GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Endings"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/01/02 at 09:46
Regular
I finished Conker's Bad Fur Day yesterday.

Yep, that's for the first time, I've just been busy, y'know.

It took 15 hours and 27 minutes, and what a great 15 hours and 27 minutes it was.

Which brings me on to the ending, well, everything after the 'Vertex' section. I'm so glad I didn't have the ending spoilt for me, so if you haven't played it, and intend to, don't read on.

But man, is that ever a shock, when Berri gets gunned down? Christ, I wasn't expecting that!

Then when you defeat the alien you get possibly the most original end sequence ever. Never have I seen an ending so sad!

When Conker is in the bar at the very end, depressed, I just kept expecting something good to happen, but it just never did, which was perhaps the biggest surprise of all.

Of course, it's left wide open for a sequel. I can see Conker trying to bring Berri back to life, so more fun with zombies could be in order 'Grabbed By the Ghoulies' is already a name that Rare have shown interest in.

But anyway, I didn't start this thread just to talk about the greatness of the ending of CBFD, but to discuss endings in general.

After playing for such a long time, you want things to draw together, to some kind of conclusion. It's fine to leave a chance of a sequel, but you don't want it to just end after you defeat the boss with a "Well done!", you need something special to make it all worthwhile.

I have been a little disappointed with som endings in the past, they've been too short, or have left something from the story hanging lose, which can be really annoying.

Conker was pretty linear. Basically you couldn't complete the game without doing a set of specific things. As such there can be only one ending. But the concept of multiple endings is one that I feel should be used more in the future.

The game should have a number of different paths you could go down, and characters you can meet. As such, when you reach the conclusion of the game, it could go a few different ways.

Back to Conker (again). Imagine if there were a couple of side quests that you didn't have to complete. What if one of them lead to the death of the Professor earlier in the game? At the end you'd have to fight the Panther King instead of the alien. Something like this would certainly add to the replay value, as you'd want to see all of the ways it could turn out.

Anyway, enough from me.

Here's to Rare for creating a great game, with a fantastic ending.
Thu 17/01/02 at 09:46
Regular
"not dead"
I finished Conker's Bad Fur Day yesterday.

Yep, that's for the first time, I've just been busy, y'know.

It took 15 hours and 27 minutes, and what a great 15 hours and 27 minutes it was.

Which brings me on to the ending, well, everything after the 'Vertex' section. I'm so glad I didn't have the ending spoilt for me, so if you haven't played it, and intend to, don't read on.

But man, is that ever a shock, when Berri gets gunned down? Christ, I wasn't expecting that!

Then when you defeat the alien you get possibly the most original end sequence ever. Never have I seen an ending so sad!

When Conker is in the bar at the very end, depressed, I just kept expecting something good to happen, but it just never did, which was perhaps the biggest surprise of all.

Of course, it's left wide open for a sequel. I can see Conker trying to bring Berri back to life, so more fun with zombies could be in order 'Grabbed By the Ghoulies' is already a name that Rare have shown interest in.

But anyway, I didn't start this thread just to talk about the greatness of the ending of CBFD, but to discuss endings in general.

After playing for such a long time, you want things to draw together, to some kind of conclusion. It's fine to leave a chance of a sequel, but you don't want it to just end after you defeat the boss with a "Well done!", you need something special to make it all worthwhile.

I have been a little disappointed with som endings in the past, they've been too short, or have left something from the story hanging lose, which can be really annoying.

Conker was pretty linear. Basically you couldn't complete the game without doing a set of specific things. As such there can be only one ending. But the concept of multiple endings is one that I feel should be used more in the future.

The game should have a number of different paths you could go down, and characters you can meet. As such, when you reach the conclusion of the game, it could go a few different ways.

Back to Conker (again). Imagine if there were a couple of side quests that you didn't have to complete. What if one of them lead to the death of the Professor earlier in the game? At the end you'd have to fight the Panther King instead of the alien. Something like this would certainly add to the replay value, as you'd want to see all of the ways it could turn out.

Anyway, enough from me.

Here's to Rare for creating a great game, with a fantastic ending.
Thu 17/01/02 at 10:12
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Yes, I agree CBFD had a great ending. I was a little stunned when Berri got killed, too. When there was the whole 'talking to programmer' business, I kept ssying to myself 'Don't forget to bring here back'... and then he forgets! Nooo!

I love the way everything suddenly makes sense, too. After seeing him unhappy in the throne room it the intro at the start of the game.. all those people around him. Sudden;y it all fits together, and you realise you'd been so engrossed in the game you hadn't given a second thought to how things were going to turn out like that. It takes you by suprise, even though they've told you how it's going to be. That, for me, is very impressive.

On thing that has always bugged me though.... in other Nintendo games - the fact that you don't have to do everything. Finish the game with 70 stars on mario and you get an ending. Get all 120, and all you get is a brief (and somewhat dissapointing) chat with yoshi. No special ending. On zelda... you spend huors finding all 100 skultula's, and what do you get? 500 rupees for your trouble. (or was it only 100?)

There should be an extra ending, for when everything has been cleared. Remember the early sonic games? You get a different ending if you get all the chaos emeralds. That's the sort of things we should see more of.
Thu 17/01/02 at 10:26
Regular
"not dead"
VenomByte wrote:

There should be an extra ending, for when everything has been cleared.
> Remember the early sonic games? You get a different ending if you get all the
> chaos emeralds. That's the sort of things we should see more of.

Ah yes!

I was playing Rainbow Islands (Megadrive version) only the other month. On each level you had to collect seven diamonds, one for each colour of the rainbow.

If you did so there were a couple of extra levels, a different boss, and a happier ending.

That ruled. Once you were good enough to get to the end, you discovered that if you were even better you could find extra levels.

And with Mario and the 120 stars, I felt a little cheated. All of that hard work (and some of it was very hard) and you just get to see Yoshi. If they'd have let you take Yoshi into the levels, or if there were a couple of extra Yoshi levels, that would have been excellent.

Fortunately I let my brother get all of the Skulltula's first on OoT, so after I saw him get such a crappy reward I didn't see the point in doing it myself!
Thu 17/01/02 at 15:30
Regular
Conkers ending... touching.

Belive it or not, when Conker was talking to the programmers I was tapping the screen saying: "Bring Berry Back! Bring Berry Back!"

Ofcourse, he forgets and after the leave, he says
"Oh no! I forgot to bring Berri back!!"

My response was, "Yes you did, you stupid!!"

:-D

Anyway, the next game?
Conker, went a different way from the pub this time.
He ends up in another part of squirrel land and has an adventure where he ends up pleased where he can lead another life without having to be king anymore!

Only Berri comes back saying:

"Oh THERE you are. I died like, and met Greg who told me to collect tails. So I was like, OKAY... So I, like, got some tails and like, found myself alive again!"

Conker: "Great. So you're coming back to me?"

"No. You lost the kingdom in a day! I'm like staying with someone who's going somewhere."

She goes off with the new king.
Conker is left with nothing.

"You never know what it is you have, until it's gone. Gone for good!"

It reckon it'll be something long those lines atleast! :-D
Thu 17/01/02 at 15:51
Regular
I bet you're right about the Greg thing.

Worst ending ever, was James Pond 2: Robocod. Great game to play, rewarding from start... to nearly end. Then Santa comes along, flys off, and it says "Congratulations" on the screen. Then it immedietely goes back to the start screen.

Happens so fast you don't know what the hell is going on. And it's a HUGE game anyway.

I bought Ghouls and Ghosts the other day, for the Megadrive again. I went into ebay, found it, and won it 2 seconds before it was sold. I rule.

It's a great game, but my God it's hard. I'm dying to see the ending to it, and it BETTER be good. :0)

I've also decided that to be a true hardcore gamer, you've got to play the game from start to finish without losing your armour once. With the tv turned off, so you can't see or hear anything.

On the Professional setting, which I don't even dare go near at the moment. :0)
Thu 17/01/02 at 15:54
Regular
"not dead"
I don't remember the ending of Ghouls and Ghosts.

Perhaps because I had a Japanese copy,so the text wouldn't have meant much to me?
Thu 17/01/02 at 16:27
"You love us!"
Hmmm Ghouls and Ghosts was quite posisble one of the toughest games ever - or at least it was on the SNES!

Don't read any further if you don't want to kwno the end.

At the end you finally reach a huge door that leads to the devils (or lucifer i think they called him), but as you approch the doors the princess appears and tells you that you have no chance of beating him! She then tells you you need an amulet! You are then taken back to the VERY START of the game, here you'll find the amulet in the first treasure chest you find - you must now play through the game ll the way again. When you've done so you can go through the doors and kick some satan butt - with the all powerful amulet.

So you gotta' play throught he game TWICE - how hard!
I got to the end first time around, found out about the stupid amulet thing and gave up - how gonna sit there and play through again - damn tough enough first time around!

Good luck, you'll need it!
Thu 17/01/02 at 16:29
"You love us!"
Must apologise for the poor spelling and grammer in the last post - busy at work! And other such lame excuses!
Thu 17/01/02 at 17:05
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> I finished Conker's Bad Fur Day yesterday.

Yep, that's for the first time,
> I've just been busy, y'know.

It took 15 hours and 27 minutes, and what a
> great 15 hours and 27 minutes it was.

Which brings me on to the ending, well,
> everything after the 'Vertex' section. I'm so glad I didn't have the ending
> spoilt for me, so if you haven't played it, and intend to, don't read
> on.

Too late, oh well.
Thu 17/01/02 at 17:29
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
this is a poitnless post it ruins the game for ohter people...even though it does say not to look (who can resist) i have finished it and not expected for her to (whisper) die

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.