GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Which next-gen console has the best controller?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/02/02 at 20:21
Regular
The dawn of a new era in videogames has also brought about the next step of controllers. Innovation, accessability and design have advanced as graphics and gameplay have. The success of the controller could have a bearing on the success of the console. But which one is the best?

Gamecube - Nintendo have always been at the forefront of pad design, with notable milestones being the introduction of analogue stick (N64) and shoulder buttons (SNES). The Gamecube designer seems to be no different. The analogue stick is perfectly placed, and the positioning of the butons seems perfect for all shaped hands. It just feels right, and the built in rumble pack and superb shoulder triggers only add to the comfort.

Playstation 2 - It seems Sony have taken heed opf the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Little has changed from the PSone pad apart from analogue sensitive buttons, but the lack of games that have taken advantage of it means it is essentially the same pad. Saying that, it is still quite good.

XBox - What a shocker. Unless you have giant hands the controller seems to bulky, and unlike the Gamecube pad which seems like an extension of your hand you constantly have to wrestle with this pad, and the moulded D-pad and close, tiny buttons don't help. Microsoft's inexperience in the console industry definitely shows.

It seems only Nintendo have a real commitment to improvement and quality, and unlike PS2 who seem content to tweak their existing controller, Nintendo have really pushed the boat out in terms of design and comfort, and in my opinion have the best next-gen pad. But as the N64 showed controller excellence doesn't necessarily = huge sales.

What do you think is the best?
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:58
Regular
I got the master system, snes and N64 before playing them.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:54
I dont think anyone is stupid enough (exept for someone who is loyal to a certain brand) to buy a console whithout playing it first. Part of the desisive things when trying a console it how quickly you get used to it. if you are fumbeling about with the controller then you are not putting
all of your effort into the game making it hard and not fun. you sub-consiosly
enjoy the game which you controll the best, most.
This means that the ps2 controller, people are alredy familier with so that is fine. The gamecube controller is, a better controller than both the xbox and ps2, but it is new so it needs time to settle in. lasly the xbox, badly made and new so, is is awful.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:53
Regular
It really is terrible. Saitek are gonna be rich.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:50
Regular
Getting back to the original question of controllers. I tried an XBOX pad in Woolworths recently and thought it was absolutely terrible. The size of buttons to pad size was horribly disproportionate, and the analogue sticks felt horrible. It just felt like a swollen Dreamcast pad, which wasn't great either
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:48
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> Legendary Link wrote:
> The buying public (people who have never bourght a
> consol befor) probably are.

In that case, why have so many people bought the
> PS2, which looks like an expensive skiffle board?

maybe cause they don't know what a skiffle board is, and maybe cause its the only next gen consol on the market.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:46
Regular
First time buyers would, i would probably be effected by the coulour a bit.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:45
Regular
Legendary Link wrote:
> The buying public (people who have never bourght a consol befor) probably are.

In that case, why have so many people bought the PS2, which looks like an expensive skiffle board?
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:43
Regular
Twain wrote:
> Yes, that is what I'm like.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I don't know maybe I'm in the minority.

On an interesting note, who buys a console on the basis of looks, or how much does it influence your decision?
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:40
Regular
The buying public (people who have never bourght a consol befor) probably are.
Tue 12/02/02 at 20:37
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Yes, that is what I'm like.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.