GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've Been 'Halo'ed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Thu 19/12/02 at 19:21
Regular
Forget the Tango advert; forget everything else because 'I've been 'Halo'ed'! Still wondering what I am talking about? My results should speak for themselves:

Single Player:

5 Times on Easy
5 Times on Normal
1 Time on Heroic
1 Time on Legendary

Co-Op:

1 Time on Normal
1 Time on Legendary

My completion stats are above and that's not mentioning the Multi-Player mayhem I have had with friends and family, but what kept me coming back for more? Overall I have clocked around 300 hours playing Halo yet after playing 'Timespliters 2' for 10 minutes I couldn't wait to put the pad down and walk away. Bridging the gap between superb graphics and superb gameplay is a very rare thing in the gaming industry, yet a small company known as Bungie and a very small company known as Microsoft managed to do something which you don't see every day or for that matter, every year!

I still feel hungry to go back and take out a hoard of Covenant grunts or wipe out an entourage of the Flood! Is it the Surround Sound? The graphics or the gameplay? Or is just the sheer thrill factor I get from blasting my way through the Library mission whilst my ears dance to some of the most ambient and creative music ever programmed into a video-game.

The Xbox is hailed as a system without 'The appeal' that the Playstation 2 console has yet however many times you play GTA3 the same things happen over and over, but strangely enough every time I play Halo I see something new or I play the game in a completely different way.

By far the biggest challenge I have gotten out of my Xbox system or any other for that matter was playing through the main game on legendary difficulty. Some enemies regenerate their power, they attack in groups and the intelligence displayed from the covenant as you try to get the 'Master Chief' out of the action is something of a whole new level. Earlier on this year I completed the game on legendary difficulty whilst playing through with brother, but nothing could compare me for the single player action! 'Halo' isn't short game so don't get that impression from my completion stats, in fact it has taken me 3 months to complete the game on Legendary whilst juggling between 'coursework' for my GCSE's and trying to fight may way through to rescue 'Captain Keys' from the Brigg.

The question on the minds of those who don't own an Xbox, YES it is worth getting an Xbox just to play this game! With that one over I will get back to discussing what else lies between the depths of Earth, The Moon and Halo!

For those who are lucky enough to own a Home Cinema system will probably agree with me in saying that Halo contains the best Sound Effects and Music yet seen on any console. The music rotates around the room in full 360 degree delight as bullets travel from speaker to speaker as you fight your way through each mission. As ships fly over you the Subwoofer grows like an angry dog and the floor shakes like a naked man in the snow (Don't look any further into that ;)! Reloading your weapon in giant structures creates an echo feeling around the room where as out-doors it sounds flat as if the sound waves are struggling to find anything to refract off. At stages in the game I felt as though I was on Halo and that 'Cortana' was only a few feet away from me, to understand what I am saying would require you to play the game in Dolby Digital 5.1!

Anticipating Halo 2 isn't going to be that easy as near the release of that there will be 3 other first person shooters released for the Xbox going by the names:

Perfect Dark 2
Doom 3
Quake 4

Microsoft and Bungie have promised that Halo 2 will be twice as good as the first Halo; the question on my mind is how can they manage that? Better graphics, better sounds and better gameplay, yet I would be very happy with more of the same.

Some say that Halo is just an addition to the First Person Shooter family, I think otherwise, I believe that Halo has revolutionised the First Person shooter genre in more ways than one and in ways that you have to experience to understand. I had my doubts early on as to whether it was better than Deus EX, Half Life or Unreal but 300 gameplay hours on from that I can safely say that Halo is my favourite first person shooter of all time and in my opinion the greatest. As we speak Master-Chief is orbiting earth in the ship he escaped from Halo with (he is in the Bungie programming office anyway), but where will his journey take him?

After watching the Halo 2 trailer around 20 times I have been looking at which planet or structure lies beneath him as he throws himself out of the ship?! Is it earth? Will he land on the ship passing by underneath him only to find that a new breed of alien has taken over it and he is just going to have to travel wherever it takes him? Will he miss the ship and land in the middle of the war going on below? All these questions are going through my mind as I try to figure out what Halo 2 is going to feature and what the game is going to be about.

I think that on behalf of all Xbox owners I can safely say that Halo 2 is going to be bigger than the release of the first Halo as we now know what to expect in terms of style, controls and usage of the Xbox hardware. Halo didn't push the Xbox system to the point of crashing, but from what I have seen and read of Halo 2 so far it looks like it is going to take these foundations and create a game which will surpass all others in its genre and become possibly the greatest game ever made.

One question you can ask yourselves in the mean time is, "Have you been 'Halo'ed?" If you haven't then isn't it time you were?!

Halo UK 'March 14th 2002'!

Thankyou for Reading

~Alastair~
Fri 27/12/02 at 20:20
Regular
Even with Metorid Prime and Deus EX 2 I still believe that Halo 2 and Perfect Dark 2 (not forgetting Doom 3 and Unreal 2) will be up there challenging, the best game we will have to wait and see but from a gamers perspective and Xbox owners next year looks even better than this for releases and thats not fogetting GameCube owners who can look forward to Metroid Prime. I am anticpating the updated previews of Deus EX 2 for now as that will be released before the rest I think.
Fri 27/12/02 at 19:50
Regular
In reply to Alistair:

Deus Ex is my favourite game of all time (alongside Ocarina Of Time) and I own it on the PS2 and PC (as it was £4.99). In my opinion, it was the first true successor to Goldeneye and gained the first person shooter crown. To this day, I believe it still retains it. As good as Halo, Timesplitters 2, Jedi Knight 2 and the rest are, nothing has quite come close to recreating the originality and brilliance of Deus Ex (and it doesn't even have a multiplayer mode).

Looking towards next year though, there are many things that could become the best shooter. My money's on Metroid Prime and Deus Ex 2, which are confirmed to be great - but no-one knows just how great.
Fri 27/12/02 at 19:43
Regular
WonderSwan wrote:
> Timespliters 2 does not even come close to halo in
>
> graphics
About the same, except Timesplitters 2 are a bit more on the cartoony side.
> sound
Not a difference, really.
> atmosphere
Halo probably wins on this one.
> playability
Halo's got a nicer single player.
> weapons
Weapons are better on TS2. Halo's shoot different coloured light.
> options
Loads on both.
> multiplayer
TS2 wins hands down.

> you can have your own opionion

Thank-you

> but trust me HALO is the best F.P.S so far and nothing comes close.

Oh.. I just thought you said I could have my opinion. Nothing comes close? Deus Ex annialhates it in single player, and Timesplitters 2 and Goldeneye 007 destroy it in multiplayer. Jedi Knight II has an overall nicer feel, and actually brings new things to the genre.

Halo was good, but apart from those vehicles, didn't really do anything different. Therefore, it's not great.
Fri 27/12/02 at 18:18
Regular
The first person games to look out for next year on the Xbox could all take the crown:

Perfect Dark 2
Halo 2
Quake 4
Unreal 2
Doom 3
Deus EX 2
Operation Flashpoint

I am a huge FPS fan and then you wonder why I got an Xbox!

Halo is better than Goldeneye but at the time Goldeneye was unbeatable! I have just got 007 Nightfire for Christmas and in my opinion it is better than Goldeneye. The graphics are better, the controls are better, the weapons are better, the 5.1 Dolby Digital is excellent and the unlockables/gameplay keep the game from dropping below the worthy purchase mark.

If Halo had been released instead of Goldeneye then you would be saying the same thing about Halo. Yes Goldeneye was a classic and one of the top 10 games of all time but in the same breath I would say that Halo is in there ahead of it. Without sounding anti-Goldeneye there have been a few FPS shooters that are equal if not better than it.

I am sure Maverick would agree with me on this one, Deus EX is an outstanding game that I believe picked up the lack of great FPS games and created something that I won't forget. It is an RPG/Action/Adventure/Puzzle/Shooting game that although was re-created for the PS2 still remains a better purchase on the PC. The game took me around 50 hours to complete and even then I went back for more and changed the way I played it through the first time.

Everyone is talking about Halo 2, Metroid Prime and Perfect Dark 2 as great FPS games to look out for next year but to be honest I think that Deus EX 2 will be up there with those titles and challenging for the FPS crown. To be honest I am suprised that there haven't been any updated previews of the game as it is due for release early next year.

You talk about Goldeneye being the best and it WAS the best about 5 years a go. A lot has happened since then, Half Life, Deus EX, System Shock, Halo, Medal of Honour Allied Assault, Medal of Honour Frontline have all been released and in my opinion they are better than Goldeneye in almost all depertments. Yes I do remember the amazing first level on Goldeneye, the excting breach into the secon mission, paint ball mode, excellent gameplay, the great story line, the first proper use of stealth and the great ideas behind each level but I do believe it is time to move on.

People will remember Goldeneye as the only good FILM>>GAME release of the 1990's and the best transfer yet. However old dust is old dust and resurrecting a game to compete with the likes of Halo, Metorid Prime, Deus EX and Half Life is insulting a classic in my opinion. At the time Goldeneye was the best in every department, but with the 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio, Special Effects, breath taking technology to create realistic environment and characters, improved controls and some excellent FMV sequences (Nightfire has the best I have seen yet in a Video-game) you can't compare something that although was a bench mark to something of the current gaming era because in my opinion the results prove conclusive, todays FPS shooter games are better than Goldeneye.
Fri 27/12/02 at 17:48
Regular
""To the pub...""
I know what i just said before i played halo and had a xbox i would have said the best F.P.S i've played was probably goldeneye or perfect dark

and goldeneye used to be fun on multiplayer now that i have a xbox and halo goldeneye is a relic of its day but now things have moved on and halo had claimed the crown as best F.P.S

i find the game more enjoyable to play and multiplayer halo is brilliant alot better than goldeneye
Fri 27/12/02 at 10:49
Regular
phi11ip wrote:
> It really is a great game!

I played it round some womans house the other day, we did'nt sleep all night...

As we were playing 1080º snowboarding.

Goldeneye sucks (sorry, I used to love it, Back in the day) But the multiplayer is simplistic and the controls are awkward. I think FPS games have moved on since Goldeneye, I regard it as one of the best FPS *IN* The N64/Playstation era.

Its time to move on.
Thu 26/12/02 at 21:06
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
WonderSwan wrote:
> i played goldeneye alot 2 but multiplayer was boring inside all the
> time

Goto your room and think about what you just said!

The 4 player deathmatch on Goldeneye is still great to play even today!

It really is a great game!
Thu 26/12/02 at 20:35
Regular
""To the pub...""
i played goldeneye alot 2 but multiplayer was boring inside all the time

but now i have halo i can deffently say it IS DEFFENTLY THE BEST F.P.S !!!
Thu 26/12/02 at 18:34
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Goldeneye is and always will be the best ever FPS!

I've played that game soo many times!
Thu 26/12/02 at 18:34
Regular
""To the pub...""
maverick you are one of a few

HALO is a master piece

Timesplitters 2 is a average f.p.s

Timespliters 2 does not even come close to halo in

graphics
sound
atmosphere
playability
weapons
options
multiplayer

you can have your own opionion

but trust me HALO is the best F.P.S so far and nothing comes close.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.