GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Personal Web Server"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/01/02 at 16:27
Regular
I did have OmniHTTPd as recommended by Rob, but the date expired on it, but when I went to the Web Site for the newer version, the site is no longer there ... is there a new address for it?

If not, could anyone recomend another Server that I could use to help test my sites offline??

Also, would I be able to just download PHP and set my computer to run anything with a .php extenstion to run through the PHP.exe file, like other programs, or does it have to be through a Server enviornment??

Thanks to anyone for their help :o).
Wed 30/01/02 at 23:19
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
C:\Chris J Haig\Web Server\HtDocs is where the index script is, and is the default Web Site area, if that makes sence, (i.e. equal to the htdocs on our Freeola Space)

I was just wondering what the Path to the root would be for my local PC (like the freeola one is /freeola/users/*/*/sr*******/htdocs)

Hope that was put clearer, if not, sorry again.
Wed 30/01/02 at 23:11
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Er... not sure what you're asking really. Example? I will say this though: Apache ignores anything beginning with a "." (it's a Unix thing), including "./" and "../", although I expect you can tell it to show everything.

BBIAB, pudding...
Wed 30/01/02 at 23:07
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
It's ok, I finally got it working, justs changed the settins to what was needed. Then the PHP wouldn't work, but I found that was because the Server was looking for it in a wired place, but eh, it's done now......... well.

Last thing I'd like to ask, probably Rob's the best for this one.

What would I put as beeing the Root for my own computer???I have:
$dh = opendir("C:/Chris J Haig/Web Server/htdocs");
as the index script is to list whats in the directory, and I want it to be for the current directory, as listed above, but it only display the '.' and the '..' one's, whereever they are.

If I just put a '/' in the opendir(); bit it shows what on my Hard Drive, files and folders, but it doesn't work when I dive into Sub Folders .... any ideas???
Wed 30/01/02 at 23:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Yeah. That's all I use it for. Granted, it's a tad difficult to set up, but believe it or not servers handle PHP (and ASP...) differently. You will be installing on an Apache server, and you really should test under an Apache server (ideally under a Unix environment). Believe me, I wasn't in a hurry to install Apache but I soon realised that I had to if I wanted a particular script to behave the same locally and remotely.
Wed 30/01/02 at 22:55
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Do you reckon Apache is really a simple / viable alternative for those of us who just want to check that our php pages work before uploading them to our web site?
Wed 30/01/02 at 22:49
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
...or Apache. Which kicks ass. Mightilly.
Wed 30/01/02 at 22:47
Regular
"whoneedsatagline?"
Nah, forget it - install Xitami instead.
Wed 30/01/02 at 22:43
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Ooooh, this sounds like a Registry job. Nasty.
Wed 30/01/02 at 22:19
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I unistalled it all and deleted the Folder it was in, but when I re-installed it, the settings were still like they were before, the ones I changed it to. So I thought maybe there was another file somewhere where the Server Software looked.

I'll try what you said though, as I downloaded the New Relese as said on the site, but was still out of date. So maybe what you said will work :o)
Wed 30/01/02 at 21:43
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
cjh wrote:
> Does anyone know where the files are for the server??

I uninstalled it all
> and re-did it when I downloaded the newer version, and it wouldn't work, as it
> had all the old settings which I made some how.

So where can I delete the
> file that has these settings, thanx

The update is on the site at www.omnicron.com - the first page "Emergency Version 2.09 Partial Release" - they didnt do a full release - all you can do is install the old one and then patch it. it's the same one that was on my site though.

I had a problem updating mine. I tried copying the update into the relavent folder (c:/omnihttpd/) and it didnt work. However, when I ran the files from the zip (ie, unzipped and just ran the exe file in there) it worked fine.

I have no idea why it didnt work (i thought it was just me being dumb), but i tried re-copying it yesterday and it works fine again! Very... random!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.