GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Scary."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/01/02 at 16:41
Regular
I just got e-mailed this about my website which a few of you know of.

-----

Dear Mr Cahalan,

It has come to my employer's attention that you have begun operating a website by the name of "View and Play". I have been asked to make you aware that the name "View and Play" is a registered trademark of IBM Corporation in the United States of America, Europe and Japan, and therefore cannot be used as the name of any publication or product in any of these countries without prior permission.

However, as your website appears to be a small personal affair, IBM Corporation are willing to overlook your illegal use of their trademark on this occasion, on
the condition that you place the words "'View and Play' is a registered trademark of IBM Corporation and is used under license. This website is not associated with or endorsed by IBM Corporation." in a visible place on every
user-accessible page of your website. Furthermore, you may not make any attempt to give the impression that you are in any way affiliated with IBM Corporation.

I hope you will co-operate with these conditions and that legal action will be unnecessary. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me and
I will make every attempt to assist you.

Yours Sincerely,

Marcus Sampson
Head Clerk, Ferguson and Walsh Legal Services

Take on IBM? Or do what they say?

;-)

Hmmmmm. Jail or loose dignity?

Tough.
Tue 12/02/02 at 22:02
Regular
"Wasting away"
Tom,

The e-mail that you sent a copy of to IBM's general enquiries e-mail ID is not a genuine one, that is it is not sent out by or on behalf of IBM. IBM does not have trade mark registrations for View and Play in any of the countries mentioned, nor am I aware of usage by IBM of the name View and Play. Please do not include the license text on your website. You may ignore the e-mail without fear of legal action by or on behalf of IBM.

Do you still have the original e-mail as it was received by the ID it was sent to? If so, could you forward me the e-mail (as opposed to cutting and pasting it). My userid is **** We may be able to determine something about the origin of the e-mail from the headers associated with
it.
Tue 05/02/02 at 00:13
Regular
"That's right!"
misterhappy wrote:
> Point taken, but the reason they were made up is because clerks work at
> barristers' chambers not at solicitors firms. You would get an e-mail from a
> solicitor who would then e-mail a clerk as well if he wanted to bring in a
> barrister to take you to court. And as clerks are employed by chambers its
> unlikely that any of them would have an e-mail address at IBM.

You just made my brain hurt!
Mon 04/02/02 at 23:51
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Point taken, but the reason they were made up is because clerks work at barristers' chambers not at solicitors firms. You would get an e-mail from a solicitor who would then e-mail a clerk as well if he wanted to bring in a barrister to take you to court. And as clerks are employed by chambers its unlikely that any of them would have an e-mail address at IBM.

I say you nail the barstardo.
Mon 04/02/02 at 08:32
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
misterhappy wrote:
> Tom it's a fake. The e-mail is from a clerk at a made up legal service (they're
> not on the web)

My solicitor is not ont he web, but he defiantely exists!!
Mon 04/02/02 at 05:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> I wish I knew some school email addresses though

Ooooeeer... ;-)
Sun 03/02/02 at 22:45
Regular
"That's right!"
misterhappy wrote:
> I remember at school when we e-mail other schools from another.com pretending to
> be scientists wanting to conduct completely bizarre experiments on students
> while they sat exams. We only got one reply back inquiring for further
> information. I can't remember which school it was, but they were willing to
> subject their students to underwater exams or something like that (we had a
> different experiment fro each school we e-mailed.)

Ha ha

I wish I knew some school email addresses though
Sun 03/02/02 at 00:02
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
I remember at school when we e-mail other schools from another.com pretending to be scientists wanting to conduct completely bizarre experiments on students while they sat exams. We only got one reply back inquiring for further information. I can't remember which school it was, but they were willing to subject their students to underwater exams or something like that (we had a different experiment fro each school we e-mailed.)
Sat 02/02/02 at 16:09
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
My mate sent a mate an E-mail from that another.com and pretended to be and FBI agent, saying about how his computer had been scanned and found prono stuff on it and they were coming around to see him .... which was quite funny, but I felt gulty knowing the truth seeing my mate get all worked up, evil buggers.
Sat 02/02/02 at 16:02
Regular
"That's right!"
My mate once got emailed by WCW after he tried to sell a South Park Wrestling game he made, which had WWF, WCW and ECW copyright infringments

This was before WCW went bankrupt by the way

He had to cancel his game... oh how I laughed
Sat 02/02/02 at 15:43
Regular
"Wasting away"
Just some idiot from the internet. And no, it wasn't a joke, because if it was a joke then normally you tell the person afterwards. Nothing I can really do, as much as I'd love to. Can you imagine the price to take legal action over something like this?!?

Also, would seem a rather petty thing. But I'm EVIL!!!!!!!

I hope they shut his site down, and murder him with some tongs using his testicles to suffercate himself with.

Ahem.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.