GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Animal Crossing rant - To cross or not to cross"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Animal Crossing'.
Sun 08/12/02 at 02:25
Regular
I have done quite a bit of research on my most wanted game. Yes, you heard. More than Zelda. More than Metroid. And Resy0, Final Fantasy or anything else. If you don't know, Animal Crossing is a quirky but immensley enjoyable nintendo game not alot like anything else (possibly Harvest Moon?) You live in a town, events happen daily featuring a real time clock. The game links up to the GBA, E-reader and E-cards, and comes with it's own memory card. It is currently out in the US and Japan.

NGC gave it 90% and pleaded for a PAL release in issue 74 and CUBE gave it 8.5/10 in issue 12, and they now have a monthly diary feature on the latest exploits of the game.

The news of an apparent Australian release of Animal Crossing has definately brought smiles onto many peoples faces who, like me have long awaited this gem. Although Australia is the other side of the world and it is a PAL territory, this means Freeloader or Action Replay discs / a modded cube, which both still need an NTSC compatible TV will not be needed (which is just as well, as neither Freeloader or Action Replay show no signs of imminent release.

Yet you might as well just wait as an Australian release is only TBA on the Ninty of Australia site, as it was on the Ninty of Europe site before all the Animal Crossing pages and content (in fact any evidence it existed) was taken off the site ;'(

Unfortunately, Nintendo long ago said animal crossing would never come out in europe, as we would get Doshin and not Animal Crossing (an infinitely better game), while the US would get it the other way around.

See interview with Ninty of Europe guy, (sorry it's Google cache, but if you visit the real page it just asks you to register - delete spaces):

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:mfWMWAcR7GIC: [SPACE] www.dreamcastmagazine.co.uk/t/article/id79787/ [SPACE]style/doshinhitseuropebutanimalsnotcrossing.htm [SPACE]
+PAL+animal+crossing+-confirmed!&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Here he says: "Animal Crossing? No. We have no plans currently to release in Europe. I'm not saying we're not releasing it. I'm saying we currently have no plans. When you check out a schedule we have for your coming week, it's quite crowded. There is no need for this game in a moment. We'd like to see how it goes in America first. Then we can consider it for launch in Europe."

Well mate it's done very well in the US. SO RELEASE IT HERE!!! It genarates lots of money there beacuse:
1) The game is bought
2) Some people buy GBA cord to link Cube to GBA
3) Some people buy an E-Reader and some Animal Crossing e-cards
4) People buy more cards, and more, and more.... (sorry, 1999 pokémon flashback)

Because of this, neither territory got both games (and japan got both as well as Animal Leader - which may come out in the US under the title "Cubivore". As for a release here... well don't hold your breath.)

However in September some guy who works at Edge emailed one of his friends at Nintendo Europe who was apparently testing the game in London the next day. Yet since then, the 2003 Nintendo release list for Europe has been and gone and there was no sign of Animal Crossing.

And now the news of an Australian release. This for me seems very unlikely. There are some Major flaws which will probably mean the game will never get a release. Usually Australian releases of games are based on the European PAL version, same language, same TV system etc, and since Europe and Australia combined is a large market it is usually in the interest of the game company to make a version available.
But here no European version is availaiable. I'm sorry, but I can't see Nintendo making a PAL game just for Australia. It's always the other way round. The game is made for Europe, then, if it sells well, it gets released in Australia.

The game is almost hampered by its brilliance. Because it happens in real time ie: one day in the real world is one day in AC there is a pretty apparent problem. The US version has date triggers for seasons which start on the solstice and equinox, not every three months like the UK and in AU.
And now for the big problem: the US version was made with the monthly season dates with weather happening and the environment changing as seasons pass (eg. snow in winter, brown leaves on the ground in autumn).
Because Australia is in the southern hemisphere they would be the opposite, meaning blistering winter heat outside but snow in the AC. world.
Essentially what I'm getting at is there will have to be a specifically reprogrammed version for the southern hemisphere, with the australian dates, seasons and calendar. Do you think Nintendo considers this worthwhile?
If, though by some miricle, Nintendo manages to re-program the game (which just won't happen) do you really want to import it next summer and find snow on the ground in the game?

Will Animal Crossing or Cubivorecome out in Europe? I emailed Nintendo of Europe with that very question a week ago. What did they say? Nothing.

Please help. If your a Nintendo VIP put something in the thread on their retarded but ok message board. There is a petition on it here (delete spaces):
http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/ [space]
community/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=28329 [space]&addThreadWatch=true&start=1

or a petiton on petitons-online here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/aceurogc/petition.html
Thu 12/12/02 at 13:47
Regular
"thursdayton!"
WebDVDuk wrote:
> i had a quick look on animla crossing again last night, and noticed my
> town has snow now! yay!
> i got my trees on snow day, the 1st of december!
> also got my funky santa outfit, well i made it myself, its ok, but
> could be better!

*cries*
but the problem is I want action replay, but don't want to buy both that and freeloader. but action replay datel have definately said will not get a release until "Januray" (summer 2003 if you're lucky...)
Thu 12/12/02 at 13:38
Regular
Tphi *<:-) wrote:
> AshMan wrote:
> I have the US version of Animal Crossin' , just need my Freeloader
> to
> come now...damn those monkeys at Datel:
>
> Anyways if you guys want a £30 import of Animal Crossing go
> to:
> www.dvdboxoffice.com *top blokes* got mine to me inside a week, and
> P&P is free worldwide
>
> sounds absolutley faboulus sweetie. ;)
> but i won't purchse it until freeloader comes. datel "hope to
> have it out by christmas". well guys, you have a fortnight.

it will never be out by xmas!

lol

i had a quick look on animla crossing again last night, and noticed my town has snow now! yay!
i got my trees on snow day, the 1st of december!
also got my funky santa outfit, well i made it myself, its ok, but could be better!
Thu 12/12/02 at 13:12
Regular
"thursdayton!"
AshMan wrote:
> I have the US version of Animal Crossin' , just need my Freeloader to
> come now...damn those monkeys at Datel:
>
> Anyways if you guys want a £30 import of Animal Crossing go to:
> www.dvdboxoffice.com *top blokes* got mine to me inside a week, and
> P&P is free worldwide

sounds absolutley faboulus sweetie. ;)
but i won't purchse it until freeloader comes. datel "hope to have it out by christmas". well guys, you have a fortnight.
Thu 12/12/02 at 12:38
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
Ooh and i have the official Strategy guide too, now COME DAMN FREELOADER *shakes fist*
Thu 12/12/02 at 12:36
Regular
"bei-jing-jing-jing"
I have the US version of Animal Crossin' , just need my Freeloader to come now...damn those monkeys at Datel:

Anyways if you guys want a £30 import of Animal Crossing go to: www.dvdboxoffice.com *top blokes* got mine to me inside a week, and P&P is free worldwide
Thu 12/12/02 at 12:26
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
redeyez wrote:
> Miyamoto has just confirmed a new AC game for 2003 and it does have
> the much rumoured online mode, this info is fresh so you may not have
> heard yet. I'm not willing to risk missing out on AC so I sold my PAL
> cube for £120 with a game+memory card and ordered a U.S Platinum
> gamecube+Memory card 59+stepdown convertor+Metroid Prime for
> £188. No more PAL waiting and an absolute classic game to get my
> teeth into on Christmas morning, it was either this or buy an x-box
> bundle, no contest.

Good choice there man! Now go get yourself Animal Crossing too! ;)

Seriously though. Metroid Prime will keep you occupied for a while. A classic it is! :)
Thu 12/12/02 at 12:26
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
redeyez wrote:
> bundle, no contest.

Good choice there man! Now go get yourself Animal Crossing too! ;)

Seriously though. Metroid Prime will keep occupied for a while yet.
Thu 12/12/02 at 12:24
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
I really bloody hope NOE take notice and get Animal Crossing over here. Even after a month without playing it, the game has adopted a few interesting things due to it's real-time nature.

Notably, the town is now covered in snow and Christmas trees are available to buy from Tom Nook's shop. :D
Thu 12/12/02 at 12:09
Regular
redeyez wrote:
> bundle, no contest.

it owuld be nice if you had given a link or a reference to this news, like for example who made it up?
or where we can read the "news"?
Thu 12/12/02 at 11:52
Miyamoto has just confirmed a new AC game for 2003 and it does have the much rumoured online mode, this info is fresh so you may not have heard yet. I'm not willing to risk missing out on AC so I sold my PAL cube for £120 with a game+memory card and ordered a U.S Platinum gamecube+Memory card 59+stepdown convertor+Metroid Prime for £188. No more PAL waiting and an absolute classic game to get my teeth into on Christmas morning, it was either this or buy an x-box bundle, no contest.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.