GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sims PS2 is very good!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 03/02/03 at 12:30
Regular
Got a copy at the weekend, and it is very good. The quality of the graphics is equal if not better than the pc version, and you can zoom right into the action without jaggies. The transfer to PS2 controller is good, with the right stick working the angle and zoom and R1 adjusting the rotation of objects in build mode.

Just make sure you have plenty of space on your memory card as the game saves are big!
Tue 04/02/03 at 16:07
Regular
Don't think you could zoom right in on the pc version - not as much anyway. PS2 version goes right inside the room if you want.
Tue 04/02/03 at 16:06
Regular
"DS..."
another port by a getting greedier by the minute publisher *sigh* what is the world coming to? not a lot if this continues to happen thats for sure :/

slik ~_~
Tue 04/02/03 at 15:18
"Darkness, always"
Update2.01 wrote:
> As for the main appearance of the game on ps2, it is very much like
> the pc version, but with the ability to zoom right into the area

Which you could do in the PC version...
Tue 04/02/03 at 15:12
Regular
Yep, and thats without true 16:9 Widescreen or 60Hz mode in the game. Also, I am referring to the pc version running on a LCD screen where as my tv is CRT - and not 100% flat. In theory, if my tv was one of those nice LCD tv's, PS2 Sims would look that much better again.
Tue 04/02/03 at 13:50
Regular
From what i've seen the graphics on PS2 are much better than the PC version. The PC version uses sprites where as the PS2 version is rendered in full 3D.

Also the lighting is much more detailed and the animation on characters is far better. Little things like the water in the swimming pool actually moving when someone jumps in make it a hell of a lot more pleasing on the eyes.
Tue 04/02/03 at 12:55
Regular
As for the main appearance of the game on ps2, it is very much like the pc version, but with the ability to zoom right into the area. Also for tv graphics, this is very good - it is at least a match for my pc, if not a bit more detailed.

The £20 price of the PC Sims game was for one of the older versions in Woolworths. They also had an updated version (delux?) for pc which was £30

Sims requires a 266Mhz P2 (although this would be very slow, so a faster P2 like 300 or 350Mhz would be better). Not sure about Ram, but I expect it's around 32 or 64Mb if you are running an older version of Windows. Graphics are about 4Mb minimum I think, and you need to add on the price of a monitor. You can get used pc's like this fairly cheap, but as for less than the price of a Dreamcast - I don't think so. Dreamcast's are around the £50 mark.
Tue 04/02/03 at 11:30
Regular
"smile, it's free"
From what I can see, The Sims PS2 has a totally different look to the PC version, yet I imagine it playes much the same underneath it all. Whether it's worth the price depends on how much it takes from the PC expansion packs. The extra social actions & downtown aspects from Hot Date, and the extra objects form Lvin' it up are all that are really worth having in any case.

I still think you need some kind of imagination to play The Sims, which is why so many people get bored of it so quickly. You set your own targets and goals rather than being told what to do - that's the whole idea of it. I'm bored sick of it myself these days, but then I've had it for a couple of years now and I've experimented with just about everything.
Tue 04/02/03 at 11:03
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Update2.01 wrote:
> Got a copy at the weekend, and it is very good.

It must be, SR's latest PS2 chart shows that it has rocketted up to number 3 already. To manage that in such a short period of time it must be selling by the bucketload.

Only thing is, I don't think it's my kind of game, I never really enjoyed Sim City or Theme Park and other games of that ilk, (i.e. real-time management), so I doubt I'll be getting it unless the price drops considerably later on. Mind you, the way it's going it might get a Platinum release in 6 months' time.
Tue 04/02/03 at 10:50
"Darkness, always"
Update2.01 wrote:
> £20 on pc where I am, and anyway - the ps2 version is better
> (not just a port game), and I dont play games on my pc as a rule since
> it's not really quick enough.

You live on the third floor of Harrods or something? And while the PS2 version may be an improvement (if only because they've imported a few aspects of the add-ons), it still isn't worth the price you pay, as you can get Sims plus any number of add-ons for around £25-30, and I could buy a PC to run it for less than the price of a sega dreamcast.
Tue 04/02/03 at 10:48
Regular
Not me, PS2 version is fine for me, and it's a standalone game - no need to install updates.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.