GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why is there silent letters in the English alphabet."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/01/02 at 18:09
Regular
I get really anoyed with silent letters such as the b in crumb there is no point.
Fri 25/01/02 at 18:09
I get really anoyed with silent letters such as the b in crumb there is no point.
Fri 25/01/02 at 18:20
?
Fri 25/01/02 at 18:25
i agree like why isnt queue just spelt like Q?
Fri 25/01/02 at 18:35
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
Serious Dave wrote:
> i agree like why isnt queue just spelt like Q?

Because Q is a letter, queue is a word; see the difference?

*dons his auld mans hat*

In my day, a remark about punctuation like you young miscreants are doing would have resulted in a whipping with a cane...you don't know when you were born...

*takes off his auld mans hat*
Fri 25/01/02 at 18:36
Or the que as in snooker que.
Fri 25/01/02 at 18:37
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I think you'll find it's a snooker "cue". Does anyone know their english in here!?
Fri 25/01/02 at 18:42
And what is the point of always having U after Q.
Fri 25/01/02 at 18:45
Regular
"That's right!"
All this stuff was decided over 200 years ago

I think that's why the Americans spell differently, other than them just being stupid I mean ;)

When the settlers went over, we spelt colour - "color" and all the other weird mistakes they make. They stuck with them while we changed ours slightly

I don't see the English language changing too much in the near future, except for American pressure to have programme changed to their version - "program"

But getting rid of silent letters - don't see it happening
Fri 25/01/02 at 19:00
Regular
"5 European Cups!!!"
I think there are silent letters because they help to seperate the same sounding word into 3 or 4 uses
Fri 25/01/02 at 23:30
Regular
"699 days!"
Silent letters used to be pronounced as they came from ncient languages, such as knock used to be pronouned 'ku-nok'. However this fizziled out, so just the pronouncition nok is now used.

However, cheater can you please leard that opening posts in threads should be funny, or making a point, or interesting, or praising somebody. Out if the many posts you spam, sorry make, none I have seen have met any of those requirements. Please get a grip.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.