GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've Been 'Halo'ed"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo'.
Thu 19/12/02 at 19:21
Regular
Forget the Tango advert; forget everything else because 'I've been 'Halo'ed'! Still wondering what I am talking about? My results should speak for themselves:

Single Player:

5 Times on Easy
5 Times on Normal
1 Time on Heroic
1 Time on Legendary

Co-Op:

1 Time on Normal
1 Time on Legendary

My completion stats are above and that's not mentioning the Multi-Player mayhem I have had with friends and family, but what kept me coming back for more? Overall I have clocked around 300 hours playing Halo yet after playing 'Timespliters 2' for 10 minutes I couldn't wait to put the pad down and walk away. Bridging the gap between superb graphics and superb gameplay is a very rare thing in the gaming industry, yet a small company known as Bungie and a very small company known as Microsoft managed to do something which you don't see every day or for that matter, every year!

I still feel hungry to go back and take out a hoard of Covenant grunts or wipe out an entourage of the Flood! Is it the Surround Sound? The graphics or the gameplay? Or is just the sheer thrill factor I get from blasting my way through the Library mission whilst my ears dance to some of the most ambient and creative music ever programmed into a video-game.

The Xbox is hailed as a system without 'The appeal' that the Playstation 2 console has yet however many times you play GTA3 the same things happen over and over, but strangely enough every time I play Halo I see something new or I play the game in a completely different way.

By far the biggest challenge I have gotten out of my Xbox system or any other for that matter was playing through the main game on legendary difficulty. Some enemies regenerate their power, they attack in groups and the intelligence displayed from the covenant as you try to get the 'Master Chief' out of the action is something of a whole new level. Earlier on this year I completed the game on legendary difficulty whilst playing through with brother, but nothing could compare me for the single player action! 'Halo' isn't short game so don't get that impression from my completion stats, in fact it has taken me 3 months to complete the game on Legendary whilst juggling between 'coursework' for my GCSE's and trying to fight may way through to rescue 'Captain Keys' from the Brigg.

The question on the minds of those who don't own an Xbox, YES it is worth getting an Xbox just to play this game! With that one over I will get back to discussing what else lies between the depths of Earth, The Moon and Halo!

For those who are lucky enough to own a Home Cinema system will probably agree with me in saying that Halo contains the best Sound Effects and Music yet seen on any console. The music rotates around the room in full 360 degree delight as bullets travel from speaker to speaker as you fight your way through each mission. As ships fly over you the Subwoofer grows like an angry dog and the floor shakes like a naked man in the snow (Don't look any further into that ;)! Reloading your weapon in giant structures creates an echo feeling around the room where as out-doors it sounds flat as if the sound waves are struggling to find anything to refract off. At stages in the game I felt as though I was on Halo and that 'Cortana' was only a few feet away from me, to understand what I am saying would require you to play the game in Dolby Digital 5.1!

Anticipating Halo 2 isn't going to be that easy as near the release of that there will be 3 other first person shooters released for the Xbox going by the names:

Perfect Dark 2
Doom 3
Quake 4

Microsoft and Bungie have promised that Halo 2 will be twice as good as the first Halo; the question on my mind is how can they manage that? Better graphics, better sounds and better gameplay, yet I would be very happy with more of the same.

Some say that Halo is just an addition to the First Person Shooter family, I think otherwise, I believe that Halo has revolutionised the First Person shooter genre in more ways than one and in ways that you have to experience to understand. I had my doubts early on as to whether it was better than Deus EX, Half Life or Unreal but 300 gameplay hours on from that I can safely say that Halo is my favourite first person shooter of all time and in my opinion the greatest. As we speak Master-Chief is orbiting earth in the ship he escaped from Halo with (he is in the Bungie programming office anyway), but where will his journey take him?

After watching the Halo 2 trailer around 20 times I have been looking at which planet or structure lies beneath him as he throws himself out of the ship?! Is it earth? Will he land on the ship passing by underneath him only to find that a new breed of alien has taken over it and he is just going to have to travel wherever it takes him? Will he miss the ship and land in the middle of the war going on below? All these questions are going through my mind as I try to figure out what Halo 2 is going to feature and what the game is going to be about.

I think that on behalf of all Xbox owners I can safely say that Halo 2 is going to be bigger than the release of the first Halo as we now know what to expect in terms of style, controls and usage of the Xbox hardware. Halo didn't push the Xbox system to the point of crashing, but from what I have seen and read of Halo 2 so far it looks like it is going to take these foundations and create a game which will surpass all others in its genre and become possibly the greatest game ever made.

One question you can ask yourselves in the mean time is, "Have you been 'Halo'ed?" If you haven't then isn't it time you were?!

Halo UK 'March 14th 2002'!

Thankyou for Reading

~Alastair~
Thu 19/12/02 at 19:21
Regular
Forget the Tango advert; forget everything else because 'I've been 'Halo'ed'! Still wondering what I am talking about? My results should speak for themselves:

Single Player:

5 Times on Easy
5 Times on Normal
1 Time on Heroic
1 Time on Legendary

Co-Op:

1 Time on Normal
1 Time on Legendary

My completion stats are above and that's not mentioning the Multi-Player mayhem I have had with friends and family, but what kept me coming back for more? Overall I have clocked around 300 hours playing Halo yet after playing 'Timespliters 2' for 10 minutes I couldn't wait to put the pad down and walk away. Bridging the gap between superb graphics and superb gameplay is a very rare thing in the gaming industry, yet a small company known as Bungie and a very small company known as Microsoft managed to do something which you don't see every day or for that matter, every year!

I still feel hungry to go back and take out a hoard of Covenant grunts or wipe out an entourage of the Flood! Is it the Surround Sound? The graphics or the gameplay? Or is just the sheer thrill factor I get from blasting my way through the Library mission whilst my ears dance to some of the most ambient and creative music ever programmed into a video-game.

The Xbox is hailed as a system without 'The appeal' that the Playstation 2 console has yet however many times you play GTA3 the same things happen over and over, but strangely enough every time I play Halo I see something new or I play the game in a completely different way.

By far the biggest challenge I have gotten out of my Xbox system or any other for that matter was playing through the main game on legendary difficulty. Some enemies regenerate their power, they attack in groups and the intelligence displayed from the covenant as you try to get the 'Master Chief' out of the action is something of a whole new level. Earlier on this year I completed the game on legendary difficulty whilst playing through with brother, but nothing could compare me for the single player action! 'Halo' isn't short game so don't get that impression from my completion stats, in fact it has taken me 3 months to complete the game on Legendary whilst juggling between 'coursework' for my GCSE's and trying to fight may way through to rescue 'Captain Keys' from the Brigg.

The question on the minds of those who don't own an Xbox, YES it is worth getting an Xbox just to play this game! With that one over I will get back to discussing what else lies between the depths of Earth, The Moon and Halo!

For those who are lucky enough to own a Home Cinema system will probably agree with me in saying that Halo contains the best Sound Effects and Music yet seen on any console. The music rotates around the room in full 360 degree delight as bullets travel from speaker to speaker as you fight your way through each mission. As ships fly over you the Subwoofer grows like an angry dog and the floor shakes like a naked man in the snow (Don't look any further into that ;)! Reloading your weapon in giant structures creates an echo feeling around the room where as out-doors it sounds flat as if the sound waves are struggling to find anything to refract off. At stages in the game I felt as though I was on Halo and that 'Cortana' was only a few feet away from me, to understand what I am saying would require you to play the game in Dolby Digital 5.1!

Anticipating Halo 2 isn't going to be that easy as near the release of that there will be 3 other first person shooters released for the Xbox going by the names:

Perfect Dark 2
Doom 3
Quake 4

Microsoft and Bungie have promised that Halo 2 will be twice as good as the first Halo; the question on my mind is how can they manage that? Better graphics, better sounds and better gameplay, yet I would be very happy with more of the same.

Some say that Halo is just an addition to the First Person Shooter family, I think otherwise, I believe that Halo has revolutionised the First Person shooter genre in more ways than one and in ways that you have to experience to understand. I had my doubts early on as to whether it was better than Deus EX, Half Life or Unreal but 300 gameplay hours on from that I can safely say that Halo is my favourite first person shooter of all time and in my opinion the greatest. As we speak Master-Chief is orbiting earth in the ship he escaped from Halo with (he is in the Bungie programming office anyway), but where will his journey take him?

After watching the Halo 2 trailer around 20 times I have been looking at which planet or structure lies beneath him as he throws himself out of the ship?! Is it earth? Will he land on the ship passing by underneath him only to find that a new breed of alien has taken over it and he is just going to have to travel wherever it takes him? Will he miss the ship and land in the middle of the war going on below? All these questions are going through my mind as I try to figure out what Halo 2 is going to feature and what the game is going to be about.

I think that on behalf of all Xbox owners I can safely say that Halo 2 is going to be bigger than the release of the first Halo as we now know what to expect in terms of style, controls and usage of the Xbox hardware. Halo didn't push the Xbox system to the point of crashing, but from what I have seen and read of Halo 2 so far it looks like it is going to take these foundations and create a game which will surpass all others in its genre and become possibly the greatest game ever made.

One question you can ask yourselves in the mean time is, "Have you been 'Halo'ed?" If you haven't then isn't it time you were?!

Halo UK 'March 14th 2002'!

Thankyou for Reading

~Alastair~
Thu 19/12/02 at 21:06
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
It's a bit special, isn't it. Personally I think the single-player drags a bit, too many samey looking rooms about halfway through, but it's still bloody good fun. The multi-player rocks too, played with two mates the other day, just spent about 2 hours running each other over and shooting each other with sniper rifles.

Why don't more multi-player shooters have cars in them?
Thu 19/12/02 at 22:41
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> It's a bit special, isn't it. Personally I think the single-player
> drags a bit, too many samey looking rooms about halfway through, but
> it's still bloody good fun. The multi-player rocks too, played with
> two mates the other day, just spent about 2 hours running each other
> over and shooting each other with sniper rifles.
>
> Why don't more multi-player shooters have cars in them?

Multiplayer rocks but they dont have bots, which in my mind let it down a small amount. Where as on timesplitters 2 witht the bots and all the game modes i was in seventh heaven. Overall i would say Halo was miles in front but on mutlipalyer just a tad behind due to bots and a few restrictions. You probably disagree so dont shoot me down. Ok?
Thu 19/12/02 at 22:55
Regular
Some of the indoor sections look the same and the library mission is just 3 floors looking exactly the same just reversed or with a few extras. I still think that the single player is one of the best out there on next generation consoles!

I agree about the cars bit, get 4 Xbox's and link them up, go on the multi-player mission that has the two warthogs and is mainly sand and rubble (sorry can't remember the name, something cannyon I think?!) and have a huge racing tournament. Except instead of keeping the usual rules have 14 of the master chiefs hiding in the hills with rocket launchers and frage grenades, the first one to do 3 laps of the cannyon wins and then another two controls the warthogs until you reach the final! Its amazing fun especailly if you have 4 TV's 23" or above!

I agree Fosbe about the bots and Halo 2 is said to have them, bots extend the single player game as well as making the Multi-Player more fun. You can't have everything though, just be greatful for Bungie giving us a memorable single player game and the start of a great series of games :)
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:27
"High polygon count"
Meh. I haven't even completed Halo once yet. I find it tedious in the extreme. Starts out nice - it was the reason I bought the machine - but it rapidly falls away.

Multi-player is so-so. Co-op games are okay because you know the whereabouts of your team-mates. But head-to-head it falls apart for the exact same reason - as do all multi-player console FPS games.
Thu 19/12/02 at 23:42
Regular
Halo appeals to First Person Shooter fans in a big way and I would call myself a Huge FPS fan and that is why I get the maximum possible out of this game. I respect your opinion though as every game isn't for everyone.
Fri 20/12/02 at 00:41
Regular
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> It's a bit special, isn't it. Personally I think the single-player
> drags a bit, too many samey looking rooms about halfway through, but
> it's still bloody good fun. The multi-player rocks too, played with
> two mates the other day, just spent about 2 hours running each other
> over and shooting each other with sniper rifles.
>
> Why don't more multi-player shooters have cars in them?

That's my exact opinion.
The single player does get a bit dull and repetitive (it sort of loses it half way through Silent Cartographer) but the multiplayer is fantastic.
Vehicles, Sniping, the only downside is that 4 players just isn't enough.

Microsoft you fools! Why didn't you include this game on Xbox live?!?
Fri 20/12/02 at 02:01
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:

> After watching the Halo 2 trailer around 20

Pish

You call that anticipation?

If it's possible to corrupt a video file by watching it to much then I reckon I'm pretty close with the Killer 7 preview.

Best game of 2003.
Fri 20/12/02 at 02:32
Regular
"everyone says it"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Multi-player is so-so. Co-op games are okay because you know the
> whereabouts of your team-mates. But head-to-head it falls apart for
> the exact same reason - as do all multi-player console FPS games.

GOLDENEYE?

Never!
Fri 20/12/02 at 13:34
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Either way this game is great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.