GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I don't believe it!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/01/03 at 17:28
Regular
I've had my PS2 for a good three years now (since it came out pre-ordered), but I certainly wouldn't have bothered if I knew that it cam with an expiry date!

Everytime I insert a game, it keeps making sounds that indicate it's not reading the disc properly. I'm thinking of ringing the customer hotline to tell them of the problem (in actual fact I'm seeking for mercy) but this just isn't right. I haven't done anything in anyway to my PS2 to not make it work properly, otherwise I wouldn't be complaining right this moment.

I even had to bash it a couple of time because I got so sick of it! My games are working, but it's so mush hassle to just try and start a game. Plus, when it tries to load a game, it makes a *clanking* noise. It wasn't until quite recently that I realised this clanking noise was in fact scratching and defacing my discs, which further makes the whole task of beginning a game even worse.

To be honest, I'm not too pleased by this considering I even payed the maximum price for my PS2 (300 quid) with no controller or memory card! Surely I have a case here!

Anyone else facing similar problems?
Thu 09/01/03 at 16:18
Regular
"Little Wonder You!"
I'vre had that three times already. the last time the replacement wasn't workin either and neither was the replacements replacement. Six Ps2's have been in my hands since I got mine from the waiting list. I should look on the bright side though, They're replaced in two days an my PS2 DVD software is always bang up to date.
Thu 09/01/03 at 16:06
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Thanks badgerturnip for that information.

I rang that number and everything has been sorted! They said my warranty had expired (which is true) and so I have to pay a repair or exchange price of 65 quid, which isn't so bad considering they could have turned me down completely and not given anything to me at all.

Plus, they gave me an address to send those scratched games to be repaired or replaced, so that's been sorted as well.

I'm over the moon!

:D
Thu 09/01/03 at 07:51
I've had similar and different problems with my PS2 which I purchased (Originally) on the incept date. In fact i've gone through a total of seven to eight units. Fair play to Sony who have replaced them, initial with the reconditioned units. But then with brand new consoles (including 12 month warranty). Don’t get me wrong it is a good console when it works. But a consumer product such as the PS2 shouldn’t really have this high a failure rate.
Wed 08/01/03 at 22:20
Regular
"Got any carrots?"
Ive had my PS2 since release date too and it wont play any CD format disc. It only plays DVD films/games.

I wrote to sony and i have to phone them to get more advice. But apparently if you really hassle them they will replace the faulty PS2 free of charge. Im really peed off cos I cant play 4 player virtua tennis 2 now!!!

Does anyone know if sony will replace my PS2 even though I opened it cos i was THAT desperate?
Wed 08/01/03 at 20:58
Maybe this is what is happening to my ps2. Lately it hasn't been reading some of my games, comes up with disc read error plus my dvd player often doesnt play dvds correctly anymore. I thought it was just dust had got into it but maybe i could blame it on this sincce i'vehad my ps2 since it came out.
Wed 08/01/03 at 20:49
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
This sounds very similar to the problem I had with my Playstation 1. It just wouldnt play the games, not until I tried loading it quite a lot of times. It made a sort of screechy noise and then the disc just kept spinning, but the game wouldnt work.

But they all work on the PS2 though, yey!

:)
Wed 08/01/03 at 18:30
"High polygon count"
badgerturnip wrote:
> I think this is only a problem for the Pre-ordered PS2's (with Model
> Nimber: SCPH-30003). The new PS2's or newer Models than SCPH-30003
> do not have this problem.
>
> Sony will not admit this is a fault with there SCPH-30003 models, but
> they will replace it for 65 pounds (for a refurbished new one)[e.g
> model 35003 or something).

Perhaps there is nothing to admit to, though?

My PS2 is a pre-ordered launch machine, and still performs flawlessly with any (valid) disc that I put in it.

There are several reports of these 'failings' every so often, but when you think how many machines were sold at launch, I don't think there's enough of them to consider it a major failing/problem. Though it is obviously a real pain in the backside for those that it does affect.

Also, remember that Sony were providing free replacement of faulty machines for a very long time AFTER the warranties of launch machines expired - longer than they needed to, or were required to, and certainly longer than any other company ever has.
Wed 08/01/03 at 17:32
Regular
Hi,

I had a similar problem back in October - I was getting a "Disc Read Error" or something for my DVDs (the CD's worked). It was scratching perfect circles into my DVD's.

I think this is only a problem for the Pre-ordered PS2's (with Model Nimber: SCPH-30003). The new PS2's or newer Models than SCPH-30003 do not have this problem.

Sony will not admit this is a fault with there SCPH-30003 models, but they will replace it for 65 pounds (for a refurbished new one)[e.g model 35003 or something).

They will also repair the scratched disc's for free - they will give you their Consumer Services address.

The number I phoned was:

08705 998877

They told me to stick five items in a bag and a courier came around and swapped them over.

I was a bit miffed about having to pay the 65 pounds as I'm sure it is a very common problem for the 30003 and think they should have recalled the machines - but this would have been costly and not very good publicity just as other consoles were coming out to market (back when they discovered it was a common problem).

Still this was my only (cheapest) option I had, as my pre-order of VC was just about to come out.
Wed 08/01/03 at 16:31
Regular
lol, thats wot happens to my bros whenever he wants to play gta3 or smackdown 3
Wed 08/01/03 at 16:29
Regular
"Cigar smoker"
Dont tell Sony about the bashing bit obviously ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.