GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Personal Web Server"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 26/01/02 at 16:27
Regular
I did have OmniHTTPd as recommended by Rob, but the date expired on it, but when I went to the Web Site for the newer version, the site is no longer there ... is there a new address for it?

If not, could anyone recomend another Server that I could use to help test my sites offline??

Also, would I be able to just download PHP and set my computer to run anything with a .php extenstion to run through the PHP.exe file, like other programs, or does it have to be through a Server enviornment??

Thanks to anyone for their help :o).
Sat 26/01/02 at 16:27
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I did have OmniHTTPd as recommended by Rob, but the date expired on it, but when I went to the Web Site for the newer version, the site is no longer there ... is there a new address for it?

If not, could anyone recomend another Server that I could use to help test my sites offline??

Also, would I be able to just download PHP and set my computer to run anything with a .php extenstion to run through the PHP.exe file, like other programs, or does it have to be through a Server enviornment??

Thanks to anyone for their help :o).
Sat 26/01/02 at 16:50
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
cjh wrote:
> I did have OmniHTTPd as recommended by Rob, but the date expired on it, but when
> I went to the Web Site for the newer version, the site is no longer there ... is
> there a new address for it?

I've got the exact same problem, I didn't say anything because I thought that a new version should be out now, but every time I try to access it, it just says the page cannot be displayed. So I'd appreciate if you could tell me if they have moved to a different address or there is another server out there that is as easy to use as OmniHTTPd, thanks.
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Well dunno anything about Omnihttpd to be honest...
But you might consider phpdev. Its apache for windows with the php module installed (can also download versions that have perl and/or mysql too).
I've downloaded it myself in the past, was just a matter of installing it into the right directory, running the batch file and that was it.

http://firepages.com.au/devindex.htm
Sat 26/01/02 at 21:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I use Apache under Windows. It's a bit of a pain to configure, but you get the hang of it. http://www.apache.org, and as I remember there's lots of help files.

As for PHP.exe, well. Hmm. You could, but there wouldn't be much point as all it would do is display it in an MS-DOS window, which would promptly disappear (because they're crap).
Sat 26/01/02 at 23:24
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
cjh wrote:
> I did have OmniHTTPd as recommended by Rob, but the date expired on it, but when
> I went to the Web Site for the newer version, the site is no longer there ... is
> there a new address for it?

I run the same server and downloaded a patch from the site about a month ago after it stopped working at new year. I assume the site is just down rather than it being a permanent thing. I think i still have the zip file on my other 'puter so i can send it you if you like?

i dont have access to that machine til next week, but let me know if you'd like it.
Sun 27/01/02 at 00:33
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
That would have been very nice of you if you could have done that for me :o). But when my old version stopped working, I deleted the whole thing before attempting to downloading the new version ..... pretty dumb, I know. But thanx for the offer :o).

But as for the Site, it's been down for a couple of weeks, so not sure as to why, but it looks like it's been taken off-line altogether.
Sun 27/01/02 at 01:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Registrar: Webnames.ca (UBC Research Enterprises Inc.)
Registrar-no: 70
Registrant-no: 15094
Domaine-no: 15094
Subdomain: omnicron.ab.ca
Date-Received:
Date-Approved: 2000/10/11
Date-Modified: 2002/01/12
Renewal-Date: 2002/01/12
Organization: Omnicron Technologies Corporation
etc...

Suspended then. Went bust, not surprised.
Sun 27/01/02 at 12:11
Regular
"You Will Bow To Me"
cjh wrote:
> That would have been very nice of you if you could have done that for me :o).
> But when my old version stopped working, I deleted the whole thing before
> attempting to downloading the new version ..... pretty dumb, I know. But thanx
> for the offer :o).

I've got the original release too (the zip from the site) so i can upload it all sometime if you like?
Sun 27/01/02 at 14:48
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
That would be cool :o)

Thanks for taking the time to do it :o).
Mon 28/01/02 at 08:56
Turbonutter wrote:
> Suspended then. Went bust, not surprised.

Thats funny. I have never had that problem whilst using MS PWS to develop in ASP...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.