 90% and pleaded for a PAL release in issue 74 and CUBE gave it 8.5/10 in issue 12, and they now have a monthly diary feature on the latest exploits of the game.

The news of an apparent Australian release of Animal Crossing has definately brought smiles onto many peoples faces who, like me have long awaited this gem. Although Australia is the other side of the world and it is a PAL territory, this means Freeloader or Action Replay discs / a modded cube, which both still need an NTSC compatible TV will not be needed (which is just as well, as neither Freeloader or Action Replay show no signs of imminent release.

Yet you might as well just wait as an Australian release is only TBA on the Ninty of Australia site, as it was on the Ninty of Europe site before all the Animal Crossing pages and content (in fact any evidence it existed) was taken off the site ;'(

Unfortunately, Nintendo long ago said animal crossing would never come out in europe, as we would get Doshin and not Animal Crossing (an infinitely better game), while the US would get it the other way around.

See interview with Ninty of Europe guy, (sorry it's Google cache, but if you visit the real page it just asks you to register - delete spaces):

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:mfWMWAcR7GIC: [SPACE] www.dreamcastmagazine.co.uk/t/article/id79787/ [SPACE]style/doshinhitseuropebutanimalsnotcrossing.htm [SPACE]
+PAL+animal+crossing+-confirmed!&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Here he says: "Animal Crossing? No. We have no plans currently to release in Europe. I'm not saying we're not releasing it. I'm saying we currently have no plans. When you check out a schedule we have for your coming week, it's quite crowded. There is no need for this game in a moment. We'd like to see how it goes in America first. Then we can consider it for launch in Europe."

Well mate it's done very well in the US. SO RELEASE IT HERE!!! It genarates lots of money there beacuse:
1) The game is bought
2) Some people buy GBA cord to link Cube to GBA
3) Some people buy an E-Reader and some Animal Crossing e-cards
4) People buy more cards, and more, and more.... (sorry, 1999 pokémon flashback)

Because of this, neither territory got both games (and japan got both as well as Animal Leader - which may come out in the US under the title "Cubivore". As for a release here... well don't hold your breath.)

However in September some guy who works at Edge emailed one of his friends at Nintendo Europe who was apparently testing the game in London the next day. Yet since then, the 2003 Nintendo release list for Europe has been and gone and there was no sign of Animal Crossing.

And now the news of an Australian release. This for me seems very unlikely. There are some Major flaws which will probably mean the game will never get a release. Usually Australian releases of games are based on the European PAL version, same language, same TV system etc, and since Europe and Australia combined is a large market it is usually in the interest of the game company to make a version available.
But here no European version is availaiable. I'm sorry, but I can't see Nintendo making a PAL game just for Australia. It's always the other way round. The game is made for Europe, then, if it sells well, it gets released in Australia.

The game is almost hampered by its brilliance. Because it happens in real time ie: one day in the real world is one day in AC there is a pretty apparent problem. The US version has date triggers for seasons which start on the solstice and equinox, not every three months like the UK and in AU.
And now for the big problem: the US version was made with the monthly season dates with weather happening and the environment changing as seasons pass (eg. snow in winter, brown leaves on the ground in autumn).
Because Australia is in the southern hemisphere they would be the opposite, meaning blistering winter heat outside but snow in the AC. world.
Essentially what I'm getting at is there will have to be a specifically reprogrammed version for the southern hemisphere, with the australian dates, seasons and calendar. Do you think Nintendo considers this worthwhile?
If, though by some miricle, Nintendo manages to re-program the game (which just won't happen) do you really want to import it next summer and find snow on the ground in the game?

Will Animal Crossing or Cubivorecome out in Europe? I emailed Nintendo of Europe with that very question a week ago. What did they say? Nothing.

Please help. If your a Nintendo VIP put something in the thread on their retarded but ok message board. There is a petition on it here (delete spaces):
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/ [space]
community/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=28329 [space]&addThreadWatch=true&start=1

or a petiton on petitons-online here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/aceurogc/petition.html

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.