GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Split HDD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/02/02 at 16:05
Regular
i've recently had a new hdd fitted, and my old one was slip in 2, C:/D: now i've got C:/D:/E:/ and a CD drive F:/ it's annoying, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to unsplit the drive, so i'd have C:/D: again :D
Sun 10/02/02 at 13:30
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Coughware?
Sun 10/02/02 at 13:22
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
:D thanks...again, all written down, but DOS isn't working, got the DOS.pif (stupid missing file thingie) now it's asking for a load more, not gonna try anything right now, trying to break my modem with excess downloads....
getting a copy of MAYA4..oooh, seen some screenys and they look tasty
Sun 10/02/02 at 12:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
OK...

Open fdisk. You will need to change the drive you're working on, as it will be looking at your 40gb one primarily. Change it to the other one.

Now, you need to delete both the partitions in it. Then, create a single primary DOS partition for the whole thing, and tell it do do its thing. PLEASE DO MAKE SURE however that you are not working on your 40gb drive (!!!).

When it's done you may have to run Window's Fat32 program to convert it into Fat32, as it could very possibly be in Fat16. It'll run, but Fat32 gives more space and faster performance.

Then, you should have a C:\ and a D:\, but I would advise a restart.
Sun 10/02/02 at 09:57
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
no, nothing important...ok....

my old drive (from my old PC which is 3.2Gb) was split in two, so we'd have a C: for Windows etc, and D: for storing all our stuff on, images and so on.
When we got our new pc we got new Hdd (40Gb) but my dad kept the old hdd so we'd be able to put all our saved stuff onto it, so now we have, C:(new hdd) D:/E: (old 3.2Gb hdd) I would take the old drive out, but it seems happy in it's new spot....so, it's the old drive that needs to be compressed or whatever, theres absolutly nothing on it (that I can see) except for a recycle bin (does anything ever get recycled??) I still havn't tried the fdisk, but i'll do that right now.
Sat 09/02/02 at 23:34
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
That's a good point, although it WAS on my HDD when I partitioned D:\

It's weird how you've got two drives though, have you looked in D:|? Don't do anything until you know what it is, it could very well be important. Companies don't split HDDs for nothing.
Sat 09/02/02 at 21:46
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
If you got partitionmagic (legal, of course), then you could merge the partitions without losing your data..as long as it doesn't crash in the process, as mine did.

Yes, probably best off just copying everything to the new drive and repartitioning/formatting the old one. fdisk will be on whatever boot disk you use, you can't store it on the hdd, it'll be erased with format etc..
Sat 09/02/02 at 20:38
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
LOL, thanks, I already had it, my pc doesn't seem to like me much, moving it's files around, maybe it's bored and just wanted to play a game, foolish PC.
Sat 09/02/02 at 19:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You don't have fdisk? Then you've got problems mate! What Windows are you using?

BUT!

With a quick tap of "locate fdisk" and some typey typey of "scp /c/windows/command/fdisk.exe [email protected]:/www/turbonutter/stuff/" I can give you:

http://luke.ac6.org/turbonutter/stuff/fdisk.exe

Have fun!
Sat 09/02/02 at 19:17
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
dos.pif! WHERE ARE YOU!
Sat 09/02/02 at 19:16
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
ok, start menu>run>fdisk didn't work, it couldn't find fdisk.exe my main (new) hdd is the C: the old one is D:/E: i've already formatted the drives by: my computer>d:/e:(right click)>format which worked, but didn't get rid of the partion, I'll try it in DOS

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.