GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Handheld Plans !"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 12/01/03 at 21:09
Regular
Yup, if what my friend told me is true, then in around 2 or 3 years (awhile yet), Microsoft could be putting out competition to Nintendo's Gameboy systems.

My friend was telling me about it earlier, he got the news from a site which has skipped my mind because I was on X-Box Live as he chatted to me. I'll try and get the source for you lot as soon as I can though.

Anyway, apparently Microsoft have said that they will be developing a handheld console which will use X-Box technology - so a pretty bloody high spec handheld !
It'll certainly be interesting to hear more on this as the news comes in. :-)
Sat 18/01/03 at 13:31
Regular
Linux died - lack of battery life
Atari died - lack of battery life
Game Gear died - lack of battery life
Neo Geo died - Nintendo's strong hold too strong
WonderSwan died - Nintendo's stronghold too strong
Wonderswan 2 barley surviving - Nintendo's stronghold too strong.

And Microsoft won't stand up in Japan... its best Microsoft left it as it is and continued to make GBA games like they do.
Tue 14/01/03 at 18:45
Regular
The only thing about the GBA (before the recent annoucnements) is its lack of attention from Nintendo. They just ported loads of SNES classics (which are great!) but not many "fresh" titles. At least Nintendo are doing something now mind.

Who knows, An extra handheld might be good!
Mon 13/01/03 at 22:06
Regular
I don't agree with the competition thing, fine for consoles, but not hand helds. It won't be long before comapanies are buying out exclusives and have petty arguments. It's portable gaming ffs, it's nice to have at least one aspect of gaming where you can get ALL the portable games on just the one handheld.
Mon 13/01/03 at 21:51
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I read MS said they believed it would be another few years before we see a mini Xbox(ie PSone), mabye your friend just interpreted it wrong.
Mon 13/01/03 at 21:29
Regular
In terms of development and games, Nintendo are progressing very quickly - bringing out new and better instalments in the Game Boy series every three years or so. But if they had a little competition, it might do something to prices, which would be good. GBA's are going at reasonable rates at the moment, but with a competitor, they could be much cheaper.
Mon 13/01/03 at 19:22
Regular
""To the pub...""
Well i think its about time their was more competition to nintendo in the handheld market after all its better for everyone becasue then theirs more choice the more competition the better i mean nintendo have had it easy in the handheld department not long ago neo-geo pocket was rivaling the gameboy colour but with not many games etc it failed now theres the gp32 which specs wise beats the GBA hands down but since its not avaliable yet except japan etc that isn't doing too good even though its the first handheld system to acess the internet for online gaming and uses smart-media flash cards for memory it is also a mp3 player.

Thens theres the wonderswan / wonderswan colour / wonderswan crystal a good hand held system from bandai good design good games including games like gundam and goldenaxe and good accesories including software called "wonderwitch" which allows you to make your own games but unfortunatly they still have'nt been released in the U.K

Even though sytems like the GP32 and the Swancrystal are equal or even beat the GBA in technical stats and accesories and design etc it all comes down to the games and just like the playstation 1 & 2 rule when it comes to the this department so does the gameboy when it comes to its massive games libary and the backward compatible "thing".

so people who can't understand why the ps2 is absolutly whiping the gamecube and xbox in sales should look at their gameboy because it has the same advantage both the ps2 and gameboy advane might not be the best thing when it comes to graphics / features etc but they both have the most games and games will always win over specs.

I might get a GBA sp when they arrive here in the UK because of the fact that it has a backlight and folds up to stop scratches to the screen etc the 2 main reasons for not purchasing a GBA but if the wonderswan crysatl was released over here i might be persuaded.

anyway time to stop my long post well in my standards anyway just to say this the more competion the better i would rather if we had big companys like microsoft and sony and even sega rivaling nintendo in the handheld market the more stiff competion to nintendo the better for consumers.

although even though i own a xbox and love it to bits i agree microsoft might have a hard time with handhelds with its game libary a big problem.

but sony and sega should have ago !
Mon 13/01/03 at 19:03
Regular
"ProGolfer"
If microsoft do release a handheld i can see it selling a few but no where near the amount they need to to break in to the market. I mean nintendo have that market in there little finger if microsft do release a handheld it is have to be absoloutly amazing and something you cant say no to.
Mon 13/01/03 at 19:01
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Just to clear one point up - this isn't news confused with the recent intel thing. Its something Bill Gates recently mentioned.

The only real competition the Gameboy has ever really had was Sega's Gamegear. I don't think the likes of Atari and the Neo Geo Pocket's efforts can even be counted as competition as not only did they lack in games severely, but the Neo Geo in particular has always been a console brand with a small fanbase supporting it.
And of course with its games, although good, were basically spin offs of Neo Geo games (i.e - all based on shed loads of 2D beat em ups).

The Gamegear was good, but of course it ate through batteries like a monster as it took a lot to power its colour graphics at the time. Now it looks like there are ways to get around it as the the Gameboy colour and GBA have shown. Not only that, but in the time of the Gamegear, kids were seen as the main audience so besides a lack of decent games compared to the Gameboy, the battery life also really brought it down as no kids or parents could really afford to replace them every couple of hours when a Gameboy could last for ages.

The handheld market can't be dismissed as won, because Nintendo have sod all competition from companies with enough money to back a new console and get their foot in the door. It will be extremely difficult of course, but Microsoft making an attempt in this area could be a blessing in disguise because as someone mentioned, it could give Nintendo the kick up the backside they need to improve the future of their own handheld consoles.

Its not something worth getting into too much right now as its still a long way off, but it could make for a topic of interest later on. Plus if Microsoft take a shot at it and do a decent job, Sony could well follow in too which could make for a pretty good handheld market as well as the home consoles.
Mon 13/01/03 at 18:45
Regular
Cool.

I'll be buying one of them, If they are released. Heck, Nintendo have pretty much locked the handheld market, But just like consoles, The Xbox is now accepted and is a contender in the console war. I look forward to seeing Microsoft and Nintendo competing again. They both make great consoles.

Heck what can MS think of next?

"Featuring the "B" Controller, After countless debates over wether the Xbox controllers "Xbox jewel" was ugly or attractive, Microsoft have decided to release a brand new one, dubbed the "B". After looking at the controller when the Xbox is'nt on, it just seems normal. Turn it on and voila! The jewel lights up and a picture of Mr Bill Gates himself appears! Now this might sound incredibly boring and pretty much pointless, But the little devil speaks to you and you can speak back through the B-Microphone (optional add on). Yes! Now you TOO can make a brand new friend in the very comfort of your Xbox, Heck, you can even play poker. Heh, Microsoft, Those Crazy Cats."

Pfft.
Mon 13/01/03 at 18:44
Regular
Never had a handheld, and I don't want one.
Diddlesquat annoying things.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.