GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A response to Belldandy's "Online gaming" woes"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/12/02 at 09:49
Regular
That I started to write in his thread, then decided to start my own yet mindlessly hit "post" instead of closing.
So, repeated here but also with additional mindspew:
--------

Welcome, console owners, to the world we PC enthusiasts have been operating in for about 5 years or so.
Online gaming. Xbox Live - getting in before Sony do and Nintendo never will.
You've all read about the "stunning possibilities" of playing "real-life opponents from all corners of the globe".
But what Microsoft neglected to mention, and what any PC owner could have told you eager console gamers?

Online gaming sucks.

Sure, it's a novelty at first to be able to play real people from all over the world. But soon, very soon, you become aware of the suckness inherent in playing other people.
Namely? Other people aren't you.
Some will have nothing else to do all day (these are usually unemployed Americans living in basements with T1 connections) and take great delight in obliterating new players with no mercy. Because they are fat virgins with zero social skills - you, as a newbie, are there to satisfy their retarded social growth and you *will* lose.
A lot.
It may be because they're better than you. But mostly it's because they cheat.
You'll soon see people using wall-hacks (this allows them to see through walls so you can't sneak up on them), they use ghosting (you can be invisible to other players, thereby running amok with no fear of being tagged) and all manner of rubbish cheats.
Again, mainly by obese teen-males that have yet to feel the loving caress of a woman (or man, depends on your wiring) so they make themselves feel better by cheating at games.

Or the connection speed. Anything other than broadband and you're doomed mate, just play against bots offline.

Or spastic 9yr olds on their brother's machine, finding it funny to shoot their own team, throw flashbangs willy-nilly, give away positions, steal vehicles and run you down.
These are my particular favourites and the reason I just dont bother to play online anymore.
Be it Unreal Tournament, Ghost Recon, Operation Flashpoint...there's always a moron that just wants to mash buttons with his big slobbering Sloth-like mouth and giggle with barely coherent sounds at the idea he's shooting someone.
Anyone. Even you.

Online gaming sucks.
The "cool!" factor in playing real people online soon disappears under the weight of pasty virgins desperately trying to validate their basement dwelling existence through cheaty gaming.
And we havent even begun to talk about clans yet.

Clans. Online "groups" of like-minded individuals that take online gaming seriously and wish to participate in tournaments, weekly/monthly meetings and do a bit more than occasionally log on and shoot some fase.
Except...9/10 Clans are anal-retentive, paramilitary groups operated by (once again) pasty geeks that lack human contact outside of "w00t" and whatever rubbish geek-speak they use to distinguish themselves from healthy, tanned, happy people.
(Quick piece of advice to anyone that thinks typing "13leet" or something similar - you are not cool. You are not an uber-gamer. Using these phrases clearly marks you out as the sort of person that buys blueprints of Star Trek/Star Wars vehicles, goes to conventions and laugh because other people can't be bothered to learn Klingon)

Which is why I ended up forming my own Clan.
Because I was sick of having to adhere to "rules and regs". Some online clans actually run "training courses" and operate a ranking system. Like some big Benny-fied Army for hunchback, monitor-tan soldiers that laugh in big "hyuck hyuck" inhaling breaths before needing their inhaler.
I had enough, and thus was born The UK Dentists.
Nobody in The UKD are dentists. We were striving for a name that indicated just how seriously we took the world of online gaming.
As proud Clan Leader, I am happy to report I havent bothered to play for over 5 months. 12 of our members are banned from Gamespy for buggering about, we're blacklisted by the Operation Flashpoint ladder-match organisers and one of the world's biggest (saddest) clans has offered to fly over from The States to beat us up for "not taking it seriously".

Online gaming is the not the future.
It's everything geeky and assmunch you'll ever want to find from human lifeforms.
Tue 10/12/02 at 19:47
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
BEARDS. wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> ...and one of the world's biggest (saddest) clans
> has offered to fly over from The States to beat us up for "not
> taking it seriously".
>
>
> Well played.

Just take one for the game.
Tue 10/12/02 at 18:13
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Goatboy wrote:
> ...and one of the world's biggest (saddest) clans
> has offered to fly over from The States to beat us up for "not
> taking it seriously".

Well played.
Tue 10/12/02 at 14:34
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
I have to say MMORPG or whatever they are a good idea and can get into your life in a big way but the price's need to drop.
Tue 10/12/02 at 12:39
Regular
Online gaming is ready in it's basic and simplest form. Get a few guys and have a challenge, that's it.

Mario Kart online, excellent idea.
Pro Evo online, excellent idea.
Gran Tourismo online, excellent idea.

When they start doing stupid things like biohazard online, that's when the mechanics of online gaming become a bit blurred, but it's not your job to decide how to make these things work, it's just your right to buy things you like, and your right to avoid things you don't.
Tue 10/12/02 at 12:36
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I never talk to anyone when on an online game, even though I could talk through my mic if I wanted to. The reason being I don't have time to chat with complete strangers I don't know or care about and will never see again past the game.

It's pointless and just distracts you from the game. Besides the only thing people use headphones on their PC for is verbal spam, I'm just glad I can mute them because it can get annoying.
Tue 10/12/02 at 12:23
Regular
The more people play, the more they'll chat.

It's just a matter of getting used to it all.
Tue 10/12/02 at 00:01
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Yea but as Sav pointed out in the other thread- its all fine being chatty and paly in forums but alot of people will be nervous, shy and feel strange talking aloud to other people. It will be quite alien.

Im being honest and will say that I will feel self akward using it. My family will be thinking im going crazy if they hear me talkin alone in a room. :P But, in time EVERYONE will think talking during games is the real difference between PC and XBOX online. Again, as Sav says, be brave and break barriers by talking- others wil follow.
Mon 09/12/02 at 23:40
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
I know what you mean its as if we have known each other for years isn't it?
Mon 09/12/02 at 23:29
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Online has loads of potential. On the DC I played a few nights every week at Quake 3 arena. Other than Lag there was no cheaten BS around, and it was your own skill mostly that won a match.

PC gaming is different. I played RTCW at my friends house and the online lay was amazing ie levels, objectives teamplay etc. The people I was playing against did spot it- super BB conection and a rite bunch of serious gits. The requested I got kicked from the game because is was new and had a 56k connection.

Xbox Live SHOULD be great. If everyone from this site is on your buddy list then there's no reason to worry about the seriousness.
Mon 09/12/02 at 23:24
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
and if you and your mate start attacking your instantly classed as teaming grrrr

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.