GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why is there silent letters in the English alphabet."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/01/02 at 18:09
Regular
I get really anoyed with silent letters such as the b in crumb there is no point.
Sat 26/01/02 at 19:22
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
Pokemon hater wrote:
> psycho should be spelt sycho.

In theory, yes, but would it work in practise? I have a feeling that without silent letters, the entire alphabet would crumble and we would all be speaking like vegetables. They wouldn't change it now though, anyway, so we are reasonably safe! They may change it in the future (almost definately after we're all dead, so we won't have to live with the complications), but we're fine for the moment and I like it the way it is.

PORKER
Sat 26/01/02 at 19:18
psycho should be spelt sycho.
Sat 26/01/02 at 19:10
Regular
"Digging!"
americans spell wierd to, eg grey is spelt gray in america.
Sat 26/01/02 at 19:09
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> MoJoJoJo wrote:
> All this stuff was decided over 200 years ago

I think
> that's why the
> Americans spell differently, other than them just being
> stupid I mean ;)

---

I know a lot of it happened during the fities...
> where the American educational system was rapidly deteriorating, so the American
> goverment changed the spellings of many popularly used words, so that they were
> spelt more as they sounded (not quite phonetically, but close), thereby raising
> the level of literacy in America overnight.

So it went from crappy to horrible? ;) Not bad for an overnight change, I suppose :D
Sat 26/01/02 at 19:05
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> All this stuff was decided over 200 years ago

I think that's why the
> Americans spell differently, other than them just being stupid I mean ;)

---

I know a lot of it happened during the fities... where the American educational system was rapidly deteriorating, so the American goverment changed the spellings of many popularly used words, so that they were spelt more as they sounded (not quite phonetically, but close), thereby raising the level of literacy in America overnight.
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:53
Regular
"Shermer, Illinois?"
Meh@the alphabet! ;)
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:53
the alphabet is dodgy in the first place anyway so there! silent letters i think are useful as they help pronounce words like crumb as you said. i can't imagine myself saying crum but that's probably because we've been saying crumb our entire life ain't it?
Sat 26/01/02 at 18:49
Regular
We "read" something and when we've finished, we've "read" it.

Read ("reed") and read ("red") - different pronunciation, same spelling.... daft if you ask me.
Sat 26/01/02 at 11:18
So what about photograph it has two ph's when there should be two f's so it should be fotograf.
Sat 26/01/02 at 10:19
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
I think crum sounds worse than crumb..... probably because I'm used to it with a b, but anyway, this is a pretty pointless topic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.