GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which next-gen console has the best controller?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 20:21
Regular
The dawn of a new era in videogames has also brought about the next step of controllers. Innovation, accessability and design have advanced as graphics and gameplay have. The success of the controller could have a bearing on the success of the console. But which one is the best?

Gamecube - Nintendo have always been at the forefront of pad design, with notable milestones being the introduction of analogue stick (N64) and shoulder buttons (SNES). The Gamecube designer seems to be no different. The analogue stick is perfectly placed, and the positioning of the butons seems perfect for all shaped hands. It just feels right, and the built in rumble pack and superb shoulder triggers only add to the comfort.

Playstation 2 - It seems Sony have taken heed opf the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Little has changed from the PSone pad apart from analogue sensitive buttons, but the lack of games that have taken advantage of it means it is essentially the same pad. Saying that, it is still quite good.

XBox - What a shocker. Unless you have giant hands the controller seems to bulky, and unlike the Gamecube pad which seems like an extension of your hand you constantly have to wrestle with this pad, and the moulded D-pad and close, tiny buttons don't help. Microsoft's inexperience in the console industry definitely shows.

It seems only Nintendo have a real commitment to improvement and quality, and unlike PS2 who seem content to tweak their existing controller, Nintendo have really pushed the boat out in terms of design and comfort, and in my opinion have the best next-gen pad. But as the N64 showed controller excellence doesn't necessarily = huge sales.

What do you think is the best?
Wed 13/02/02 at 19:47
Regular
Sony's is not original and XBOX is just like the Sega Saturn so i will Go For GAMECUBE
Wed 13/02/02 at 09:43
Regular
"¬_¬"
GameCube - Nice size, comfortable to hold, and doesn't feel as though it'll fall straight out of your hands when you hold it. May be a bit small for the XXL's, but a great controller

PS2 - Good, sensible design but doesn't 'melt into your hand', and I often feel as though I'm losing my grip on it. Joysticks are placed in an awkward position, and playing with your index and middle fingers on the shoulder buttons is a nightmare...

Xbox - Comfortable, but quite big, as is the problem for most people holding it. Not as comfortable as the GameCube, but good all round anyway.

Rating:
1st - GameCube
2nd - Xbox
3rd - PS2

This is unbiased; I have played with all the controllers and it is my honest opinion. The PS2 controller is a bad design I think; it should have been changed for the PS2. Despite that, it is laughable that people think the PS2 controller is better than others. Oh well *sigh*, ma' Herman.
Wed 13/02/02 at 06:39
Regular
But the point I'm making is do you think Sony have taken the easy route by using the same controller?
Tue 12/02/02 at 21:46
Regular
"Wants Superpowers!"
The xbox pad i way to big, and has to may buttons, my little bro had trouble reaching all the buttns on it at the same time, GC pd is ggo sbu i my view is too similar to the PS2 so i think te Ps2 has the best pad, the fact that it works on both PS1 and 2 helps
Tue 12/02/02 at 21:43
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
RM18 wrote:
> I totally agree. But does anyone else feel Sony took the easy way out by using
> the old PS controller. It wouldn't have been that bad if they were backwards
> compatible, but people have to pay extra for the same pad

i ^agree. but i didn't know that the ps2 controllers can't be used for the ps1 or vice versa
Tue 12/02/02 at 21:34
Regular
Legendary Link wrote:
> Sony used the same controller because the PS2 is backwards compatible, would
> have been a bit of a problem if the controller was different.

exactly new console same controller perfect
Tue 12/02/02 at 21:11
Regular
Still, it is a bit lacklustre on Sony's part, especially as the PSone pad wasn't as good as the N64 pad, let alone the GC pad
Tue 12/02/02 at 21:03
Regular
Sony used the same controller because the PS2 is backwards compatible, would have been a bit of a problem if the controller was different.
Tue 12/02/02 at 21:00
Regular
Legendary Link wrote:
> I got the master system, snes and N64 before playing them.

That may be so, but they had superb games at launch to entice people into buying it
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:58
Regular
I totally agree. But does anyone else feel Sony took the easy way out by using the old PS controller. It wouldn't have been that bad if they were backwards compatible, but people have to pay extra for the same pad

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.