GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Handheld Plans !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 21:09
Regular
Yup, if what my friend told me is true, then in around 2 or 3 years (awhile yet), Microsoft could be putting out competition to Nintendo's Gameboy systems.

My friend was telling me about it earlier, he got the news from a site which has skipped my mind because I was on X-Box Live as he chatted to me. I'll try and get the source for you lot as soon as I can though.

Anyway, apparently Microsoft have said that they will be developing a handheld console which will use X-Box technology - so a pretty bloody high spec handheld !
It'll certainly be interesting to hear more on this as the news comes in. :-)
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:09
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Yup, if what my friend told me is true, then in around 2 or 3 years (awhile yet), Microsoft could be putting out competition to Nintendo's Gameboy systems.

My friend was telling me about it earlier, he got the news from a site which has skipped my mind because I was on X-Box Live as he chatted to me. I'll try and get the source for you lot as soon as I can though.

Anyway, apparently Microsoft have said that they will be developing a handheld console which will use X-Box technology - so a pretty bloody high spec handheld !
It'll certainly be interesting to hear more on this as the news comes in. :-)
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Heh.

The GBA Ultra Advanced should be out then. Whatever that is.

With GC discs and everything.

And Geforce 8 3D cards in it.

Yes.
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:33
Regular
SEGA and Sony have both released their own systems, they both had home consoles that were outselling Nintendo's and yet still they failed to crack Nintendo.

Can Microsoft do it? Sadly I doubt it, developers will jump aboard but not in the same capacity as the Gameboy...
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:45
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Nintendo definatly has the Gameboys past and name to back it up, but if anything can put a Microsoft handheld into the competition and give the Gameboy a big run for its money, then surely it will be something with a lot of power that brings some excellent games.

Not saying the Gameboy games are cack cause they're not, but what I'm saying is that why buy something like a 2D platformer when you can buy the likes of a Halo game that is close or equal to what we see on the X-Box now ?

If it ends up with that kind of power, then its success will no doubt come down to what Nintendo put out at the time. If Nintendo are still pushing out the GBA, then Microsoft could bring Nintendo a few problems.
For now though its going to be a case of ifs and buts, not a lot can really be said of any success or failure of a Microsoft handheld until more details are released on it and what Nintendo have in store for the handheld market within this 2 - 3 year period.

Should be interesting to see how it all developes though. :-)
Sun 12/01/03 at 21:57
Regular
Gosh

Coming soon;

Microsoft's Razebird controller, an XRectangle (working title) player that slots onto the bottom; link up with XBox games, simultaneous XBox play, new possibilities by connecting to the internet through the XBox and games designed as both console and handheld games to bring new ideas and innovations to the industry.

..hang on, haven't I seen this somewhere before?
Sun 12/01/03 at 22:03
Regular
I can't see Xbox power being battery friendly!

Or perhaps it'll run on car batterys...
Sun 12/01/03 at 22:09
Regular
I can't see this happening, and I also can't see them overthrowing the Game Boy - why would they? Microsoft have no business in the handheld market, and they realise it.

Your friend must be confused with the deal Microsoft cut with Intel to create a mobile entertainment device that plays videos, music and the works (excluding games). Should be out soon.

Check the SR news archives for more details.
Sun 12/01/03 at 23:53
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> SEGA and Sony have both released their own systems

When did Sony ever release a handheld system?
Mon 13/01/03 at 01:25
"Lemon eyewash"
ok it would be nice to have another hand held out but nothing can or will beat the GBA. it's got it's market locked. Sega tried and failed and Atari also tried and failed and as neat and cool as the neo geo pocket (i wanted one of them :( they were neat) they failed :(

it's probably the only thing made by Nintendo that i would own i reckon the GBA as the games are pretty cool on it and pass most car journeys and are dead handing when visiting dull relatives LOL (na not you Sav mate course LOL gotta cover me ground there)

i think though if anyone is likely to try it then it would be microsoft as they have the money and marketing to push such a device. Sony i feel see how strong the GBA is so there most likely to leave it alone i reckon.
Mon 13/01/03 at 09:58
Regular
"Rendering Women."
Maybe Microsoft should make one console a success rather than jump into another market.

If they just go for specs into a handheld. I believe it will ruin handheld gaming.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.