GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"State of Emergency"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/02/02 at 03:20
Regular
It rocks.

The "Revolution" mode (story mode) is hard, you have to go places and blow stuff up/collect stuff/protect people.

The "Kaos" mode rules all.
2:30 to commit as much wanton destruction as you can.
There are points deducted for civilian death, but what can you do when you're surrounded by 15 government agents intent on smashing u wiv their sticks?

You get the dude in the hawain shirt and the woman to start with, no little fat gangsta until you complete the Mall level in Revolution mode.
I've been playing the Revolution mode for...just over 3hrs and I'm only 50% through the missions on the 1st "Mall" level.
There are 5 levels (I think), this game will last an age.

Graphics are outstanding, up to 60 people charging about at once onscreen and not a single bit of slowdown.
Weapons I've used so far include M16, Uzi, Flamethrower, Mini-Gun, pistol (rubbish), taser (funny), molotov cocktail and bins.
Smash windows to earn more points, and if you use a rocket launcher on a crowd, you can pick up bits of the corpses and use the soggy ends to smash other people.

Yes this is a violent game.
But it's funny violence. Cartoony violence you can't take seriously.
And maybe the notion of going postal in a shopping mall is dubious, but I defy anyone to not turn and face 20 soldiers armed with a mini-gun and not laugh as you wipe them all out and about 14 bystanders.

If you're stupid or easily offended, go play Nintendo games.
If you are normal/depraved, then the idea of gunning down 30 pedestrians will make you laugh madly and charge about looking for more ammo.

Anyway, someone running past with a TV held over their head is not innocent and deserves everything you throw at him.
And in him.
And on him.

And when they're on the floor?
Stomp repeatedly on their heads.
Go on,you know you want to.

Don't think this is GTA3 or you'll cry and bleat about it being "shallow" or "repetitive".
Think of it like fully immersive 3D Streets of Rage and you'll play it for 5hrs straight.

State of Emergency is excellent stuff.
And expect *plenty* of terribly worthy GAD attempting posts discussing violence in games and "Oo how terrible it can be".
Leave these games to those of us that can laugh as we smash a fat bloke with a bin before kneeling on his blubbery chest and b****-slapping him, even though he's dead already.

Because it's funny.
Sat 23/02/02 at 22:24
Regular
Kid Rock wrote:
> i am renting it out tomorrow so we shall see

i rented it today instead amzing stunning
state of emergency
is 10/10
Sat 23/02/02 at 17:22
Regular
got it today and i like it shame i haven't had any buildig blow up missions done it in KAOS though.
Sat 23/02/02 at 16:42
Regular
I swapped my copy for Herdy Gerdy
Much better
Sat 23/02/02 at 14:53
Regular
i am renting it out tomorrow so we shall see
Sat 23/02/02 at 14:08
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
You should stick with MGS2 mate. I bought SOE yesterday and couldn't help but feel a little disappointed with it.

I mean, I liked Dynasty Warriors which isn't far off from what this game is. But with DW, it at least feels like theres some element of strategy to it in that you don't just want to run head long into a massive crowd.
When I played SOE, initially I thought it was funny and it was fun running through the crowds doing the missions and beating people up. But after like an hour, the novelty wore off and the different missions didn't seem all that different.

Protecting people became annoying cause all it would take is for one suicide bomber to run through the masses of people and blow up the guy your supposed to be protecting.
Being stuck in the same building for so long also wears thin. Although your doing different missions, your running past the same scenery for soooooo long that it gets boring.
GTA3 is so much better than this. Even for just causing havoc. Theres a lot more choice in GTA3 when it comes to planning a rampage through the streets. Whereas with SOE, your just running through the same crowd, doing the same stuff.

Maybe a 2 player mode could have helped this game a bit. But as a 1 player game, this gets so repetitive. Theres only so many times you'll use a shotgun or an axe on someone and laugh at the results. The only real strategy to this game is running around while dodging cops and their bullets occasionally.

Gutted really cause I was looking forward to this. :-(
Sat 23/02/02 at 13:05
Regular
im going to play State of emergency tomorrow so i will decide then
Sat 23/02/02 at 13:02
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
it's great, snapping necks is very good also
MGS2 - £36.99
state of emergency - £33.99

buy SoE and save £3! tis true
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:59
Regular
why do you say that? it doesnt really make a difference does it?
i aint too sure about MGS2 any more
Sat 23/02/02 at 12:54
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
no win MGS2 buy State of Emergency
Sat 23/02/02 at 11:55
Regular
i am thinking about changing my GAD from MGS2 to State of Emergency shall i? yes or no?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.