GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Read it and weep GC and Xbox fanboys!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/01/03 at 11:38
Regular
Production of the PlayStation 2 reached the 50 million unit mark after 2 years and 10 months from its initial debut; 1 year and 2 months faster than it took the original PlayStation console to get to the same point, said SCEI. It also comes just 4 months after PlayStation 2 production passed the 40 million unit mark—this quick jump being helped by record sales of the console over the holiday period.

SCEI said it sold a total of 8.5 million PlayStation 2 consoles during November and December, a jump of 24 percent on the previous year. Of those sales, 4 million were in the North American market, 3.4 million were in the European market and 940,000 units were in the Japanese market. End of year domestic sales were down 27 percent; however, those in North America and Europe were up 42 percent and 27 percent respectively.

Along with the console there are also more than 1,500 software titles available, production of which has passed 300 million units, said SCEI.
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:38
Regular
Production of the PlayStation 2 reached the 50 million unit mark after 2 years and 10 months from its initial debut; 1 year and 2 months faster than it took the original PlayStation console to get to the same point, said SCEI. It also comes just 4 months after PlayStation 2 production passed the 40 million unit mark—this quick jump being helped by record sales of the console over the holiday period.

SCEI said it sold a total of 8.5 million PlayStation 2 consoles during November and December, a jump of 24 percent on the previous year. Of those sales, 4 million were in the North American market, 3.4 million were in the European market and 940,000 units were in the Japanese market. End of year domestic sales were down 27 percent; however, those in North America and Europe were up 42 percent and 27 percent respectively.

Along with the console there are also more than 1,500 software titles available, production of which has passed 300 million units, said SCEI.
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
How much profit did Sony actually make out of selling that lot then? It would be interesting to know...
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:45
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
And all of that means what exactly?
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:48
Regular
Totoro wrote:
> And all of that means what exactly?

It means Sony have a much larger installed userbase of gamers in the world.
Which means they'll get more developers making games for them.
Which means they'll sell more consoles.
Which means they'll get more developers making games for them.
Ad infinitum.

It also means that they might actually start making a profit on console sales, last time I checked Sony were propping up the gaming division with profits from their other divisions. That might have changed in the last 12 months though, I haven't checked.
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:48
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
I hate to burst your bubble boys but one of the creators of the PS2 in a romp when he was onstage said that the PS2 has parts in it which are supposed to malfunction OR break very easily so that people have to buy 2.

Now that pi**ed me off cos I'm a mega PS2 fan. BUT they were designed to go wrong so we have to buy another.
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:50
Regular
So in reality Sony only sold 25 million units to date and the rest were replacements?
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:50
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
Totoro wrote:
> And all of that means what exactly?

it means topscore can read sales figures from a report, then write them down again.
What a clever boy
:)
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:51
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Does it really matter that much if X console sells more than Y console?
The answer is no.
As long as people are happy with whatever console(s) they own, sales figures we've been deluged with over recent weeks aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
So what if Sony sells 100 billion PS2s, who gives a damn?
As long as I have my PS2, Gamecube and Xbox, and am able to enjoy all the great games on each system, I don't really care how many others are sold.
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:53
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
I mean look at it this way, in my 500 or so day of being here, I have seen many people complaining about their PS2's.

"oh my lasers broken"
"my disc tray radomly opens"
"my memory card doesn't get rocognised"
Fri 24/01/03 at 11:53
Regular
Possum in a bottle wrote:
> I hate to burst your bubble boys but one of the creators of the PS2 in
> a romp when he was onstage said that the PS2 has parts in it which are
> supposed to malfunction OR break very easily so that people have to
> buy 2.
>
> Now that pi**ed me off cos I'm a mega PS2 fan. BUT they were designed
> to go wrong so we have to buy another.

I think you will find that it is Xbox that use cheap @ss products like dvd drives that scratch discs, but then again MS would not do something like that because they are such a fair and just company. It is just people puting the disc in wrongly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.