GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Split HDD"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/02/02 at 16:05
Regular
i've recently had a new hdd fitted, and my old one was slip in 2, C:/D: now i've got C:/D:/E:/ and a CD drive F:/ it's annoying, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to unsplit the drive, so i'd have C:/D: again :D
Mon 11/02/02 at 14:35
Regular
Having the hard drive on the Same cable as you Cd rom is worse the chances are you cd rom is only Mode 4 which is slower than ata33 and ata66 you would be better putting the cd rom on the same cable as your second hard drive, i have known files to go missing on that sort of setup.

And about making a bootable floppy i have wrote how to do it a couple of post ago, also were to find the files.

Do you want me to send you all the files you need to your e-mail address????

Windows/command/ebd (the EBD part stands for Emergency boot disk) it has all the files that would be copied to a windows boot disk floppy in it but you can't just use them as you need a bootable floppy disk which i tell you how to do in a couple of posts ago.

If you are looking for DOS.exe that sint what the program that runs the Dos shell it is

Command.com

c.b.
E-mail me if you want me to send files to you.
[email protected]
Mon 11/02/02 at 09:01
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
AMD_MAN wrote:
> Quick note, is your new 40gig hard drive set as primary

40Gb is primary Cd is the slave, the old drive is the secondary

you can usually tell if the controller is
> ata66/100 by the fact that the slot for the ide cable on the motherboard is
> usually BLUE.

didn't know that, ok thanks

yeah, i've got two copies of fdisk.exe for some reason
windows/command
windows/command/ebd

weird, i'll have a go at fdisking again, problem is, I can't get into DOS because it needs a few files...i've no idea where they went.

any ideas where my.exe would be? it hasn't showed up on any searches so i'm guessing it's changed it's name or has run away.
Mon 11/02/02 at 08:23
Regular
Quick note, is your new 40gig hard drive set as primary(on the end of the ide cable and jumper set to master)and you second smaller hard drive set to slave (middle of ide cable and jumper set to slave) this has nothing really to do with the problem you have but if you have ata 66/100 controller on your motherboard then the likelyness is that your old drive is only ata 33 thus makeing the new 40 gig hard drive run at ata 33, if this is so then it might be worth your while removing the second hard drive.

you can usually tell if the controller is ata66/100 by the fact that the slot for the ide cable on the motherboard is usually BLUE.

c.b.
I know this has no relevance to your problem but it will slow down performance all the same
Sun 10/02/02 at 18:04
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
I agree - fdisk is the way, but isnt the point that the people who fitted the new drive shouldnt have screwed up the old one? Take it back and get them to sort it out.
Sun 10/02/02 at 17:21
Regular
if you want to find fdisk.exe it is in windows/command or windows/command/ebd it all depends on what OS you have all you should have to do in windows is go to start menu then find dos prompt and in dos prompt type C:/windows/command/fdisk.exe and then fdisk will come up choose change drive (or something like that) then choos drive 2 now delete extended partition and then primary partition, you can now create a primary partition.

Or if this doesnt work then go to the control panel select ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM and select one of the tabs (can't remember what it is called) this will give you a button to create an emergency boot disk which will also have fdisk.exe on it (I ADVISE YOU USE THIS WAY AS THEN YOU ARENT IN WINDOWS FOR IT TO CRASH ON YOU)

Or put floppy in drive go to my computer and right click on the floppy drive select format now if you are running windows 95osr2/98/98se/me/and xp it should give you some tick boxes so tick quick format and copy system files and this will create a bootable floppy disk that will take you to a dos prompt (the command line in dos to do this is C:/format A: /q /s), now got go to windows\command and copy fdisk.exe to a drive or go to windows\command\ebd and copy all files to A: drive copying over existing files.

WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM ARE YOU RUNNING????????????

c.b.
Sun 10/02/02 at 16:15
Regular
send all copies of partition magic to me so i can destroy them. I hate it it is the most poorly made program in the world, use fdisk.
Sun 10/02/02 at 15:51
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
sure thing, it's only just finished, it's for NT or higher
i'm on Kazaa
Sun 10/02/02 at 15:39
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
If it's coughware can I have a copy?

*Notes the brokenness of Windows*

Meh... it's still be nice to have one. Please?
Sun 10/02/02 at 13:44
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
i'm hoping it will work
Sun 10/02/02 at 13:31
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Heh, I'd presume so..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.