GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Endings"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/01/02 at 09:46
Regular
I finished Conker's Bad Fur Day yesterday.

Yep, that's for the first time, I've just been busy, y'know.

It took 15 hours and 27 minutes, and what a great 15 hours and 27 minutes it was.

Which brings me on to the ending, well, everything after the 'Vertex' section. I'm so glad I didn't have the ending spoilt for me, so if you haven't played it, and intend to, don't read on.

But man, is that ever a shock, when Berri gets gunned down? Christ, I wasn't expecting that!

Then when you defeat the alien you get possibly the most original end sequence ever. Never have I seen an ending so sad!

When Conker is in the bar at the very end, depressed, I just kept expecting something good to happen, but it just never did, which was perhaps the biggest surprise of all.

Of course, it's left wide open for a sequel. I can see Conker trying to bring Berri back to life, so more fun with zombies could be in order 'Grabbed By the Ghoulies' is already a name that Rare have shown interest in.

But anyway, I didn't start this thread just to talk about the greatness of the ending of CBFD, but to discuss endings in general.

After playing for such a long time, you want things to draw together, to some kind of conclusion. It's fine to leave a chance of a sequel, but you don't want it to just end after you defeat the boss with a "Well done!", you need something special to make it all worthwhile.

I have been a little disappointed with som endings in the past, they've been too short, or have left something from the story hanging lose, which can be really annoying.

Conker was pretty linear. Basically you couldn't complete the game without doing a set of specific things. As such there can be only one ending. But the concept of multiple endings is one that I feel should be used more in the future.

The game should have a number of different paths you could go down, and characters you can meet. As such, when you reach the conclusion of the game, it could go a few different ways.

Back to Conker (again). Imagine if there were a couple of side quests that you didn't have to complete. What if one of them lead to the death of the Professor earlier in the game? At the end you'd have to fight the Panther King instead of the alien. Something like this would certainly add to the replay value, as you'd want to see all of the ways it could turn out.

Anyway, enough from me.

Here's to Rare for creating a great game, with a fantastic ending.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 17/01/02 at 09:46
Regular
"not dead"
I finished Conker's Bad Fur Day yesterday.

Yep, that's for the first time, I've just been busy, y'know.

It took 15 hours and 27 minutes, and what a great 15 hours and 27 minutes it was.

Which brings me on to the ending, well, everything after the 'Vertex' section. I'm so glad I didn't have the ending spoilt for me, so if you haven't played it, and intend to, don't read on.

But man, is that ever a shock, when Berri gets gunned down? Christ, I wasn't expecting that!

Then when you defeat the alien you get possibly the most original end sequence ever. Never have I seen an ending so sad!

When Conker is in the bar at the very end, depressed, I just kept expecting something good to happen, but it just never did, which was perhaps the biggest surprise of all.

Of course, it's left wide open for a sequel. I can see Conker trying to bring Berri back to life, so more fun with zombies could be in order 'Grabbed By the Ghoulies' is already a name that Rare have shown interest in.

But anyway, I didn't start this thread just to talk about the greatness of the ending of CBFD, but to discuss endings in general.

After playing for such a long time, you want things to draw together, to some kind of conclusion. It's fine to leave a chance of a sequel, but you don't want it to just end after you defeat the boss with a "Well done!", you need something special to make it all worthwhile.

I have been a little disappointed with som endings in the past, they've been too short, or have left something from the story hanging lose, which can be really annoying.

Conker was pretty linear. Basically you couldn't complete the game without doing a set of specific things. As such there can be only one ending. But the concept of multiple endings is one that I feel should be used more in the future.

The game should have a number of different paths you could go down, and characters you can meet. As such, when you reach the conclusion of the game, it could go a few different ways.

Back to Conker (again). Imagine if there were a couple of side quests that you didn't have to complete. What if one of them lead to the death of the Professor earlier in the game? At the end you'd have to fight the Panther King instead of the alien. Something like this would certainly add to the replay value, as you'd want to see all of the ways it could turn out.

Anyway, enough from me.

Here's to Rare for creating a great game, with a fantastic ending.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.