GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Read it and weep GC and Xbox fanboys!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/01/03 at 11:38
Regular
Production of the PlayStation 2 reached the 50 million unit mark after 2 years and 10 months from its initial debut; 1 year and 2 months faster than it took the original PlayStation console to get to the same point, said SCEI. It also comes just 4 months after PlayStation 2 production passed the 40 million unit mark—this quick jump being helped by record sales of the console over the holiday period.

SCEI said it sold a total of 8.5 million PlayStation 2 consoles during November and December, a jump of 24 percent on the previous year. Of those sales, 4 million were in the North American market, 3.4 million were in the European market and 940,000 units were in the Japanese market. End of year domestic sales were down 27 percent; however, those in North America and Europe were up 42 percent and 27 percent respectively.

Along with the console there are also more than 1,500 software titles available, production of which has passed 300 million units, said SCEI.
Tue 28/01/03 at 18:42
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Update2.01 wrote:
> I think Sony were also first with touch sensitive buttons.

All buttons are touch sensitive to some degree. Even on the Megadrive on Sonic the hedgehog I remember you could tap the button lightly and sonic would do a smaller than usual jump to if you just pushed it normally...
Tue 28/01/03 at 15:06
"slightlyshortertagl"
i hat top score.
Tue 28/01/03 at 15:03
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Silent Hill 2 used analogue button depressions to gauge how hard you were hitting something with a melee weapon. I have no thumbs left. They wore out before the buttons did.
Tue 28/01/03 at 14:46
Regular
I think I've used the analogue feature on the PS2 buttons only once...and that was when I realised that my car could go faster on GTA3 - Other than that, I don't notice any difference in how hard I press the button.
Tue 28/01/03 at 09:14
Regular
As for the rumble pack, - Sony were the first to make it using the mains power from the console. Others required a battery.

I think Sony were also first with touch sensitive buttons.
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:47
"possibly impossible"
Dringo wrote:
> D-pad invented by Nintendo.
>
> Shoulder Buttons invented by Nintendo.
>
> Analogue 3D control first designed by Nintendo.
>
> Rumble feature designed by Nintendo.
>
> Which one of those aren't used in the Duel shock controller?

How different it could have all been...

E-pad invented by a dyslexic worker at Nintendo

Shoulder pads inspired by Dallas

3D fat controller invented by Thomas the Tank Engine

Rumble pad invented by whoopee cushion salesman

Buttons invented by Cadburys
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:42
Regular
D-pad invented by Nintendo.

Shoulder Buttons invented by Nintendo.

Analogue 3D control first designed by Nintendo.

Rumble feature designed by Nintendo.

Which one of those aren't used in the Duel shock controller?
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:34
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Update2.01 wrote:
> I don't like the line of keys (top right) on the XBox handset. GC is
> ok - but then they did copy the PS2.
>
> Alright, it's not the same - but you have to admit, it's a bit
> similar.

Shhhhh, stop making up things...

Nintendo copied Atari by using colour games!

The controller wasn't copied, how can you make a control pad different to any of the others, they've all gotta be similar as there's only a few designs that are possible...

It's very similar to toothbrushes, you can't change them any more can you?
Mon 27/01/03 at 22:26
"For the horde!!!!"
reading all these comments i'm the only one who isn't a fanboy!
Mon 27/01/03 at 19:05
Regular
the only other thing good for it is eventually released multi-format, though I did like Wipeout Fusion, a little, the rest was roobish.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.