GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which next-gen console has the best controller?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 20:21
Regular
The dawn of a new era in videogames has also brought about the next step of controllers. Innovation, accessability and design have advanced as graphics and gameplay have. The success of the controller could have a bearing on the success of the console. But which one is the best?

Gamecube - Nintendo have always been at the forefront of pad design, with notable milestones being the introduction of analogue stick (N64) and shoulder buttons (SNES). The Gamecube designer seems to be no different. The analogue stick is perfectly placed, and the positioning of the butons seems perfect for all shaped hands. It just feels right, and the built in rumble pack and superb shoulder triggers only add to the comfort.

Playstation 2 - It seems Sony have taken heed opf the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Little has changed from the PSone pad apart from analogue sensitive buttons, but the lack of games that have taken advantage of it means it is essentially the same pad. Saying that, it is still quite good.

XBox - What a shocker. Unless you have giant hands the controller seems to bulky, and unlike the Gamecube pad which seems like an extension of your hand you constantly have to wrestle with this pad, and the moulded D-pad and close, tiny buttons don't help. Microsoft's inexperience in the console industry definitely shows.

It seems only Nintendo have a real commitment to improvement and quality, and unlike PS2 who seem content to tweak their existing controller, Nintendo have really pushed the boat out in terms of design and comfort, and in my opinion have the best next-gen pad. But as the N64 showed controller excellence doesn't necessarily = huge sales.

What do you think is the best?
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:21
Regular
The dawn of a new era in videogames has also brought about the next step of controllers. Innovation, accessability and design have advanced as graphics and gameplay have. The success of the controller could have a bearing on the success of the console. But which one is the best?

Gamecube - Nintendo have always been at the forefront of pad design, with notable milestones being the introduction of analogue stick (N64) and shoulder buttons (SNES). The Gamecube designer seems to be no different. The analogue stick is perfectly placed, and the positioning of the butons seems perfect for all shaped hands. It just feels right, and the built in rumble pack and superb shoulder triggers only add to the comfort.

Playstation 2 - It seems Sony have taken heed opf the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Little has changed from the PSone pad apart from analogue sensitive buttons, but the lack of games that have taken advantage of it means it is essentially the same pad. Saying that, it is still quite good.

XBox - What a shocker. Unless you have giant hands the controller seems to bulky, and unlike the Gamecube pad which seems like an extension of your hand you constantly have to wrestle with this pad, and the moulded D-pad and close, tiny buttons don't help. Microsoft's inexperience in the console industry definitely shows.

It seems only Nintendo have a real commitment to improvement and quality, and unlike PS2 who seem content to tweak their existing controller, Nintendo have really pushed the boat out in terms of design and comfort, and in my opinion have the best next-gen pad. But as the N64 showed controller excellence doesn't necessarily = huge sales.

What do you think is the best?
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:23
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
GC and ps2s controllers are very, very similar, except for the shanpe and arrangement of the buttons.

Xbox's controller looks the best, but doesn't look to comfy.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:25
Regular
Theres an xbox in my local games store and the controller is way to chunky, the gamecubes controller looks like Fisher price has made it but probably will fill the best.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:26
Regular
Twain wrote:
> GC and ps2s controllers are very, very similar, except for the shanpe and
> arrangement of the buttons.

Xbox's controller looks the best, but doesn't
> look to comfy.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you take away the difference in shape and button arrangement, what exactly is left to be similar???
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:28
Regular
Does it really matter if the Gamecube controller looks like Fisher Price? If the controller fits well and does the job best then surely colour design is irrelevant
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:30
Regular
I think it does when its sitting next to the xbox and the PS2 in a games shop.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:31
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I meant the shape of the buttons.

I mean, if the buttons on the right were circular, there you have it, a fresh PS2 controller.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:36
Regular
Is the buying public really so stupid though to buy a console or a pad on the basis of its looks? I must admit that it does come into the equation but surely quality of design and games are the most important thing
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:37
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Yes, that is what I'm like.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:40
Regular
The buying public (people who have never bourght a consol befor) probably are.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.