GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've Been 'Halo'ed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Thu 19/12/02 at 19:21
Regular
Forget the Tango advert; forget everything else because 'I've been 'Halo'ed'! Still wondering what I am talking about? My results should speak for themselves:

Single Player:

5 Times on Easy
5 Times on Normal
1 Time on Heroic
1 Time on Legendary

Co-Op:

1 Time on Normal
1 Time on Legendary

My completion stats are above and that's not mentioning the Multi-Player mayhem I have had with friends and family, but what kept me coming back for more? Overall I have clocked around 300 hours playing Halo yet after playing 'Timespliters 2' for 10 minutes I couldn't wait to put the pad down and walk away. Bridging the gap between superb graphics and superb gameplay is a very rare thing in the gaming industry, yet a small company known as Bungie and a very small company known as Microsoft managed to do something which you don't see every day or for that matter, every year!

I still feel hungry to go back and take out a hoard of Covenant grunts or wipe out an entourage of the Flood! Is it the Surround Sound? The graphics or the gameplay? Or is just the sheer thrill factor I get from blasting my way through the Library mission whilst my ears dance to some of the most ambient and creative music ever programmed into a video-game.

The Xbox is hailed as a system without 'The appeal' that the Playstation 2 console has yet however many times you play GTA3 the same things happen over and over, but strangely enough every time I play Halo I see something new or I play the game in a completely different way.

By far the biggest challenge I have gotten out of my Xbox system or any other for that matter was playing through the main game on legendary difficulty. Some enemies regenerate their power, they attack in groups and the intelligence displayed from the covenant as you try to get the 'Master Chief' out of the action is something of a whole new level. Earlier on this year I completed the game on legendary difficulty whilst playing through with brother, but nothing could compare me for the single player action! 'Halo' isn't short game so don't get that impression from my completion stats, in fact it has taken me 3 months to complete the game on Legendary whilst juggling between 'coursework' for my GCSE's and trying to fight may way through to rescue 'Captain Keys' from the Brigg.

The question on the minds of those who don't own an Xbox, YES it is worth getting an Xbox just to play this game! With that one over I will get back to discussing what else lies between the depths of Earth, The Moon and Halo!

For those who are lucky enough to own a Home Cinema system will probably agree with me in saying that Halo contains the best Sound Effects and Music yet seen on any console. The music rotates around the room in full 360 degree delight as bullets travel from speaker to speaker as you fight your way through each mission. As ships fly over you the Subwoofer grows like an angry dog and the floor shakes like a naked man in the snow (Don't look any further into that ;)! Reloading your weapon in giant structures creates an echo feeling around the room where as out-doors it sounds flat as if the sound waves are struggling to find anything to refract off. At stages in the game I felt as though I was on Halo and that 'Cortana' was only a few feet away from me, to understand what I am saying would require you to play the game in Dolby Digital 5.1!

Anticipating Halo 2 isn't going to be that easy as near the release of that there will be 3 other first person shooters released for the Xbox going by the names:

Perfect Dark 2
Doom 3
Quake 4

Microsoft and Bungie have promised that Halo 2 will be twice as good as the first Halo; the question on my mind is how can they manage that? Better graphics, better sounds and better gameplay, yet I would be very happy with more of the same.

Some say that Halo is just an addition to the First Person Shooter family, I think otherwise, I believe that Halo has revolutionised the First Person shooter genre in more ways than one and in ways that you have to experience to understand. I had my doubts early on as to whether it was better than Deus EX, Half Life or Unreal but 300 gameplay hours on from that I can safely say that Halo is my favourite first person shooter of all time and in my opinion the greatest. As we speak Master-Chief is orbiting earth in the ship he escaped from Halo with (he is in the Bungie programming office anyway), but where will his journey take him?

After watching the Halo 2 trailer around 20 times I have been looking at which planet or structure lies beneath him as he throws himself out of the ship?! Is it earth? Will he land on the ship passing by underneath him only to find that a new breed of alien has taken over it and he is just going to have to travel wherever it takes him? Will he miss the ship and land in the middle of the war going on below? All these questions are going through my mind as I try to figure out what Halo 2 is going to feature and what the game is going to be about.

I think that on behalf of all Xbox owners I can safely say that Halo 2 is going to be bigger than the release of the first Halo as we now know what to expect in terms of style, controls and usage of the Xbox hardware. Halo didn't push the Xbox system to the point of crashing, but from what I have seen and read of Halo 2 so far it looks like it is going to take these foundations and create a game which will surpass all others in its genre and become possibly the greatest game ever made.

One question you can ask yourselves in the mean time is, "Have you been 'Halo'ed?" If you haven't then isn't it time you were?!

Halo UK 'March 14th 2002'!

Thankyou for Reading

~Alastair~
Thu 26/12/02 at 14:20
Regular
Halo not great? Infact no its certianly not great? Its one of the best games of all time, maybe you don't like it that is fine but you can't generalise your opinion to fit the majority of peoples who have played the game. Don't just play one level and say that you like it or don't, you have to keep up with the story and understand the twists otherwise you don't get what is happeneing.
Thu 26/12/02 at 01:10
Regular
Halo's nice in single player, but gets a bit repetitive. Multiplayer's good fun - but not a patch on Timesplitters 2. Vehicles though [such as the Warthog], are top notch. Halo's pretty good, but certainly not great.
Wed 25/12/02 at 20:18
Regular
"Whatever!"
I felt the same when I first played Halo!
Wed 25/12/02 at 20:10
Regular
""To the pub...""
I've just got my xbox

and Halo is deffently the best F.P.S i've played in fact one of the best game i've ever played i'm a big F.P.S fan i've played them on all systems but i can safely say no other game of this genre even comes close to halo in fact halo is so good i spent all today playing not once trying splinter cell or sega gt 2002 or jet set radio future or mad dash racing.

everthing about halo is very good the Graphics are some of the best i've seen although their first generation graphics of the xbox i can't wait to see second generation graphics like halo 2

then theres the freedom in halo its levels are big and let you go where you want and also guide you the right way.

The A.I is amazing little battles between convent aliens and marines spring up everywhere and troops talk to each other use vehicals lus hide behind objects etc it really make you feel involved

the multiplayer have'mt played this yet since i only have 1 control pad but i am hoping to get another control pad on saturday on my birthday since i do play goldeneye on multiplayer but hate the fact that its all indoors and the music in fact after playing goldeneye on multiplayer when you come off i don't know everyhting seems weired but on halo theirs outdoors you play co-op mode plus use vehicals and loads of dfferent playing styles

Overall i think this game is BRILLIANT by far the best F.P.S and anyone who plays this game and is not to impressed most probably does'nt like F.P.S games anyway or is lieing and has'nt played it at all

cyclone you say that all you do is shoot stuff hmm that is the general idea of all F.P.S's

if the people who are not to impressed would like to suggest another F.P.S that comes close to HALO so i can laugh

and by the way to all nintendo fans metroid-prime is not a F.P.S its a F.P.A and anyway HALO 2 will be out next year with xbox live capablities
and perfect dark zero etc

anyway l8ers for now
Tue 24/12/02 at 11:33
Regular
Well it is one of the best games ever developed and one that I will use as a bench mark to compare to other first person shooter games.
Mon 23/12/02 at 00:42
Regular
"lei fang!!!!!"
I love playing FPS with 2 players such laughs!!

we play halo extreme sports
Sun 22/12/02 at 19:58
Regular
Sorry I should have explained myself properly, I meant as well as what was put below but I thought people would pick up on that. I haven't read the edge article but I have seen the new Warthogs off IGN I think.
Sun 22/12/02 at 19:42
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Alastair wrote:
> I wonder what Halo 2 is going to do with it's multiplayer, it is an almost guarentee that it will be compatible with Xbox Live so net play will be HUGE. I think bots are a definite but other details are rather scarce at the moment!

Did you not read my post below? XboxLive play will be there in a big way, but i dont think Bots are planned. There was alot in the Edge artice about halo 2. Screenshots of the new veichles, characters and weapons + more.
Sun 22/12/02 at 13:26
Regular
Halo's Multi-player options are better than the majority of games on the market and from my experience they offer the best. There are lots of different matches and modes, up to 16 can play at once and the weapons are varied however I would like to see more. I wonder what Halo 2 is going to do with it's multiplayer, it is an almost guarentee that it will be compatible with Xbox Live so net play will be HUGE. I think bots are a definite but other details are rather scarce at the moment!
Fri 20/12/02 at 22:49
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Multiplayer is NOT average. If you think so you are and almightly fool and don't realise good gaming experience when you see it. When ever my friends and I play 4 player Timespliters 2 we all quickly get bored and i get ordered to put Halo on. I player 4 player Halo for a few hours there now, on a little game we created called unseendeath(everyones invisable and everyone has sniper weapons- motion tracker allowed).

I know alot of info on Halo 2 due to the Edge issue, which SHOWED models of 4 new warthogs, new quad veichle , new covanent veichle shaddow, 2 new weapons, 2 new races to fight against named prophets and Brutes, and also the configuration of how Halo 2 will work online.

Online games will be Spartans Vs Elites, on huge epic battlegrounds similar to the ones seen in the single player game. Each map will have objectives and also scripted events such as Airstrikes happing at the same time.

Edge also disclosed that Single player rewards will be given to encourage replay- possibly new multiplayer skins.

There was alot more in the Edge article when they visited Bungie, and this was all they were alowed to disclose at this time. Garbe. i mean Alastar might be relieved to hear that work on Halo 2 began as soon as Bungie recieved Xbox Dev kits.

Very exciting, and if you want to know more- just ask.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.