GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What would you do with 1 Million Pounds?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/05/12 at 14:56
"possibly impossible"
Say you'd just won the lottery or inherited a million pounds from a rich aunt to spend on what you want.

What would you buy? Would you invest or just spend the money straight away? Would you still work in your current job/go to uni etc?

Of course, a million isn't as much as it was, would it be enough to realise your life's dream? Or perhaps you wouldn't want the money anyway?

I think the first thing I'd do would be to buy a bigger house. 3 bedrooms (well, 2 and a study room) is too small for us and as my daughters get older they'll want separate rooms. At the current rate it's probably half the money gone already.

We'd then take a proper holiday, as we haven't had a holiday that didn't involve visiting family and DIY since the year 2000. I might put a bit aside to develop my website further and the other site I write for too, to help them out.

Last, but not least, I'd ensure that some of our money went to help local charities or individuals that we know, but I'd need to find a way to do it anonymously.
Tue 29/05/12 at 22:59
Regular
Nin wrote:
Why 13?

I would have guessed for the Financial Services Compensation if the bank goes under. 85k across 13 accounts = 1,105,000.
Tue 29/05/12 at 22:25
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Anyway to answer the question.

I was going to say I'd buy a house but seeing as my partner owns her own it's a bit pointless. I'd open a restaurant, there's little point in trying to live off the interest with rates so low so you might as well try and invest it somewhere.
Tue 29/05/12 at 22:21
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Alfonse wrote:
Put it into 13 different bank accounts and live off the interest.

Why 13?
Tue 29/05/12 at 11:01
Regular
Put it into 13 different bank accounts and live off the interest.

Or if I was going to spend it in one foul swoop, I'd probably buy a piece of super dilapidated property, then renovate and sell it. Rinse and repeat. I'd probably put the rest in the bank for future surgical procedures etc.
Tue 29/05/12 at 10:15
"possibly impossible"
We've got houses like that (and bigger) in the Woodbury area. It's a pretty exclusive area and the prices reflect that, but I'd prefer to live a bit nearer to civilization than out in the sticks just to have a big house.

This one is one of the higher end houses in that area.

There are some lovely houses near to our primary school that would be ideal, all around that £400k-£600k mark and all big enough for our needs. Our 3 bedroom end terrace house is currently around £160k.
Tue 29/05/12 at 09:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
Nope, £500,000 will buy a good size house: like this

Excellent value pb, plus it's got some garden :¬)

But I'll take this
Tue 29/05/12 at 08:53
Regular
"And in last place.."
I'd pay off the mortgage, pay off the car and then constantly check the bank balance incase it was all a dream.

Edit: That was still on £1 million.

With £10 million I'd be buying a shiny Ferrari, driving straight to my company's head office on Lancashire and telling the management how dismal they are. I haven't decided if I'll resign or wait to be sacked.
Mon 28/05/12 at 23:17
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]£500,000 can get you a good sized 4 or sometimes 5 bedroom house down here with a good view of the sea (without being too close to the beach).

This I presume is not a beach hut or chalet or is it? Bedrooms the size of a 'shoebox' aswell, I would assume for your location?

Ok. Let's up the cash: What would you get with £10 million?

At least 2 million for another house, but then I'd sell the one I live in at the moment and so bank that cash.

2 million for each of my sons.

No worries regarding bills anymore, so in my humble estimation I've still got at least 4 million to play with as I choose .... simples and practical :¬)[/i]

Nope, £500,000 will buy a good size house: like this
Mon 28/05/12 at 22:12
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
£500,000 can get you a good sized 4 or sometimes 5 bedroom house down here with a good view of the sea (without being too close to the beach).

This I presume is not a beach hut or chalet or is it? Bedrooms the size of a 'shoebox' aswell, I would assume for your location?

At least 2 million for another house, but then I'd sell the one I live in at the moment and so bank that cash.

2 million for each of my sons.

No worries regarding bills anymore, so in my humble estimation I've still got at least 4 million to play with as I choose .... simples and practical :¬)
Mon 28/05/12 at 21:23
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
Haha what 'tosh' ... you can't do anything with a million these days! A decent house, for all, is going to take most of it as long as you select 'an older property', new build are 'tiny' for a million.

@Dr G ... best idea yet and the most practical.

Now if the 'pot' was 10 million, then you have some leeway to be sensible and extravagant at the same time :¬)

£500,000 can get you a good sized 4 or sometimes 5 bedroom house down here with a good view of the sea (without being too close to the beach).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.