GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I think newbies become regulars far too early"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/02/02 at 00:00
Regular
I think it should be 2 months, not 21 days, for various reasons. 300 posts is kinda OK, although I think that restriction shoud be removed altogether to avoid spamming.

I don't really know what's brought this on, I just think it should be done.

Well, that's lost me all my newbie votes. Meh.

Discuss.
Tue 12/02/02 at 01:30
Regular
"I'm you + 1!"
Or†ega wrote:
> Marmite, Yuk.

Anyone seen that advert with Zippy from Rainbow?

Sure have, zippy dont seem to like it does he, neiter does the unfortunately named bungle who wouldn't even go near te stuff to make it apparently

:)
Tue 12/02/02 at 01:27
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I propose the following system.

After thirty days, if the newbie has an average words per post of at least 50, (-10 for each GAD won during that time), and has logged in at least ten times per week in the most recent week and five times per week on preceeding weeks, they qualify to go on to newbie stage 2.

After a further ten days, the mk2 newbie must have been approved as a regular by over 50% of the existing notables, and have a maximum average of one typing error per 50 words in over 80% of the posts made in those ten days, noninclusive of any posts containing smileys or the letter 'q'. Should these conditions be met, mk3 newbie status is achieved.

Following fifteen more days of intense scrutinisation, the mk3 newbie must have memorised the unwritten laws of the FOG, and now has until the next full moon to sacrifice a virgin to Satan and tatoo the keltic cross on their chest.

If this is done, the mk3 newbie now qualifies as a sub-regular, and need only wait three lunar years before the final trial begins.

Should the sub-regular reach this stage, he or she need now only prove their faith by leaping out of any tenth story building, blindfolded and wearing a straight jacket. Once this is done, they are finally deemed worth to be a regular.

Unless one or more of the forum members disapproves, in which case the applicant is rejected.
Mon 11/02/02 at 23:20
Regular
Marmite, Yuk.

Anyone seen that advert with Zippy from Rainbow?
Mon 11/02/02 at 23:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
kottonmouth wrote:
> I don't take a rest every three hours, does that mean that my
> brain is damaged? Thanks for that synopsis Turbonutter, it was quite
> intruiging.

It's a one in three ratio, something we come to take as 8 hours every 16 hours of sleep, basically an 8-hours a night sleep pattern. However, you be up for 2 hours, go to sleep for an hour and then repeat and you'd be fine (but you may find it a bit annoying!)
Mon 11/02/02 at 22:41
Regular
"That's right!"
Kid Rock wrote:
> FantasyMeister wrote:
but if they haven't won a GAD during that initiation
> phase from Newbie
> to Regular they'd get a different title.

not entirely
> true because it took me 277 days to win a GAD

------------

And it took me less than 14 days I think
Mon 11/02/02 at 20:32
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:
but if they haven't won a GAD during that initiation phase from Newbie
> to Regular they'd get a different title.

not entirely true because it took me 277 days to win a GAD
Mon 11/02/02 at 20:25
Turbonutter wrote:
> kottonmouth wrote:
> I hate
> sleep. If I could, I probably wouldn't
> sleep - I'd just sit on my computer, eat,
> drink, play games, excersise and
> watch TV! That would be the life. I heard
> somewhere that you can actually
> die from a lack of sleep, in terms of lack of
> energy. Is that
> true?

Yes. You can die within 3 days if you get no sleep, but it's more
> because your brain fizzles out. More accurately, the synapses degrade. You brain
> needs a period of rest 1 hour in every 3 where it shuts down to rest. If it
> doesn't get this it gets damaged.

I don't take a rest every three hours, does that mean that my brain is damaged? Thanks for that synopsis Turbonutter, it was quite intruiging.
Mon 11/02/02 at 20:21
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I think FM's right, but it shouldn't be based on GADs. Not every posts that deserves to win GAD wins, and sometimes it can be months before you win, even if you deserved to ages ago *cough*.
Mon 11/02/02 at 20:20
are you attacking us poor newbies again, 21 days are far too long. Most of the dangerous newbies are just regulars who keep getting banned.
Mon 11/02/02 at 20:16
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
kottonmouth wrote:
> I hate
> sleep. If I could, I probably wouldn't sleep - I'd just sit on my computer, eat,
> drink, play games, excersise and watch TV! That would be the life. I heard
> somewhere that you can actually die from a lack of sleep, in terms of lack of
> energy. Is that true?

Yes. You can die within 3 days if you get no sleep, but it's more because your brain fizzles out. More accurately, the synapses degrade. You brain needs a period of rest 1 hour in every 3 where it shuts down to rest. If it doesn't get this it gets damaged.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.