GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GCSE Exam Results"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/08/07 at 00:15
Regular
Anyone else expecting? I'm hella shook but I'll probably get a couple'o As. I'll post when I get but right now I'm off to numb the fear.
Thu 23/08/07 at 21:11
Regular
I got like an A*, and four As. Nine GCSEs in total.

Got a G in Art. XD
Thu 23/08/07 at 20:11
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Pah, all I wanted was A's in English and enough points to get into six form, and I accomplished that. I've been a nervous wreck for the last 24 hours, although I got a 5.7 average.
Thu 23/08/07 at 16:13
Regular
It's true that teachers can't be expected to be precise with every target, however, at the same time there's a degree of covering themselves going on. After all, pupils are predicted higher grades than they actually achieve so that the blame in a failure is shifted from a teacher's partial ineptitude to the failure of the student to do any work.

At the same time, the teacher's in my school were reasonably accurate, setting targets I and others surpassed or would have reached had some more work, or, any at all, gone in. It just seems like such an obviously fallible system to base what students will get at the end of the term in an exam they have months to revise for on stupid surpirse unit tests; but that is the fault of those who set the curriculum, constantly wanting to see targets met, and the teachers can hardly be criticised for a lack of available means to predict a student's exam performance.
Thu 23/08/07 at 15:26
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Chaos wrote:
> Was he expected all As or something?

I got an A*, As and Bs doing the same subjects, and he didn't put any work into it, so basically they're not happy!

And as for predicted grades; yup, they're often total crap. I think UCAS statistics say that up to 45% of the ones they're sent turn out to be wrong. I was told I was capable of B on my ICT A-Level this year - but it turned out that I'd actually need to retake an AS exam (And ace it, as I did) to get it. As for my GCSEs, I was predicted lower grades than I got in RS and History, being expected to do better than I was capable of in Maths. But then, you can't expect teachers to be spot on with predicting a grade for every student.
Thu 23/08/07 at 13:42
Regular
"You've upset me"
Welcome to apathy, TeeEnSee my son :D
Thu 23/08/07 at 13:35
Regular
Meh, I think all this 'predicted grade' nonsense is a crock of.. crap. At the end of the day, not too many people listen with rapt attention at all times in class or bother to revise for the 'unit tests' that can apparently judge how ready you are for an exam months down the line. You revise at the time, so you'll always do better or not, if you don't revise.

That was a little rant at the ridiculous system. I remember people's parents being disappointed that people weren't on target for As, as if it means anything. I was never on target for especially good grades, but pulled out a decent selection of A*s, As and Bs in the end. It's the same in the other way; I was predicted an A for maths; which was something I knew I'd never achieve.

My parents probably wouldn't be pleased if I got a selection of Cs and Ds simply because it shows a lack of effort on my part, when I should be able to do better. Having said that, the only work I really did for GCSEs was the essentials in Science and Latin; so I probably could have done better. Ah well.
Thu 23/08/07 at 13:18
Regular
"Mooching around"
Was he expected all As or something?
Thu 23/08/07 at 13:06
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Got a phone call home earlier; my bro got a load of B's and C's, and a D for good measure. My parents aren't best pleased with him...
Thu 23/08/07 at 12:29
Regular
"Funky Gibon"
Maths- A
Applied Business- AA
History- B
German- B
Eng Lang- B
Eng Lit- B
Science- CC
ICT- D
RE- B

Staying on for A-Level
Wed 22/08/07 at 17:44
Regular
Yeah it probably helped our teacher was a joke and basically gave up on everyone who wasn't in the artistically 'gifted' section of the class (the couple of tables of three people who actually completed the coursework for the deadlines, or, were only a few weeks late).

A teacher in art is pretty pointless anyway, when you think about it. I thought she'd be telling us exactly what stages to follow and which types of work should be done in each, when all we got was a rough run-through, once, followed by confusing terms like "Observations" and "A01" which ensured no one understood, or cared about, the course for the next two years.

[Edit - typo]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.