GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Handheld Plans !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 21:09
Regular
Yup, if what my friend told me is true, then in around 2 or 3 years (awhile yet), Microsoft could be putting out competition to Nintendo's Gameboy systems.

My friend was telling me about it earlier, he got the news from a site which has skipped my mind because I was on X-Box Live as he chatted to me. I'll try and get the source for you lot as soon as I can though.

Anyway, apparently Microsoft have said that they will be developing a handheld console which will use X-Box technology - so a pretty bloody high spec handheld !
It'll certainly be interesting to hear more on this as the news comes in. :-)
Mon 13/01/03 at 10:00
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> SEGA and Sony have both released their own systems
>
> When did Sony ever release a handheld system?

PocketStation wasn't it? In Japan.
Mon 13/01/03 at 12:55
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Nerevar wrote:
> WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> SEGA and Sony have both released their own systems
>
> When did Sony ever release a handheld system?
>
> PocketStation wasn't it? In Japan.

No, the Pocketstation was a memory card with a little display on it like the Dreamcast VMU.

It would be nice for another company to produce a decent handheld to give the GameBoy a bit of competition, though I doubt it would ever really damage Nintendo's huge handheld market share (like the Neo Geo Pocket, a good little machine but didn't make an impact).
But, any kind of competition would be greatly welcome, as I feel that Nintendo have rather rested on their laurels a bit with the GBA of late, and haven't really been forced into making any killer title because of the lack of decent competition.
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:00
"High polygon count"
Totoro wrote:
> No, the Pocketstation was a memory card with a little display on it
> like the Dreamcast VMU.

Exactly! A standard 128k memory card with an LCD display and a few buttons, onto which you could download small games from certain full PSone titles (such as Ridge Racer 4) to play, which in turn unlocked some features of the main game.

It was never intended to be, nor claimed to be, a 'handheld' console.
Mon 13/01/03 at 14:01
"High polygon count"
er-yes wrote:
> Maybe Microsoft should make one console a success rather than jump
> into another market.

I dread to think how big an MS handheld would be! Probably something like the 80s mobile phones! ;-)
Mon 13/01/03 at 15:23
"Lemon eyewash"
i doubt they'd make it that big, there controllers are perfect (hate the controller S yuck!)

i think they'd do it right, just coz the x box is big doesn't mean a hand held would be, plus if you look at what's inside an x box you can see why it's big, mind you i have my PS2 and x box side by side and there aint much in it really. but then again i don't walk around with my x box all day like ninty's and there GC's :)
Mon 13/01/03 at 18:23
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I shoouldn't think Microsoft will bring a handheld console out, like Mav said, they have no place in that market. Also, what with the GBA SP on the way, i doubted Microsoft's Gameboy will success Nintendo.
Mon 13/01/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I feel a fanboy comment coming on...

'So, I suppose the battery pack will be carried in a backpack and you will have straps around your body to help you hold it?'
Mon 13/01/03 at 18:39
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Nope. Acually i am no fanboy, i prefer Nintendo to Xbox, but i have enjoyed a few xbox games. I just don't think that Microsoft would suceed in making a handheld console.
Mon 13/01/03 at 18:42
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I wasn't talking about you!

Read what I wrote again!
Mon 13/01/03 at 18:43
Regular
Knowing Microsoft it's more likely to be an electronic notebook that plays games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.