GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What should I do..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 14/01/03 at 19:38
Regular
I have an MP3 player. It's one of those Kodak MC3 things and as a player it's not too shabby. Unfortunately it only has 16mb, which is bad to say the least.

The problem is this, I could get a cheap 256mb compact flash card and store 50 or so songs for £60. I was fine(ish) with that until I saw the Archos Jukebox for £160 with 10gb of storage and the MP3 CD players on SR for £50 storing around 150 songs. Now I have a dillema.

So, do I
a)get the 256mb card now for my current, and fairly small, MP3 player.
b)get a CD MP3 player, which is bigger and more cumbersome, but plays CDRW disks of MP3s
c) save up for ages and try for the 10gb jukebox, which is bigger than the Kodak thing but stores many more songs.

The problem is that taking any of these to Spain each year will involve some wear and tear and I'd prefer them in my pocket to my bag for the plane. hm.

Ideas?
Sat 18/01/03 at 07:57
Regular
"smelly boxers"
Fri 17/01/03 at 00:34
Regular
"everyone says it"
sideshow buzz wrote:
> can you get pc compatible i-pods or are they only mac friendly?

PC compatable now, although you could make them all as there is free software available.

*kisses his iPod*
Fri 17/01/03 at 00:27
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
can you get pc compatible i-pods or are they only mac friendly?
Fri 17/01/03 at 00:24
Regular
"everyone says it"
Seriously pb.

Save and get an iPod.

It creates peace.
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:17
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
320 is the bit sampling rate. Audio is an analouge signal so to convert it to digital it needs to be sampled.
So every second the data is sampled a number of times, the more you sample the more like the original it will sound.

I one I have has 64mb in it and I have a 128mb card in it at the moment as well
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:14
Wow i have never noticed any of the stuff about bit rates. I alwasy wondered how some files were so much larger and now i see they are the ones with 320. Now can someone explain why that is that number?I need to understand these things...
Regular
"Z will be here soon"
I have these really expensive sony headphones that make anything sound better quality, they not really THAT expensive I suppose, if you like your music. Probably about £25, gold plated wire and stuff.
"possibly impossible"
Well, with a 256mb card and at 96kbps I could probably fit all the Counting Crows albums and other live stuff I have on to the MP3 player.
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:11
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
320 is the best I think you can get, but with a larger sampling rate you get a larger file size, when listening with headphones it dosn't really matter that much.

I would be wary of buying the jukebox ones, have heard they encounter some problems, like deleting all the files etc.

Just uploading some counting corws to my freecom beatman flash one now :-)
Thu 16/01/03 at 20:11
"possibly impossible"
above CD quality.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.