GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What should I do..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/01/03 at 19:38
Regular
I have an MP3 player. It's one of those Kodak MC3 things and as a player it's not too shabby. Unfortunately it only has 16mb, which is bad to say the least.

The problem is this, I could get a cheap 256mb compact flash card and store 50 or so songs for £60. I was fine(ish) with that until I saw the Archos Jukebox for £160 with 10gb of storage and the MP3 CD players on SR for £50 storing around 150 songs. Now I have a dillema.

So, do I
a)get the 256mb card now for my current, and fairly small, MP3 player.
b)get a CD MP3 player, which is bigger and more cumbersome, but plays CDRW disks of MP3s
c) save up for ages and try for the 10gb jukebox, which is bigger than the Kodak thing but stores many more songs.

The problem is that taking any of these to Spain each year will involve some wear and tear and I'd prefer them in my pocket to my bag for the plane. hm.

Ideas?
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:19
Regular
pb should eat some lovely lorris, that'll sort out all of pb's troubles.

mmm, lorris.
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:17
"Uzi Lover"
er-no wrote:
> Get an iPod.
>
> It'll change your life.

I second that.

It brought love back into my family.
Tue 14/01/03 at 22:14
Regular
"everyone says it"
Get an iPod.

It'll change your life.
Tue 14/01/03 at 20:12
But surely you have to buy the mp3 player which in itself is rather expensive and then you have to buy the memory cards and therefore just to save space you are hundreds of pounds down? I must be missing something here...
Tue 14/01/03 at 20:00
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hm....that odd.

I agree about the media - its so much easier to carry 55 albums in your pocket, not the CDs they come on.
Tue 14/01/03 at 19:57
"possibly impossible"
I prefer MP3 because your files are all stored on PC and can be moved around to cards and back with ease. Cards are coming down in price, hopefully by the end of the year we may see 512mb cards come down below £100. This means you'd only need one card for aroud 10 albums, so no media to carry around and only a really small player in your pocket. With Minidisc you still have lots of media and you'd still end up with at least a couple of discs in your pocket. Plus it's moving parts again, so you still get problems and I know so many people who have broken theirs.

The iPod on Jigsaw was £257.33 inc VAT, so no go there at the moment. The Archos was around £180 though. Mind you, it's still a way off my current bank balance.

Maybe its the memory and then upgrade to 512mb in a couple of years.
Tue 14/01/03 at 19:56
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
Flash card

No point putting what you already have to waste is there.

Unless you auction it off on Ebay and put that towards a new one.
Tue 14/01/03 at 19:50
pb wrote:
> agent under fire wrote:
> I reckon you would save money by just buying an minidsic player
>
> I'm trying to get away from the idea of carrying lots of media around
> and only having a single piece of media, be it a CD or compact flash
> card. Though they sound a little superior, minidiscs seem too retro.

Fair enough. Since your talking about the subject can someone explain to me what is better about mp3 players because i have never seen the advantage to minidiscs because it costs so much to have one memory card (if you want a goodin') Is it just that you can carry all your music on one disc?
Tue 14/01/03 at 19:50
"period drama"
iPod all the way.
Go fetch.
Tue 14/01/03 at 19:49
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I have the beatman flash one from here.
64 Mb with extra available by adding flash cards.

Is tiny, easy to use and pretty cool.

I don't like the CD ones personally, large and CD's sometimes jump, get damaged etc.

Also the large 10GB ones seem to have more problems associated with them. From what I have heard.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.