GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 Disk stuck - please help"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 18:40
Regular
Hi, need help URGENTLY - please!

Playing PS2 - Pro Evolution 1 till 3am....... fine
....turned PS2 on today will not run from disk, can not pop disk.

Everything else appears to be fine. Can browse memory card etc.
Disk not found - nothing happens - semi dead PS2

PLEASE HELP, anyone got any ideas as to what might be wrong and how to fix?

Thanks in advance

M
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:41
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
To fix your problem, make a note of the following 3 contacts:

Sony Playstation Service and Repair telephone number
0870 599 8877

Sony Website (includes hardware support)
www.playstation-europe.com

Email enquiries
[email protected]

Then follow the easy 10 step 'Open my disc-tray' troubleshooter

1) Ensure nothing is blocking the drive from opening
2) Ensure console is turned on when pressing the Drive Open button
3) If either of the above fail, see steps 4 to 10
4) With a flat-head screwdriver, prise off the PS logo from the front of the drive
5) With a hammer and chisel, remove the front of the disc tray from the tray itself (note, please wear safety goggles and be wary of flying plastic pieces)
6) With a pair of pliers, remove the disc that was in the tray, making sure not to touch the written surface of the disc with the metal grips of the pliers (unless it's Britney's Dance Beat, in which case it won't make much of a difference).
7) Carefully attach a 200lbs break tension steel core fishing wire through the hole in the disc tray, being careful not to allow it to touch the internal electronic components. If the PS2 is currently turned off, please skip step 8 and go straight to step 9.
8) If you've not turned the PS2 off, now is the time to pick yourself up from the corner in the other side of the room, call your hair dresser to arrange an appointment to repair your singed hair, apply Bandaids to those of your fingers that had 240 volts burn right through them, and go to step 7 again.
9) Attach the other end of your 200lbs break tension steel core fishing wire to a large object containing lots of potentially explosive kinetic energy like a racehorse, mother-in-law, SCUD missile etc and whip it/slap it/press the fire button as applicable, thereby ensuring your disc tray smoothly slides out from the PS2 console with the minimum of fuss.
10) Get in touch with Sony using one of the 3 contact methods listed at the top of this post, explain in a flat and totally sane voice that your PS2 has developed a slight fault in that the disc tray appears to have eaten itself, and await the arrival of your new replacement console within the next fortnight due to the fact that Sony hate bad press and would rather send you a new one to keep you happy rather than have you start posting bad things about them all over the world wide web.
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:11
Regular
megapode wrote:
> Mystique,
> you say micromart.co.uk
> can you give more of a clue where as this is a magazine site
> who did you actually use?
>
> Thanks for the help!
I used to work in a small games shop called Voodoo Consoles.
Every week a driver from Micro Mart would come round and pick up any consoles that need fixing, take them to the depo and bring them back the following week, fixed or not.

Actually forget all that I've just been to the site and it's the wrong company. D'oh.

Best thing to do is look in the yellow pages for local indapendant games shops. Give them a ring and ask if they fix consoles.
Mon 13/01/03 at 20:26
"period drama"
I wrote:

> Tried a crowbar?
> Hammer?
> Pneumatic drill?
> Saying please?
> Making sweet love to it?
> High explosives?
> A fall from a helicopter?
> Flowers?

You're not taking me seriously, are you.
Yes, yes - you're a little anooyed, but often the most obvious things work the best.
I'd recomend some flowers, chocolates then the high explosives,
Mon 13/01/03 at 20:20
Regular
"i like cars!!!!!!"
i had that problem i just got a one penny and push it into the disk tray.
Mon 13/01/03 at 07:41
Regular
"Party Hard"
On PC's there is usually an emegency way to get the drive open by using something like a wire brush to insert underneith the tray and gently pull it out. Don't know if it will work on PS2 though.
Sun 12/01/03 at 23:51
"High polygon count"
Silly question, but I'll ask it anyway...

Have you tried holding the eject button *as soon as* you power it on?

i.e. Switch on from the switch on the back, and when you press the button on the front to bring the machine out of standby mode, *immediately* press the eject button.

Usually this will cause the disc to eject before the machine has a chance to read the disc.
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:40
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
If there isn't a manual eject on it, I don't think there is much more you can do other than give sony a call and let them sort it out.

Unless you could carefully leaver it out. Then again, the whole drive might be broken, meaning even if you do manage to get the disk out, it still won't work when you put another in...

Only thing you can really do is get it repaired.
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:32
Okay, left it unplugged, haven't tried to open it - despite fact that I like to think I am IT engineer :) I decided to leave that to other clever people!

I can't believe that there is not a manual eject on the drawer - all other Sony kit has it!

Are there any more ideas (sensible) that might help or do I wait and ring Sony tomorrow?

M
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:26
Regular
"Woah dude!"
Have you unplugged it for a bit?
Sun 12/01/03 at 20:22
Regular
"Party Hard"
Just whatever you do, don't open up your PS2 (like i remember another useless moron doing).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.