GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Politics - Your Policies"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 23/05/12 at 13:25
"possibly impossible"
Many people often grumble and complain about the Government and their polices, but rarely come up with anything workable as an alternative.

So, now's your chance. Tell me a policy or law you'd like to put in place and explain how and why it would work.
Sat 26/05/12 at 23:35
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
Well, it comes down to

A) what the state can afford
B) an average worked out via various calculations based on the cost of living.
C) nothing that will please everyone, but it's a purely financial decision because there is absolutely no way of working it out realistically any other way.

What was your solution?

A ... paid for by?
B ... averages are always suspect, depends what you take and what you divide it by ... top and bottom and divide by 2 or top to bottom and divide by all? Totally different end figures.
C ... exactly, if you've got money you don't want to give it away to the ....

My solution? Still waiting for one pb, never seen anybody successfully solve (or to even try to solve) the inequality and greed caused by the finance problem. It's ... if you've got it ... keep it and flaunt it but don't give it away and if you haven't ... we'll you haven't ;¬)
Sat 26/05/12 at 21:28
"possibly impossible"
Well, it comes down to

A) what the state can afford
B) an average worked out via various calculations based on the cost of living.
C) nothing that will please everyone, but it's a purely financial decision because there is absolutely no way of working it out realistically any other way.

What was your solution?
Sat 26/05/12 at 20:44
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pb wrote:
You need a careful balance, enough money for people to live, but enough incentive for businesses.

Again ... who or by what criteria do you quantify "enough money for people to live" ... it's Big Brother again, "I'll live as I want, but you lot can live with what I give you".

What is 'enough money for people to live'?

What does 'this enough money to live' give?

Does this 'enough money' make them 'feel glad to be alive and worthwhile members of the human race'?

There's your "careful balance" ... sounds too much like a Conservative vacuous comment about 'enough money' actually :¬)
Fri 25/05/12 at 22:53
"possibly impossible"
You need a careful balance, enough money for people to live, but enough incentive for businesses. I don't think encouraging businesses to take staff they don't need is a good idea, though.

The other thing I worry about is the proposed policy to relax laws on firing staff, without affecting rules about upper management of course.
Fri 25/05/12 at 22:19
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Davidm4 wrote:
Maybe the minimum wage law shouldn't apply to small businesses rather than a complete removal.

I'm afraid that the 'minimum wage brigade' have been positively over-active since the 'recession' began. It has been a very useful tool for businesses to offer employment and demand the highest of qualifications but to only pay the legal minimum to the successful applicant, who's so eager to 'get their foot on the ladder', that they accept it.

Recently, I heard of numerous jobs locally that were being 'snapped' up by immigrant Poles! ... Why so many ? ... below the minimum wage ;¬)
Fri 25/05/12 at 21:05
Regular
Sonic Chris wrote:
There's no need to scrap minimum wage. There are already enough places breaking that law, to make it official would be ridiculous. My mate works at a fish and chip shop for a chinese couple, he gets way under minimum wage, but there's no other work around for him, so he does it anyway.

Has your friend considered calling the Pay and Work Rights Helpline to be paid back what he is owed?. There are two likely scenarios: He is being exploited by a business that can comfortably afford to pay him or the business cannot afford to pay the minimum wage. The former is what this law is for but for the latter the business has a choice of paying below minimum wage or not offering a job at all. Considering your friend decides to take it anyway, I would assume he is happy that they offer the opportunity.

Maybe the minimum wage law shouldn't apply to small businesses rather than a complete removal.
Fri 25/05/12 at 20:52
Regular
I disagree. The minimum wage is fine where it is. I used to earn close to minimum wage selling fragrances. I could shift about £300 worth of merchandise an hour on a busy day. I know drug dealers who make a better percentage.
Fri 25/05/12 at 20:32
Regular
Alfonse wrote:
In what reality are companies forced to take on workers they don't want?

Forced was the wrong word to use. Just stating that it is easier for the government to get companies to hire workers for free as it doesn't matter whether they want them or not, whereas it wouldn't be easy to for the government to get people hired on minimum wage, if they weren't wanted. I'm suggesting there is a middle ground here.
Fri 25/05/12 at 12:19
Regular
"How Ironic"
Davidm4 wrote:
We don't always have to give an alternative, sometimes its just a burden of overlegislation.

Scrap the minimum wage law.

People complained about the governments policy of getting youth into work as slave labour and yet I don't consider it fair to force companies to take on workers that they don't want for minimum wage. Without the law they could pay them enough for transport and food costs at least.

There's no need to scrap minimum wage. There are already enough places breaking that law, to make it official would be ridiculous. My mate works at a fish and chip shop for a chinese couple, he gets way under minimum wage, but there's no other work around for him, so he does it anyway.
Fri 25/05/12 at 00:16
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Davidm4 wrote:
Scrap the minimum wage law.

That would be disastrous. As well as destroying the housing market, you cause mass deflation, weaken the ability to attract international talent and make importing more expensive in a country that isn't a big producer anymore.
If you want more people employed, you have to make it worth it for them. That starts with affordable, available social housing that doesn't get sold to the private sector. Unfortunately Thatcher destroyed council housing when she sold off large sectors in the 70's and the current housing situation is disastrous because of the banks refusing to invest.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.