GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why is there silent letters in the English alphabet."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/01/02 at 18:09
Regular
I get really anoyed with silent letters such as the b in crumb there is no point.
Fri 25/01/02 at 23:34
Regular
Silent letters don't bother me. It's the invisible ones on here that bother me...
Fri 25/01/02 at 23:46
Regular
Yeah those invisible ones get up to a whole lotta mischief, name calling and you can't even see them, at least the silent ones don't talk.
Fri 25/01/02 at 23:56
Regular
"++ Anti Antler ++"
Hmm... Is this up to you to decide? And what does it matter? I have used five silent letters in this post.
Sat 26/01/02 at 03:17
Regular
"That's right!"
Doesn't our language rule?
Sat 26/01/02 at 07:35
Regular
""
Pokemon hater wrote:
> And what is the point of always having U after Q.

Right... the letter is pronounced queue but when it's used in a word without the u it is pronounced as a (cu)p! Get it. The only reason the letter Q is pronounced Queue is because of the u in Queue!
Sat 26/01/02 at 07:39
Regular
""
Dringo wrote:
> Yeah those invisible ones get up to a whole lotta mischief, name calling and you
> can't even see them, at least the silent ones don't talk.

The invisible ones are the ones that whisper in your ear during an exam and tell u the wrong answers. Blame the invisible letters!
Sat 26/01/02 at 10:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I think crum sounds worse than crumb..... probably because I'm used to it with a b, but anyway, this is a pretty pointless topic.
Sat 26/01/02 at 11:18
So what about photograph it has two ph's when there should be two f's so it should be fotograf.
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:49
Regular
We "read" something and when we've finished, we've "read" it.

Read ("reed") and read ("red") - different pronunciation, same spelling.... daft if you ask me.
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:53
the alphabet is dodgy in the first place anyway so there! silent letters i think are useful as they help pronounce words like crumb as you said. i can't imagine myself saying crum but that's probably because we've been saying crumb our entire life ain't it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.