GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"State of Emergency"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 22/02/02 at 03:20
Regular
It rocks.

The "Revolution" mode (story mode) is hard, you have to go places and blow stuff up/collect stuff/protect people.

The "Kaos" mode rules all.
2:30 to commit as much wanton destruction as you can.
There are points deducted for civilian death, but what can you do when you're surrounded by 15 government agents intent on smashing u wiv their sticks?

You get the dude in the hawain shirt and the woman to start with, no little fat gangsta until you complete the Mall level in Revolution mode.
I've been playing the Revolution mode for...just over 3hrs and I'm only 50% through the missions on the 1st "Mall" level.
There are 5 levels (I think), this game will last an age.

Graphics are outstanding, up to 60 people charging about at once onscreen and not a single bit of slowdown.
Weapons I've used so far include M16, Uzi, Flamethrower, Mini-Gun, pistol (rubbish), taser (funny), molotov cocktail and bins.
Smash windows to earn more points, and if you use a rocket launcher on a crowd, you can pick up bits of the corpses and use the soggy ends to smash other people.

Yes this is a violent game.
But it's funny violence. Cartoony violence you can't take seriously.
And maybe the notion of going postal in a shopping mall is dubious, but I defy anyone to not turn and face 20 soldiers armed with a mini-gun and not laugh as you wipe them all out and about 14 bystanders.

If you're stupid or easily offended, go play Nintendo games.
If you are normal/depraved, then the idea of gunning down 30 pedestrians will make you laugh madly and charge about looking for more ammo.

Anyway, someone running past with a TV held over their head is not innocent and deserves everything you throw at him.
And in him.
And on him.

And when they're on the floor?
Stomp repeatedly on their heads.
Go on,you know you want to.

Don't think this is GTA3 or you'll cry and bleat about it being "shallow" or "repetitive".
Think of it like fully immersive 3D Streets of Rage and you'll play it for 5hrs straight.

State of Emergency is excellent stuff.
And expect *plenty* of terribly worthy GAD attempting posts discussing violence in games and "Oo how terrible it can be".
Leave these games to those of us that can laugh as we smash a fat bloke with a bin before kneeling on his blubbery chest and b****-slapping him, even though he's dead already.

Because it's funny.
Fri 22/02/02 at 11:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> The first few paragraphs of this thread made me think of Fight Club's Project
> Mayhem.

That's *exactly* what it's like.
Top simile.

You have to fight the evil "Omnicorps".
By shooting cops and throwing bins through windows.
Fri 22/02/02 at 11:48
Regular
Well, I'm buying Herdy Gerdy today, none of this violence and musical nonsence. some good old fashioned gaming!!!

:D
Fri 22/02/02 at 11:54
Regular
Hmmmmm, got it in the post this morning.

Hmmmmm indeed.

Okay, I only played it for 5 minutes so far, but I can imagine this to get very boring, very fast.

Nice to see there is no slowdown though.
Fri 22/02/02 at 11:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Very boring, very fast?

Well, that's your opinion and that's cool. Nobody has to like every game that's out.

I find a game where it's immediate pick up and play to be a blast.
Other games, once you've completed it and know the story, outcome etc, there's no point in going back.

I love Silent Hill 2, but I've done the puzzles and know what happens now. So replay is zero.
Metal Gear Solid 2 - may be awesome, but once you've done it, you just do the exact same thing to get past a certain gaurd etc.

This I like because you can either do the missions or just charge about trying to amass massive scores.
No plot, no puzzles, no end-of-level bosses to kill.

Just mindless destruction at your fingertips.

But that's just my opinion
Fri 22/02/02 at 12:06
Regular
My opinion isnt very valid at the moment though, considering I have only played it for 5 minutes.

And I only played the kaos mode, so I havnt exactly explored the game properly yet.

I only just got up an hour ago, so I'm probably still half asleep.

I'll have a better opinion when I come home from work later on tonight. I'll try and play it solid till about 2AM.
Fri 22/02/02 at 12:10
Regular
"not dead"
Goatboy wrote:

> just charge about trying to amass massive scores.

Which is what gaming was originally about. Almost all of the Atari 2600 games I had had no story, and no ending, you just played to get a high score. As such the replay value is tremendous, and you've always got a your top score to try to beat.
Fri 22/02/02 at 12:12
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Hopefully I should get this and herdy gerdy today or tomorrow from SR (GAD Rules : ) )
I can't wait to play State of Emergency as smashing up things just seems like a good thing to do. There is something about the look of the game that make it appear like no other game, I can't wait to start rioting.
Fri 22/02/02 at 12:14
Regular
I'll have to get myself this game, methinks.

Just need to wait until I get paid next week is all...
Fri 22/02/02 at 12:51
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I think you've hit it there Meka.

It's all about the gameplay.
Not trying to get extra costumes or beating the puzzle, it's about pitting yourself against yourself and getting as many points as poss.

The Kaos mode, you need to get a certain amount of points to unlock the next level etc, and it gives you a chart of what you need to unlock what features.

Sure you can do the missions and have a goal to achieve, but the main chunk of this game, for me, is just running about scoring.
And I love the no end-of-level bosses, no puzzles to figure out, not "Get this key to unlock this door" and you spend 2hrs traipsing about trying to locate a key.

Game starts.
You run about hitting things.
You die or you move on
The end.

Simple, adrenalin gaming dressed up in fancy graphics and excellent sound.
Fri 22/02/02 at 12:52
Regular
"I confused?"
So basically you are a gang of thugs.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.