GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wht doesn't Edge magazine like the PS2 ?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 15/01/02 at 23:45
Regular
Flicking through the latest issue (in Smiths) I noticed these scores...

Tony Hawks 3 - 7/10
SSX Tricky - 7/10
MGS2 - 8/10

Are they always this harsh with every console/review ?
What do they want for their money ?
Mon 21/01/02 at 21:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
It's £3.50, and at the mo there is a special edition out... it has the most important 100 reviews EVER, as well as an index of every game they've reviewed. It's £5

Sonic
Mon 21/01/02 at 18:34
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Well I never bought the mag but I am sure they are not really biased towards other consoles..How much is it anyway
Mon 21/01/02 at 12:46
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Definately... I know so many reviewer who have given great reviews, and then wrecked them with incorrectly giving the game a random number (well... not random, but hey!)

Sonic
Mon 21/01/02 at 09:21
I don't buy it regularly, and when I do get it, it tends to be for the features more than anything else. They do have some interesting stuff in there. I actually think their reviews are pretty good, it's just the scores I take with a pinch of salt. Like it's been said elsewhere, I take more notice of what's said, than an arbitrary value plugged on the end. It's the content that ultimately matters.
Sun 20/01/02 at 15:21
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
devo wrote:
I'm criticising the scoring mechanism
> itself.

Well, of you don't like the mechanism, just don't buy the mag.

It's like all the ninties who say they hate the reviews in NOM because all the games get high scores... just don't buy the mag!

Sonic
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:17
Ignore my GTA3 comment, it's not relevant. I thought you were talking about GTA3 as well.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:15
>> Edge are not harsh in their reviews... you simply don't understand the reviewing system at all!

What a completely patronising comment to make! I do understand their scoring mechanism. In fact, I read it again this month just to make sure they hadn't changed it all. I'm criticising the scoring mechanism itself.

GTA3 was marked at 6, and corrected this issue to be 8.
Sat 19/01/02 at 14:06
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Edge are not harsh in their reviews... you simply don't understand the reviewing system at all!

Games are marked out of 10. Now, seeing as 5 is smack bang in the middle of 0 and 10, then 5/10 is a totally average game. This means it isn't bad, but it is just average... the graphics, sound, gamplay and all have been seen before.

For this reason, a game like GT3 got 6 (or was that 7???)... all it was is GT2 with nicer graphics, and some more realistic handeling... but nothing more. No more modes, no ground breaking ideas.

At the top end of the spectrum, 10/10 means just that- gaming perfection. The game pushes back ALL the boundries in gameplay, sound, style, control...
For that reason, only about 4 games have got 10/10 in the last 3 years! (Zelda was among them).

If anything, other mags, who give 70% to an average game, are being biased TOWARDS the console.

Sonic
Sat 19/01/02 at 13:44
The review scores are harsh across all platforms. In the current issue, both Rogue Squadron II and DOA3 got 7 each. If you read their feature on the state of the three consoles, it's not biased at all, and makes for an interesting read. Though being harsh just seems to mean they have many games in the 7 region, which kind of defeats the object.

I know what you mean about being up themselves. Maybe they should rename the mag from the Edge, to Almost at the Colon. ;-)
Wed 16/01/02 at 13:50
"You love us!"
Personally I’ve never liked Edge magazine. The entire editorial team are so far up their own ars*s I doubt they can even see the game their reviewing let alone judge it fairly – although the mag is very good for jobs with the games biz!

To a point I would have to agree with the poster who said they're to busy kissing MS butt – since Future signed up the ‘official’ license for xBox they’ve done nothing but pander to MS’s every want. Still I guess that’s just good business sense – xbox is a good machine and will sell very well, despite the high price point.

In terms of the scores mentioned in the original post…

Tony Hawks 3 - 7/10
Way to low, this is a 9/10 game In my opinion, and surely most people would agree??

SSX Tricky - 7/10
Dunno, never played the game, although everyone I have spoken to has raved about it.

MGS2 - 8/10
As I’ve said before MGS2 is a 7/10 game in my opinion so I wouldn’t repeat what I’ve already said – It’d just be boring.

Edge generally tend to be harsh with their reviews because they like to project a clinical image - or at least thats what there line to the rest of the industry is! They want the magazine to be see as a ‘cut above’ the other mags out there and they want a good score from Edge to mean something to developers/publishers. Rather than generically giving everything 8’s and 9’s like some mags tend to.

Personally I think it makes them look like people who haven’t got a damn clue and just sell their review scores to the highest bidder – the Halo review and score being a classic example.

Anyway just my 2p’s worth!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.