GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Endings"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/01/02 at 09:46
Regular
I finished Conker's Bad Fur Day yesterday.

Yep, that's for the first time, I've just been busy, y'know.

It took 15 hours and 27 minutes, and what a great 15 hours and 27 minutes it was.

Which brings me on to the ending, well, everything after the 'Vertex' section. I'm so glad I didn't have the ending spoilt for me, so if you haven't played it, and intend to, don't read on.

But man, is that ever a shock, when Berri gets gunned down? Christ, I wasn't expecting that!

Then when you defeat the alien you get possibly the most original end sequence ever. Never have I seen an ending so sad!

When Conker is in the bar at the very end, depressed, I just kept expecting something good to happen, but it just never did, which was perhaps the biggest surprise of all.

Of course, it's left wide open for a sequel. I can see Conker trying to bring Berri back to life, so more fun with zombies could be in order 'Grabbed By the Ghoulies' is already a name that Rare have shown interest in.

But anyway, I didn't start this thread just to talk about the greatness of the ending of CBFD, but to discuss endings in general.

After playing for such a long time, you want things to draw together, to some kind of conclusion. It's fine to leave a chance of a sequel, but you don't want it to just end after you defeat the boss with a "Well done!", you need something special to make it all worthwhile.

I have been a little disappointed with som endings in the past, they've been too short, or have left something from the story hanging lose, which can be really annoying.

Conker was pretty linear. Basically you couldn't complete the game without doing a set of specific things. As such there can be only one ending. But the concept of multiple endings is one that I feel should be used more in the future.

The game should have a number of different paths you could go down, and characters you can meet. As such, when you reach the conclusion of the game, it could go a few different ways.

Back to Conker (again). Imagine if there were a couple of side quests that you didn't have to complete. What if one of them lead to the death of the Professor earlier in the game? At the end you'd have to fight the Panther King instead of the alien. Something like this would certainly add to the replay value, as you'd want to see all of the ways it could turn out.

Anyway, enough from me.

Here's to Rare for creating a great game, with a fantastic ending.
Fri 18/01/02 at 20:07
All games are linear in the fact that all games have one main goal, but the endings over the past couple of years have been dire. Re; CBFD, Nintendo expected the hype that GTA got, with the game being attractive to a more post-adolescent audience, however the fact that N64's key demographic was much younger than that meant that kids only found swearing and bodily functions humourous funny for a short period of time. The ending was meant for a big cash-in on the hype generated, but the fact that the console war was already over at the time meant there weren't that many people that cared
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:34
The Max Payne ending is good....a bit, yeah I thought that would happen but it was good.

I think endings in Games are starting to vastly improve. Definately over some of the games released in the past 2 yrs or so.
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:20
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
What do people think of theMax Payne ending?
Thu 17/01/02 at 20:18
Regular
Nintendo is wrong, and I am right. Trust me. :0)

Their website says also that it hasn't been granted a ESPA rating too, and there's no info on it's page. I just expect it hasn't really been updated.
Thu 17/01/02 at 19:51
Regular
"not dead"
It's Eternal Arcadia on the Gamecube release list on www.nintendogamecube.com
Thu 17/01/02 at 19:39
Regular
Excellent. And at the top it must stay. :0)

I think it's just called Eternal Arcadia in Japan, though. Still called Skies over here.
Thu 17/01/02 at 19:26
Regular
"not dead"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Meka, you've really got to play Skies of Arcadia though. Make sure you buy it as
> soon as it comes out on the Gamecube.

Out of interest, are you pre-ordering?
> I can't remember...

Yep. I've pre-ordered.

Eternal Arcadia is on my 'must-have' list, don't worry. ;-)
Thu 17/01/02 at 18:17
Regular
Meka, you've really got to play Skies of Arcadia though. Make sure you buy it as soon as it comes out on the Gamecube.

Out of interest, are you pre-ordering? I can't remember...
Thu 17/01/02 at 18:04
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I sadly never got round to playing the game.. I was always looking foward to it then gave up on my N64 when there was a huge game drought :/ Perfect Dark was the last game I ever played.
Thu 17/01/02 at 18:01
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
The thing about endings in computer games is that are not too good as the storyline is not to good. With games the things you can do with some storylines is limited as in many films there are many times where the character is just talking. Not many people like these talking bits so they just make it as much gameplay and as less storyline as possible.

Take Perfect Dark for example.. the girl never stopped doing anything but going on missions where she got to shoot things. If it was a film it would be more developed as they would have scenes in between revealing more about characters and developing a good storyline. As a result endings usually fail badly as well. It's always "I beat the bad guy lets celebrate world is saved". All endings tend to be based loosely on that storyline.

If you want a good storyline in a game the only place it will go hand in hand with gameplay is an RPG. Otherwise the storyline just isn't going to work..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.