GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Scary."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/01/02 at 16:41
Regular
I just got e-mailed this about my website which a few of you know of.

-----

Dear Mr Cahalan,

It has come to my employer's attention that you have begun operating a website by the name of "View and Play". I have been asked to make you aware that the name "View and Play" is a registered trademark of IBM Corporation in the United States of America, Europe and Japan, and therefore cannot be used as the name of any publication or product in any of these countries without prior permission.

However, as your website appears to be a small personal affair, IBM Corporation are willing to overlook your illegal use of their trademark on this occasion, on
the condition that you place the words "'View and Play' is a registered trademark of IBM Corporation and is used under license. This website is not associated with or endorsed by IBM Corporation." in a visible place on every
user-accessible page of your website. Furthermore, you may not make any attempt to give the impression that you are in any way affiliated with IBM Corporation.

I hope you will co-operate with these conditions and that legal action will be unnecessary. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me and
I will make every attempt to assist you.

Yours Sincerely,

Marcus Sampson
Head Clerk, Ferguson and Walsh Legal Services

Take on IBM? Or do what they say?

;-)

Hmmmmm. Jail or loose dignity?

Tough.
Thu 31/01/02 at 08:14
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Oh, hey Tyla. You're up early aren't you?

Not really, start at 7.30... but lets not stray from the subject in this thread... Back to IBM....
Thu 31/01/02 at 08:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh, hey Tyla. You're up early aren't you?
Thu 31/01/02 at 07:50
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Ooh... Keep us updated, It's grabbed my attention, especially as i cant find any record fo the legal form mentioned!!...
Thu 31/01/02 at 00:21
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
May I ask what IBM said to you??

I'm getting interested in this attempted fraud thing :o)
Wed 30/01/02 at 20:34
Regular
"Wasting away"
They e-mailed me informing me they are investigating the whole thing. Cos, I went to the trouble of contacting my host, who also happened to get e-mailed the same e-mail and then I personally contacted IBM, to find a reply 2 hours later. Those nice people.
Wed 30/01/02 at 18:51
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Could it be that it's just a pi**ed off person who wanted to have viewandplay.co.uk but you got there first???

hhhmmm, I wonder.

But when you say "IBM are investigating it", do you mean that they have told you they don't own it or sent you that E-mail or anything like that???
Wed 30/01/02 at 16:31
Regular
"Wasting away"
This appears to be fake. If only I could afford legal action, it would be done. Also, IBM are investigating it.
Tue 29/01/02 at 23:05
"High polygon count"
Write back telling them that no-one you've asked has ever heard of the term "View and Play" in relation to IBM, and that therefore you suggest they sack their entire advertising team for doing a second-rate job!
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:54
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Browsed the trademark DBs can't see anything like that belonging to IBM, but that proves nothing. :)

Strange way to handle things really. The company I work for have had several cases of this, its usually been done in writing rather than by email. Emails prove nothing.

If you wish to do something yourself, I'd suggest replying stating that you're happy to comply to the request but could you have official confirmation of this in writing from IBM, or from "Ferguson and Walsh Legal Services" along with some proof that they are authorized to act on IBM's behalf.
Its a perfectly reasonable request, and probably a good idea in case of future problems.

-G
Tue 29/01/02 at 17:04
Damn straight.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.